Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Diver narrowly avoids huge great white shark

Posted on Monday, 11 December, 2017 | Comment icon 12 comments

The clip was recorded off the coast of South Africa. Image Credit: SA Spearfishing / Facebook
New footage has emerged of a diver's extremely close encounter with the jaws of a monster shark.
The video, which was posted to the SA Spearfishing Facebook page, shows the moment the diver almost ended up becoming an easy meal as the shark passed within mere inches of his head.

"And then I would of had a brown mark in my wetsuit," the caption reads.

The footage has proven popular online with over two million views to date, however there has been some debate over its authenticity and whether or not the diver was ever genuinely in any danger.

Various news outlets have taken to branding the clip as 'the scariest ever shark encounter'.

Source: New Zealand Herald | Comments (12)

Tags: Shark, Diver

Comment icon #3 Posted by AustinHinton on 10 December, 2017, 20:32
Considering that more sharks are killed by humans than humans are killed by sharks, i think the encounter was scarier for the shark.
Comment icon #4 Posted by freetoroam on 10 December, 2017, 20:35
Not the ideal situation to be in, but as for scariest....? I have seen scarier videos than this. One documentary i watch, the shark attacked the cage...that was scary. I am sure most encounters with a shark when it attacks is pretty scary, especially of you lose a limb....this guy got off lightly.
Comment icon #5 Posted by seeder on 10 December, 2017, 20:36
Put yourself in the divers shoes.... or flippers to be accurate....
Comment icon #6 Posted by DebDandelion on 11 December, 2017, 14:49
That made the sharks day...he told all his friends... Shame he didn't have a camera handy...poor shark
Comment icon #7 Posted by LV-426 on 11 December, 2017, 19:37
As Shaggy Rogers, of Scooby-Doo fame, might exclaim... ZOINKS!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Timonthy on 12 December, 2017, 2:08
Sharks are good like that, humans are the problem.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Jon the frog on 12 December, 2017, 2:47
Shark tend to bump what they don't know, skin is like sand paper and they smell better when grinding a little when bumping. If they declare the target edible they comeback, if not they just continue. He was just curious. Diving myself, a close encounter like that surprise you so much that you don't have time to be scared when it happen, you just realize it a couple of second later and you look a lot around you, lol. A grey seal got my flippers one time without seeing it coming, intriguing when it happen because you don't know the source, after that i was seeing shadow around me for 15minutes, ... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by seanjo on 12 December, 2017, 10:02
Comment icon #11 Posted by Matt221 on 12 December, 2017, 11:21
I'll be honest I'd of crapped myself I had a Dolphin swim up beside me once I soon got out of the water,my kids thought it was hilarious and jumped in with ithe it made their day anyway
Comment icon #12 Posted by AustinHinton on 12 December, 2017, 16:43
My point--- Your head

Twelve new moons discovered around Jupiter
7-17-2018
The discovery means that the gas giant has a total of 79 moons - more than any other planet in the solar system.
5,500-year-old tomb discovered in Ireland
7-17-2018
A megalithic tomb unearthed in County Meath has been described by archaeologists as the 'find of a lifetime'.
A quadrillion tons of diamond discovered
7-17-2018
Scientists have determined that there is 1,000 times more diamond beneath our feet than previously thought.
2,000-year-old Basel papyrus mystery solved
7-16-2018
Researchers have finally succeeded in deciphering an ancient papyrus with mirror writing on both sides.
Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Magic spelling
Posted 6-27-2018 | 0 comments
Michael and Dianna check out Jim Steinmeyer's 'Nine Card Speller' magic trick.

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA