Monday, May 21, 2018

'Poltergeist' returns castle's lost valuables

Posted on Friday, 4 August, 2017 | Comment icon 17 comments

Who or what took the candlesticks ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Derek Harper
Two priceless candlesticks that went missing years ago have suddenly turned up again in plain sight.
The owner of the historic Ripley Castle in North Yorkshire, England, had last seen the candlesticks, thought to be worth around $11,000, on Christmas Eve in 2014.

Despite multiple thorough searches of the property, no sign of them was ever found and an insurance claim was eventually filed on the assumption that they had been stolen.

Bizarrely however, a short time later, the missing valuables suddenly reappeared, as if from nowhere.

"They were impossible to miss," said Sir Thomas Ingilby.

"To add insult to injury, they were sitting right next to the bag containing the replacements we had purchased with the money from Ecclesiastical."

"Three of us had searched the strong room from top to bottom and I had searched it on three separate occasions. To find them sitting there in such plain view was quite astounding."

Sir Thomas believes that the ghosts of two children, Henry and Mary Ingilby, who were known to have died of leukaemia in the castle during the 19th century, were responsible for hiding the candlesticks.

"We often have customers contact us when items that were feared lost turn up unexpectedly, but these tend to be smaller items like jewellery, which are easy to mislay," said David Bonehill, claims director for Ecclesiastical.

"This is certainly the first time a customer has reimbursed us for items they suspect was returned by a ghost."

Source: Gloucestershire Live | Comments (17)

Tags: Castle, Poltergeist

Comment icon #8 Posted by South Alabam on 4 August, 2017, 17:43
We all know there are more poltergeist in this world than thieves. So what's not to believe about this story?
Comment icon #9 Posted by Matt221 on 4 August, 2017, 17:46
How posh is his nameSir Thomas Ingilby,as for the candle sticks bloody pikeys couldn't shift them so they took them back ...... I'm a little sceptic
Comment icon #10 Posted by Boozemonkey on 4 August, 2017, 20:22
Obvious use of ockhams razor philosophy.....must have been a ghost.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Black Monk on 5 August, 2017, 10:14
It didn't say it's a ghost. It said it's a poltergeist.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Black Monk on 5 August, 2017, 10:16
It's not unusual for objects to appear out of nowhere in poltergeist hauntings. These are known as apports.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Boozemonkey on 5 August, 2017, 17:35
My apologies, I take it back, that makes a lot more sense.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Wreck7 on 5 August, 2017, 19:47
I had the same thing happen with a Zippo lighter. It disappeared off of the fire place mantle one night. I tore the whole house apart looking for it. Then, about two weeks later it reappeared in the same place. I was living by myself at the time.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Matt221 on 5 August, 2017, 20:05
Our old house stuff was forever dissappearing and turning up a couple of days later the house was haunted by a couple of children my wife caught a glimpse of a little boy and I saw an apple jump out of the fruit bowl and gently float across the kitchen all very odd
Comment icon #16 Posted by seanjo on 7 August, 2017, 10:28
b******s!.....bow locks....
Comment icon #17 Posted by ChaosRose on 7 August, 2017, 16:35
I still can't find my laptop. I'll make sure I let people know if it materializes out of thin air, but I'm not holding my breath.

'Made in China' label solves shipwreck mystery
5-20-2018
The origins of a mysterious 800-year-old shipwreck have been determined thanks to a rather helpful label.
Planet-hunting probe captures first image
5-20-2018
NASA's new spacecraft has returned a breathtaking two-second exposure which features over 200,000 stars.
Firm wants to build city of floating pyramids
5-20-2018
Italian architecture firm Lazzarini Design Studio is looking to construct entire neighborhoods that float in the ocean.
World's smallest house built using nanorobotics
5-19-2018
Scientists in France have created a house so small that not even a mite would be able to fit through the door.
Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 2 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Density ball
Posted 5-9-2018 | 0 comments
Michael takes a look at a ball with some rather unusual properties.

Slow motion jelly dive
Posted 5-3-2018 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys record slow-motion footage of a person diving on to a large block of jelly.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA