Thursday, April 26, 2018

Weird tentacled moth freaks out the Internet

Posted on Tuesday, 24 October, 2017 | Comment icon 16 comments

Imagine finding this in your bathtub... Image Credit: Facebook / Gadik63
This bizarre insect sports a bright red body and four hairy tentacles that protrude from its back.
When video footage of this unnerving-looking critter was uploaded on to Facebook recently, it managed to generate a stream of comments expressing both intrigue and disgust in equal measure.

In the video, the peculiar creature, which looks like something out of a horror movie, can be seen crawling around on the floor with its tentacles undulating disconcertingly behind it.

As it turns out however, the insect is actually a harmless moth known as Creatonotos gangis.

Native to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Japan and parts of Australia, the species uses its unusual tentacles to produce a special pheromone designed to help it attract a mate.

Source: thewest.com.au | Comments (16)

Tags: Moth, Insect

Comment icon #7 Posted by sarah_ on 24 October, 2017, 15:29
I once had a moth flying spastically around my kitchen at night. So I figured I would turn the back porch light on, then turn off the kitchen light to divert it's attention toward the other light (and it's eventual freedom). Instead, when I turned the kitchen light out, it flew right at me and crashed its flappy wings right into my throat. If that happened with something that looks like this thing,well...never mind Idon't want to even go there.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MJNYC on 24 October, 2017, 16:23
I truly thought it was fake. God bless the little creature, but so glad they aren't in the US!
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 24 October, 2017, 16:27
Interesting little critter. I never would have thought it was a moth if I ever saw one.
Comment icon #10 Posted by LV-426 on 24 October, 2017, 17:10
I absolutely hate moths Tentacled moths? Let's just say I'd need some clean shorts to hand
Comment icon #11 Posted by Orphalesion on 24 October, 2017, 17:13
Well of course it's harmless, it's a moth! Moths are cute and harmless. Plus, looking up the species on the net, this thing is tiny! Yeah the tentacles look kinda freaky, my guess would have been that it either has a parasite or that it somehow carries it's eggs and it's babies were hatching. Turns out it's a natural part of it's body. Nature is interesting.
Comment icon #12 Posted by LV-426 on 24 October, 2017, 17:18
What!? Moths are clearly evil, flappy, demons spawned from the very bowels of hell!! I've heard some crazy statemenets on UM in my time, but "cute" moths!?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Orphalesion on 24 October, 2017, 17:41
hehehe. Puh-lease? Moths are adorable: (this one likes to be petted and wants to be your friend) And some, like the Lunar Moth are gorgeous: (but yeah, everybody has stuff they don't like)
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 24 October, 2017, 23:42
I don't care for moths.. something about their "powderiness" that makes me think they are infested with a billion nasties.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Klownzilla on 25 October, 2017, 2:41
I wouldn't say it's harmless. It would cause me to scream like i've been castrated and run straight into traffic.
Comment icon #16 Posted by oldrover on 25 October, 2017, 12:15
Moths are cute, they really are.

Fossil footprints hint at giant sloth chase
4-26-2018
New evidence has been discovered to suggest that our ancestors hunted down giant prehistoric sloths.
Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
'World's largest mosquito' discovered in China
4-25-2018
A Chinese entomologist found the insect, which has a wingspan of 11.5cm, during a field trip last year.
New 'Noah's Ark' will store DNA of complex life
4-24-2018
The ambitious BioGenome Project aims to sequence and store the genomes of more than 1.5 million species.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA