Tuesday, January 21, 2020

'Ghost' photographed in historic Scottish castle

Posted on Friday, 10 January, 2020 | Comment icon 44 comments

Is this one of the castle's former inhabitants ? Image Credit: Facebook / Drew McAdam
Drew McAdam had been visiting Edinburgh's Lauriston Castle when he captured a figure in one of the windows.
A popular tourist destination, the historic 16th-century tower house has long held a reputation for being haunted with visitors to the property reporting sightings of ghostly figures wandering its corridors and the sounds of disembodied footsteps echoing in its stairwells in the small hours of the morning.

Now one man believes that he has captured concrete evidence of the castle's otherworldly inhabitants after snapping a photograph of something unusual during a visit to the grounds on January 4th.

"There was NOBODY in the house when I got there. (Several people had rung the bell and knocked the door, wondering if they might see inside.) I took a quick series of photos."

"On bringing them up on my computer, I was going to edit them a bit, but noticed the strangest thing - a figure at one of the windows, who I SWEAR was not there when I arrived."
"I have not edited this photo in any way. It is exactly as it came on the camera."

Sure enough, the photograph in question does show a woman standing in the window - clear as day.

"Now, say what you want, but there is a figure at that window, and they are not wearing modern clothing," McAdam wrote.

You can view his full story, as well as other shots taken before and after, in the Facebook post below.

Source: Scotsman | Comments (44)

Tags: Ghost, Castle, Scotland

Comment icon #35 Posted by SecretSanta on 12 January, 2020, 5:27
It was a big 3 day event with shows throughout the afternoon and evening.    You don’t see a fib? They (staff at the castle that hosted this event) said when asked about the living history volunteers “No, they were not at this event”. So if they can lie (which they are because photos posted from the event show numerous costumed people including maids) then I’m sure others can too. Also in other photos that the guy took shows lights on in the building, if it were locked up tight and no one was inside why were there lights on?  Maybe the doors were locked because the workers were getting ready a... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by papageorge1 on 12 January, 2020, 8:49
?? When the person said 'No they were not at this event' how do you know which event they are referring to? Not seeing it. Again, I'm not getting how we know what event that quote was referring to.  The photos could have been taken by him after the place was opened up to him (McAdam). Or even a security light for all that matters. But: "It was locked and bolted - and the custodian had to switch off the alarm system (motion) when he arrived and unlocked the place," Drew McAdam wrote on Facebook.
Comment icon #37 Posted by SecretSanta on 12 January, 2020, 16:00
I’m sorry if you can’t understand, I’ll try one more time. Lauriston castle has a Facebook page. Ok, they post stuff to that Facebook page. Still with me? They posted the “ghost photo” on their page, some one asked if it was a worker in costume, this is where we get to the lie, “No, they weren’t at this event.”.  Castle hosts a weekend magic event. People are in period dress. Lies about it on Facebook. Trying to make people think the photo is actually a ghost. Anyhow, I’m done.
Comment icon #38 Posted by papageorge1 on 12 January, 2020, 17:59
I'll let you be done but it seems to me that you are talking about a different event than the McAdam visit. Not buying the author would blatantly and intentionally lie without seeing some more clear evidence of what was said and meant. There is more burden of evidence in my mind for someone calling out a liar. My best suspicion is that the 'author' is a normal person that could readily explain what was said and clarify your misunderstanding. It gets back to my original point about people being so quick to lower people's integrity in a way they wouldn't be so quick to do on a normal issue.  May... [More]
Comment icon #39 Posted by SecretSanta on 12 January, 2020, 18:51
Absolutely not a different event. The date in the article posted here on UM said the photo was taken on January 4th. He was performing at an event called MagicFest. It was There are many people in costumes, documented with photos. However, the staff at the castle in charge of Facebook posts lied and said there were no people in costumes there. So there is some deception going on. https://www.magicfest.co.uk/whats-on/#toggle-id-4 I am not misunderstanding anything, you are unwilling to accept the fact that there is something other than a ghost going on. .
Comment icon #40 Posted by moonman on 13 January, 2020, 15:00
It's funny (but not unexpected) that the resident "always a ghost" yes-man still argues that this is a ghost, considering that the photographic evidence and circumstances for it being an actor is better than any ghost photo ever taken. The original photo is posted by the guy who worked the event, a picture is later taken of him at said event with an actor present, then the place tries to say there were no actors there in a sad and obvious attempt to mystify the whole rancid thing. Really shows the "believer" thought processes involved - none. They will believe anything they are told as long as... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by ChrLzs on 14 January, 2020, 3:57
So forgive me if this was already asked... but have any of our facebookin' members (I'm not one of 'those'..) actually posted to the page in question, or invited the claimant (or interested readers) to be brave and come over here to UM to discuss his position?   It seems to me a good thing if we can do our bit to stop the proliferation of fake mysteries, so as to focus on the real ones, ie those not based on lies, or making a buck...
Comment icon #42 Posted by Not A Rockstar on 14 January, 2020, 11:47
Looks like a wildly nice place to visit. Here is a site on it with a massive listing of events there https://www.eventyas.com/GB/Edinburgh/269712989681/Lauriston-Castle Some systems in these massive places have motion sensors on the ground floor, so staff and anyone staying there can move around upstairs but would no way come downstairs and set the alarms off to open the doors early, even if the person pounding on the door was scheduled to perform there later. I noticed many of the other shades were down except for the one the maid is at, perhaps opening it for the day? Maybe it was a ghost, b... [More]
Comment icon #43 Posted by Skeptical Moose on 21 January, 2020, 3:55
Pretty sure I've seen many of "ghost" photos and vids from this location. They tend to pop up on popular countdown channels as "definitive proof". Always the same backstory..."no one was around at this time", "room was locked", "we assure you the area was clear", "we were the only ones there" are just a few of the phrases i've heard. Sadly, It's easy for people to say whatever they want. While technology has made it easier to research the topic at hand...it also makes it easier for people to fake, also, sadly, many gullible folks are willing to take it at face value.
Comment icon #44 Posted by papageorge1 on 21 January, 2020, 6:11
Should 'fake' and dishonesty be our first thought? I think most people have self-respect and are honorable actually. Way too many serious ghost stories/pictures/videos for me to believe they are all faked or just mistaken. Actually the most important question is: 'Are some real?'. I'm saying probably the majority.

'Dancing dragon' fossil is velociraptor relative
1-21-2020
Palaeontologists have compared the feathers of a 120 million-year-old dinosaur to those of modern birds.
Ohio town sees mystery flashes, vibrations
1-21-2020
Recently released footage shows the moment the skies over Bethel, Ohio suddenly lit up in multiple colors.
US and UK sign new treaty to protect Titanic
1-21-2020
Access to the wreck of the world-famous vessel, which sank in 1912, has long remained a point of contention.
Are UFOs piloted by humans from the future ?
1-20-2020
Is it possible that unidentified flying objects are piloted, not by aliens, but by our own future descendants ?
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA