Saturday, July 21, 2018

Weird tentacled moth freaks out the Internet

Posted on Tuesday, 24 October, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

Imagine finding this in your bathtub... Image Credit: Facebook / Gadik63
This bizarre insect sports a bright red body and four hairy tentacles that protrude from its back.
When video footage of this unnerving-looking critter was uploaded on to Facebook recently, it managed to generate a stream of comments expressing both intrigue and disgust in equal measure.

In the video, the peculiar creature, which looks like something out of a horror movie, can be seen crawling around on the floor with its tentacles undulating disconcertingly behind it.

As it turns out however, the insect is actually a harmless moth known as Creatonotos gangis.

Native to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Japan and parts of Australia, the species uses its unusual tentacles to produce a special pheromone designed to help it attract a mate.

Source: thewest.com.au | Comments (16)

Tags: Moth, Insect

Comment icon #7 Posted by sarah_ on 24 October, 2017, 15:29
I once had a moth flying spastically around my kitchen at night. So I figured I would turn the back porch light on, then turn off the kitchen light to divert it's attention toward the other light (and it's eventual freedom). Instead, when I turned the kitchen light out, it flew right at me and crashed its flappy wings right into my throat. If that happened with something that looks like this thing,well...never mind Idon't want to even go there.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MJNYC on 24 October, 2017, 16:23
I truly thought it was fake. God bless the little creature, but so glad they aren't in the US!
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 24 October, 2017, 16:27
Interesting little critter. I never would have thought it was a moth if I ever saw one.
Comment icon #10 Posted by LV-426 on 24 October, 2017, 17:10
I absolutely hate moths Tentacled moths? Let's just say I'd need some clean shorts to hand
Comment icon #11 Posted by Orphalesion on 24 October, 2017, 17:13
Well of course it's harmless, it's a moth! Moths are cute and harmless. Plus, looking up the species on the net, this thing is tiny! Yeah the tentacles look kinda freaky, my guess would have been that it either has a parasite or that it somehow carries it's eggs and it's babies were hatching. Turns out it's a natural part of it's body. Nature is interesting.
Comment icon #12 Posted by LV-426 on 24 October, 2017, 17:18
What!? Moths are clearly evil, flappy, demons spawned from the very bowels of hell!! I've heard some crazy statemenets on UM in my time, but "cute" moths!?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Orphalesion on 24 October, 2017, 17:41
hehehe. Puh-lease? Moths are adorable: (this one likes to be petted and wants to be your friend) And some, like the Lunar Moth are gorgeous: (but yeah, everybody has stuff they don't like)
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 24 October, 2017, 23:42
I don't care for moths.. something about their "powderiness" that makes me think they are infested with a billion nasties.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Klownzilla on 25 October, 2017, 2:41
I wouldn't say it's harmless. It would cause me to scream like i've been castrated and run straight into traffic.
Comment icon #16 Posted by oldrover on 25 October, 2017, 12:15
Moths are cute, they really are.

Earth, Disasters and the Environment
  Radar
  Towed iceberg could solve Cape Town drought
  Iowa Hit By Major Tornado
 Spirituality vs Skepticism
  Atheism and faith
  Jordan Peterson & Matt Dillahunty
  Japan Executes Cult Leader
 Conspiracies & Secret Societies
  Are chemtrails real?
  Occultism
  Denver International
New armored dinosaur species found in Utah
7-20-2018
With its armored plating and bony protrusions, this impressive dinosaur was well protected from predators.
Giant Egyptian sarcophagus has been opened
7-20-2018
The contents of a mysterious giant-sized coffin discovered in Alexandria have finally been revealed.
Real-life 'Iron Man' suit has gone on sale
7-19-2018
Inventor Richard Browning's impressive flight suit is now available to purchase for a whopping $440,000.
Sunken warship may contain gold worth $133bn
7-19-2018
The wreck of a Russian ship thought to contain 5,500 boxes of gold bars has been found off South Korea.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA