Thursday, September 20, 2018

'Poltergeist' returns castle's lost valuables

Posted on Friday, 4 August, 2017 | Comment icon 17 comments

Who or what took the candlesticks ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Derek Harper
Two priceless candlesticks that went missing years ago have suddenly turned up again in plain sight.
The owner of the historic Ripley Castle in North Yorkshire, England, had last seen the candlesticks, thought to be worth around $11,000, on Christmas Eve in 2014.

Despite multiple thorough searches of the property, no sign of them was ever found and an insurance claim was eventually filed on the assumption that they had been stolen.

Bizarrely however, a short time later, the missing valuables suddenly reappeared, as if from nowhere.

"They were impossible to miss," said Sir Thomas Ingilby.

"To add insult to injury, they were sitting right next to the bag containing the replacements we had purchased with the money from Ecclesiastical."

"Three of us had searched the strong room from top to bottom and I had searched it on three separate occasions. To find them sitting there in such plain view was quite astounding."

Sir Thomas believes that the ghosts of two children, Henry and Mary Ingilby, who were known to have died of leukaemia in the castle during the 19th century, were responsible for hiding the candlesticks.

"We often have customers contact us when items that were feared lost turn up unexpectedly, but these tend to be smaller items like jewellery, which are easy to mislay," said David Bonehill, claims director for Ecclesiastical.

"This is certainly the first time a customer has reimbursed us for items they suspect was returned by a ghost."

Source: Gloucestershire Live | Comments (17)

Tags: Castle, Poltergeist

Comment icon #8 Posted by South Alabam on 4 August, 2017, 17:43
We all know there are more poltergeist in this world than thieves. So what's not to believe about this story?
Comment icon #9 Posted by Matt221 on 4 August, 2017, 17:46
How posh is his nameSir Thomas Ingilby,as for the candle sticks bloody pikeys couldn't shift them so they took them back ...... I'm a little sceptic
Comment icon #10 Posted by Boozemonkey on 4 August, 2017, 20:22
Obvious use of ockhams razor philosophy.....must have been a ghost.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Black Monk on 5 August, 2017, 10:14
It didn't say it's a ghost. It said it's a poltergeist.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Black Monk on 5 August, 2017, 10:16
It's not unusual for objects to appear out of nowhere in poltergeist hauntings. These are known as apports.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Boozemonkey on 5 August, 2017, 17:35
My apologies, I take it back, that makes a lot more sense.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Wreck7 on 5 August, 2017, 19:47
I had the same thing happen with a Zippo lighter. It disappeared off of the fire place mantle one night. I tore the whole house apart looking for it. Then, about two weeks later it reappeared in the same place. I was living by myself at the time.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Matt221 on 5 August, 2017, 20:05
Our old house stuff was forever dissappearing and turning up a couple of days later the house was haunted by a couple of children my wife caught a glimpse of a little boy and I saw an apple jump out of the fruit bowl and gently float across the kitchen all very odd
Comment icon #16 Posted by seanjo on 7 August, 2017, 10:28
b******s!.....bow locks....
Comment icon #17 Posted by ChaosRose on 7 August, 2017, 16:35
I still can't find my laptop. I'll make sure I let people know if it materializes out of thin air, but I'm not holding my breath.

Why do we tend to like bees but hate wasps ?
9-19-2018
A new study has revealed that most people seem to appreciate bees but find wasps annoying and dangerous.
HMS Endeavour may have been found in the US
9-19-2018
The final resting place of one of the world's most famous ships has reportedly been found after 240 years.
Group offers $11,700 for proof of superpowers
9-18-2018
The Society for the Scientific Investigation of Para-Sciences is looking for proof that psychic abilities exist.
UK tsunami risk is much higher than thought
9-18-2018
New research has revealed that the last tsunami to hit the UK was a lot more recent than anyone had realized.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

Swimming with lemon sharks
Posted 8-28-2018 | 1 comment
Steve Backshall gets up close to a group of deadly lemon sharks.

Cousins explained
Posted 8-24-2018 | 4 comments
Exactly what is a third cousin twice removed ? Michael unravels the mystery.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas