We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Sunday, November 28, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Science & Technology

Your life really does flash before your eyes

February 4, 2017 | Comment icon 9 comments

Near-death experiences tend to be very similar. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 erpete
Some near-death experiencers have reported reliving a vivid series of memories about their own life.
The idea that someone may see their life flashing before their eyes just prior to death might actually have some truth to it - that is at least according to researchers at Hadassah University in Jerusalem who analyzed the accounts of seven people who had reported having near-death experiences.

Rather than seeing their life played back in chronological order like a movie however, the study participants had instead recalled events from their life in a more disjointed fashion.

"There is not a linear progression, there is lack of time limits," one of them wrote. "It was like being there for centuries. I was not in time/space so this question also feels impossible to answer."

"A moment, and a thousand years... both and neither. It all happened at once, or some experiences within my near-death experience were going on at the same time as others, though my human mind separates them into different events."
The researchers believe that these experiences could be caused by the parts of the brain responsible for storing memories such as the prefrontal and parietal cortices.

These regions are typically less prone to the effects of blood and oxygen deprivation and tend to continue functioning until most of the other areas of the brain have shut down.

"Re-experiencing one's own life-events, so-called LRE, is a phenomenon with well-defined characteristics, and its sub-components may be also evident in healthy people," the team wrote.

"This suggests that a representation of life-events as a continuum exists in the cognitive system, and may be further expressed in extreme conditions of psychological and physiological stress."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (9)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
24 / 25
We are 96% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #1 Posted by sees 5 years ago
I had a variation of this that occurred to me when I was drowning in the mediterranean.  After I had given up the struggle and accepted that this was my fate, (i.e. I thought this was the end) my life 'played back' to me with 'highlights' but the experience was not visual....more like a fast forward thought appraisal.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Timonthy 5 years ago
Comment icon #3 Posted by Mark56 5 years ago
The big question is what happens after Brain activity stops? Is it lights out,  forever?
Comment icon #4 Posted by aka CAT 5 years ago
Different highlights of my life have flashed before me on separate occasions. Being that I am very visual, I did perceive a great many images almost at once. The effect was very similar to what I observed during an episode of a television series where numerous pictures, related to the build up of an event, flashed in sequence at a climatic moment-- the moment when a complex understanding is reached by the longtime viewer.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FlyingAngel 5 years ago
I always ask myself this question: is the life I'm currently living is a flashback before I die; is this what's we called
Comment icon #6 Posted by Fallen Michael 5 years ago
We'll although I'm a child still(if you don't believe is fine)i tried this before the time I was hit by a car and it wasn't flash backs instead I have memory that a man which is much more taller than me,held my hand and ask if I wanted to leave or stay,i think the place he asked me was infront of some sort of gates.it happens even in my dreams but the question were slightly changed as I ve grown.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot 5 years ago
I can say that i had one of those experiences when i had car crash, very rough one, and i was unconscious for few minutes. Not that i had pictures of my life pass before my eyes or anything similar but my mind was occupied, 'telling' me about things which i should have done differently, about how i have made a mistake when i stopped talking with a person which is important part of my life today and many more things which i was trying to forget. It all flashed in maybe one second. Many memories gone through my mind in impossibly short amount of time. There was this feeling too. It was kinda sad... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by coolguy 5 years ago
Im sure this happens
Comment icon #9 Posted by FlyingAngel 5 years ago
damn man; it's like God is trying to ask you whether you want to continue to live or ready to move on. The gate is the gate of Paradise / reincarnation