Saturday, January 20, 2018

Weird tentacled moth freaks out the Internet

Posted on Tuesday, 24 October, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

Imagine finding this in your bathtub... Image Credit: Facebook / Gadik63
This bizarre insect sports a bright red body and four hairy tentacles that protrude from its back.
When video footage of this unnerving-looking critter was uploaded on to Facebook recently, it managed to generate a stream of comments expressing both intrigue and disgust in equal measure.

In the video, the peculiar creature, which looks like something out of a horror movie, can be seen crawling around on the floor with its tentacles undulating disconcertingly behind it.

As it turns out however, the insect is actually a harmless moth known as Creatonotos gangis.

Native to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Japan and parts of Australia, the species uses its unusual tentacles to produce a special pheromone designed to help it attract a mate.

Source: thewest.com.au | Comments (16)

Tags: Moth, Insect

Comment icon #7 Posted by sarah_ on 24 October, 2017, 15:29
I once had a moth flying spastically around my kitchen at night. So I figured I would turn the back porch light on, then turn off the kitchen light to divert it's attention toward the other light (and it's eventual freedom). Instead, when I turned the kitchen light out, it flew right at me and crashed its flappy wings right into my throat. If that happened with something that looks like this thing,well...never mind Idon't want to even go there.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MJNYC on 24 October, 2017, 16:23
I truly thought it was fake. God bless the little creature, but so glad they aren't in the US!
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 24 October, 2017, 16:27
Interesting little critter. I never would have thought it was a moth if I ever saw one.
Comment icon #10 Posted by LV-426 on 24 October, 2017, 17:10
I absolutely hate moths Tentacled moths? Let's just say I'd need some clean shorts to hand
Comment icon #11 Posted by Orphalesion on 24 October, 2017, 17:13
Well of course it's harmless, it's a moth! Moths are cute and harmless. Plus, looking up the species on the net, this thing is tiny! Yeah the tentacles look kinda freaky, my guess would have been that it either has a parasite or that it somehow carries it's eggs and it's babies were hatching. Turns out it's a natural part of it's body. Nature is interesting.
Comment icon #12 Posted by LV-426 on 24 October, 2017, 17:18
What!? Moths are clearly evil, flappy, demons spawned from the very bowels of hell!! I've heard some crazy statemenets on UM in my time, but "cute" moths!?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Orphalesion on 24 October, 2017, 17:41
hehehe. Puh-lease? Moths are adorable: (this one likes to be petted and wants to be your friend) And some, like the Lunar Moth are gorgeous: (but yeah, everybody has stuff they don't like)
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 24 October, 2017, 23:42
I don't care for moths.. something about their "powderiness" that makes me think they are infested with a billion nasties.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Klownzilla on 25 October, 2017, 2:41
I wouldn't say it's harmless. It would cause me to scream like i've been castrated and run straight into traffic.
Comment icon #16 Posted by oldrover on 25 October, 2017, 12:15
Moths are cute, they really are.

Undersea 'Mordor' found off coast of Australia
1-20-2018
The 'Tolkienesque' landscape is made up of 26 underwater volcanoes buried beneath seabed sediment.
'Brother mummies' had different fathers
1-20-2018
Scientists have finally solved the mystery of the relationship between two 4,000-year-old mummies.
Saturn's moon Titan has its own sea level
1-19-2018
Just like the oceans here on Earth, Titan's hydrocarbon seas and lakes lie at an average elevation.
'Haunted' painting has sold in New Zealand
1-19-2018
An acrylic painting purchased from an antique store has earned itself something of a haunted reputation.
Brian Cox talks to Buzz Aldrin
Posted 1-18-2018 | 1 comment
Professor Brian Cox discusses space travel with legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Dinosaur death match
Posted 1-8-2018 | 0 comments
A look at how various dinosaurs might have fared against the predators of their day.

Best records of 2017
Posted 1-4-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of the most bizarre and amazing world records of the last year.

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States