Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Weird tentacled moth freaks out the Internet

Posted on Tuesday, 24 October, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

Imagine finding this in your bathtub... Image Credit: Facebook / Gadik63
This bizarre insect sports a bright red body and four hairy tentacles that protrude from its back.
When video footage of this unnerving-looking critter was uploaded on to Facebook recently, it managed to generate a stream of comments expressing both intrigue and disgust in equal measure.

In the video, the peculiar creature, which looks like something out of a horror movie, can be seen crawling around on the floor with its tentacles undulating disconcertingly behind it.

As it turns out however, the insect is actually a harmless moth known as Creatonotos gangis.

Native to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Japan and parts of Australia, the species uses its unusual tentacles to produce a special pheromone designed to help it attract a mate.

Source: thewest.com.au | Comments (16)

Tags: Moth, Insect

Comment icon #7 Posted by sarah_ on 24 October, 2017, 15:29
I once had a moth flying spastically around my kitchen at night. So I figured I would turn the back porch light on, then turn off the kitchen light to divert it's attention toward the other light (and it's eventual freedom). Instead, when I turned the kitchen light out, it flew right at me and crashed its flappy wings right into my throat. If that happened with something that looks like this thing,well...never mind Idon't want to even go there.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MJNYC on 24 October, 2017, 16:23
I truly thought it was fake. God bless the little creature, but so glad they aren't in the US!
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 24 October, 2017, 16:27
Interesting little critter. I never would have thought it was a moth if I ever saw one.
Comment icon #10 Posted by LV-426 on 24 October, 2017, 17:10
I absolutely hate moths Tentacled moths? Let's just say I'd need some clean shorts to hand
Comment icon #11 Posted by Orphalesion on 24 October, 2017, 17:13
Well of course it's harmless, it's a moth! Moths are cute and harmless. Plus, looking up the species on the net, this thing is tiny! Yeah the tentacles look kinda freaky, my guess would have been that it either has a parasite or that it somehow carries it's eggs and it's babies were hatching. Turns out it's a natural part of it's body. Nature is interesting.
Comment icon #12 Posted by LV-426 on 24 October, 2017, 17:18
What!? Moths are clearly evil, flappy, demons spawned from the very bowels of hell!! I've heard some crazy statemenets on UM in my time, but "cute" moths!?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Orphalesion on 24 October, 2017, 17:41
hehehe. Puh-lease? Moths are adorable: (this one likes to be petted and wants to be your friend) And some, like the Lunar Moth are gorgeous: (but yeah, everybody has stuff they don't like)
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 24 October, 2017, 23:42
I don't care for moths.. something about their "powderiness" that makes me think they are infested with a billion nasties.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Klownzilla on 25 October, 2017, 2:41
I wouldn't say it's harmless. It would cause me to scream like i've been castrated and run straight into traffic.
Comment icon #16 Posted by oldrover on 25 October, 2017, 12:15
Moths are cute, they really are.

World's oldest intact shipwreck discovered
10-23-2018
The wreck of a wooden vessel dating back 2,400 years has been found at the bottom of the Black Sea.
Stephen Hawking's wheelchair to go up for sale
10-22-2018
Several of the late physicist's scientific papers and possessions are to be sold at auction next week.
Rare Thor's hammer amulet found in Iceland
10-22-2018
The 900-year-old trinket was unearthed at the site of a Viking farmstead in Iceland's Thjorsardalur valley.
'Headless chicken monster' caught on film
10-22-2018
A type of deep-sea cucumber with a very unusual name has been filmed in the Southern Ocean for the first time.
The city of towering temples
Posted 10-21-2018 | 2 comments
A look at the temples of Angkor - a city steeped in Cambodian history and legend.

How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 4 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

Poltergeist or physics ?
10-22-2018 | NEPA

Houses that have stories
10-22-2018 | London

Strange things happening to us
10-22-2018 | Indiana

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas