We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Wednesday, December 1, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Natural World

Weird tentacled moth freaks out the Internet

October 24, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

Imagine finding this in your bathtub... Image Credit: Facebook / Gadik63
This bizarre insect sports a bright red body and four hairy tentacles that protrude from its back.
When video footage of this unnerving-looking critter was uploaded on to Facebook recently, it managed to generate a stream of comments expressing both intrigue and disgust in equal measure.

In the video, the peculiar creature, which looks like something out of a horror movie, can be seen crawling around on the floor with its tentacles undulating disconcertingly behind it.

As it turns out however, the insect is actually a harmless moth known as Creatonotos gangis.

Native to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Japan and parts of Australia, the species uses its unusual tentacles to produce a special pheromone designed to help it attract a mate.

Source: thewest.com.au | Comments (16)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
24 / 25
We are 96% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #7 Posted by sarah_ 4 years ago
I once had a moth flying spastically around my kitchen at night. So I figured I would turn the back porch light on, then turn off the kitchen light to divert it's attention toward the other light (and it's eventual freedom). Instead, when I turned the kitchen light out, it flew right at me and crashed its flappy wings right into my throat. If that happened with something that looks like this thing, well...never mind I don't want to even go there.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MJNYC 4 years ago
I truly thought it was fake.  God bless the little creature, but so glad they aren't in the US!
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer 4 years ago
Interesting little critter.  I never would have thought it was a moth if I ever saw one.
Comment icon #10 Posted by LV-426 4 years ago
I absolutely hate moths Tentacled moths? Let's just say I'd need some clean shorts to hand
Comment icon #11 Posted by Orphalesion 4 years ago
Well of course it's harmless, it's a moth! Moths are cute and harmless. Plus, looking up the species on the net, this thing is tiny! Yeah the tentacles look kinda freaky, my guess would have been that it either has a parasite or that it somehow carries it's eggs and it's babies were hatching. Turns out it's a natural part of it's body. Nature is interesting.
Comment icon #12 Posted by LV-426 4 years ago
What!? Moths are clearly evil, flappy, demons spawned from the very bowels of hell!! I've heard some crazy statemenets on UM in my time, but "cute" moths!?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Orphalesion 4 years ago
hehehe. Puh-lease? Moths are adorable: (this one likes to be petted and wants to be your friend) And some, like the Lunar Moth are gorgeous: (but yeah, everybody has stuff they don't like)
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin 4 years ago
I don't care for moths..  something about their "powderiness" that makes me think they are infested with a billion nasties.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Klownzilla 4 years ago
I wouldn't say it's harmless. It would cause me to scream like i've been castrated and run straight into traffic.
Comment icon #16 Posted by oldrover 4 years ago
Moths are cute, they really are.