Saturday, October 20, 2018

Diver narrowly avoids huge great white shark

Posted on Monday, 11 December, 2017 | Comment icon 12 comments

The clip was recorded off the coast of South Africa. Image Credit: SA Spearfishing / Facebook
New footage has emerged of a diver's extremely close encounter with the jaws of a monster shark.
The video, which was posted to the SA Spearfishing Facebook page, shows the moment the diver almost ended up becoming an easy meal as the shark passed within mere inches of his head.

"And then I would of had a brown mark in my wetsuit," the caption reads.

The footage has proven popular online with over two million views to date, however there has been some debate over its authenticity and whether or not the diver was ever genuinely in any danger.

Various news outlets have taken to branding the clip as 'the scariest ever shark encounter'.

Source: New Zealand Herald | Comments (12)

Tags: Shark, Diver

Comment icon #3 Posted by AustinHinton on 10 December, 2017, 20:32
Considering that more sharks are killed by humans than humans are killed by sharks, i think the encounter was scarier for the shark.
Comment icon #4 Posted by freetoroam on 10 December, 2017, 20:35
Not the ideal situation to be in, but as for scariest....? I have seen scarier videos than this. One documentary i watch, the shark attacked the cage...that was scary. I am sure most encounters with a shark when it attacks is pretty scary, especially of you lose a limb....this guy got off lightly.
Comment icon #5 Posted by seeder on 10 December, 2017, 20:36
  Put yourself in the divers shoes.... or flippers to be accurate....
Comment icon #6 Posted by DebDandelion on 11 December, 2017, 14:49
That made the sharks day...he told all his friends... Shame he didn't have a camera handy...poor shark
Comment icon #7 Posted by LV-426 on 11 December, 2017, 19:37
As Shaggy Rogers, of Scooby-Doo fame, might exclaim... ZOINKS!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Timonthy on 12 December, 2017, 2:08
Sharks are good like that, humans are the problem.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Jon the frog on 12 December, 2017, 2:47
Shark tend to bump what they don't know, skin is like sand paper and they smell better when grinding a little when bumping. If they declare the target edible they comeback, if not they just continue. He was just curious. Diving myself, a close encounter like that surprise you so much that you don't have time to be scared when it happen, you just realize it a couple of second later and you look a lot around you, lol. A grey seal got my flippers one time without seeing it coming, intriguing when it happen because you don't know the source, after that i was seeing shadow around me for 15minutes, ... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by seanjo on 12 December, 2017, 10:02
Comment icon #11 Posted by Matt221 on 12 December, 2017, 11:21
I'll be honest I'd of crapped myself I had a Dolphin swim up beside me once I soon got out of the water,my kids thought it was hilarious and jumped in with ithe it made their day anyway
Comment icon #12 Posted by AustinHinton on 12 December, 2017, 16:43
My point--- Your head

Ancient talisman inscription remains a mystery
10-20-2018
Experts in London have been attempting to decipher the writing on an ancient stone found in the 19th century.
Dr Who and Star Trek get new constellations
10-20-2018
NASA has revealed an unofficial list of new gamma ray constellations based on popular culture icons.
BepiColombo probe is on its way to Mercury
10-20-2018
The ambitious new mission will see two satellites placed in to orbit around the closest planet to the Sun.
Man hits record-breaking high-pitched note
10-19-2018
Wang Xiaolong, who is from China, achieved a world record in the 'highest vocal note by a male' category.
How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 4 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

The man who climbed Everest 21 times
Posted 9-27-2018 | 0 comments
Apa Sherpa holds the world record for the most ascents of the world's tallest mountain.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas