Tuesday, August 9, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

Diver narrowly avoids huge great white shark

December 11, 2017 | Comment icon 11 comments

The clip was recorded off the coast of South Africa. Image Credit: SA Spearfishing / Facebook
New footage has emerged of a diver's extremely close encounter with the jaws of a monster shark.
The video, which was posted to the SA Spearfishing Facebook page, shows the moment the diver almost ended up becoming an easy meal as the shark passed within mere inches of his head.

"And then I would of had a brown mark in my wetsuit," the caption reads.

The footage has proven popular online with over two million views to date, however there has been some debate over its authenticity and whether or not the diver was ever genuinely in any danger.

Various news outlets have taken to branding the clip as 'the scariest ever shark encounter'.

Source: New Zealand Herald | Comments (11)

Comment icon #2 Posted by ChaosRose 5 years ago
OMG... Did the diver soil himself?  I realize there are a million different ways this could have gone worse, but still.
Comment icon #3 Posted by AustinHinton 5 years ago
Considering that more sharks are killed by humans than humans are killed by sharks, i think the encounter was scarier for the shark.
Comment icon #4 Posted by freetoroam 5 years ago
Not the ideal situation to be in, but as for scariest....? I have seen scarier videos than this. One documentary i watch, the shark attacked the cage...that was scary. I am sure most encounters with a shark when it attacks is pretty scary, especially of you lose a limb....this guy got off lightly.
Comment icon #5 Posted by seeder 5 years ago
  Put yourself in the divers shoes.... or flippers to be accurate....
Comment icon #6 Posted by DebDandelion 5 years ago
That made the sharks day...he told all his friends... Shame he didn't have a camera handy...poor shark
Comment icon #7 Posted by LV-426 5 years ago
As Shaggy Rogers, of Scooby-Doo fame, might exclaim... ZOINKS!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Timonthy 5 years ago
Sharks are good like that, humans are the problem.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Jon the frog 5 years ago
Shark tend to bump what they don't know, skin is like sand paper and they smell better when grinding a little when bumping. If they declare the target edible they comeback, if not they just continue. He was just curious. Diving myself, a close encounter like that surprise you so much that you don't have time to be scared when it happen, you just realize it a couple of second later and you look a lot around you, lol. A grey seal got my flippers one time without seeing it coming, intriguing when it happen because you don't know the source, after that i was seeing shadow around me for 15minutes, ... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Matt221 5 years ago
I'll be honest I'd of crapped myself I had a Dolphin swim up beside me once I soon got out of the water,my kids thought it was hilarious and jumped in with ithe it made their day anyway
Comment icon #11 Posted by AustinHinton 5 years ago