Thursday, January 24, 2019

'Hanger' is a genuine emotion, says scientist

Posted on Monday, 7 May, 2018 | Comment icon 11 comments

Have you been 'hangry' lately ? Image Credit: CC BY 4.0 OpenStax Anatomy and Physiology
The term allegedly refers to a feeling of intense anger welling up inside you in response to being hungry.
"We've long recognised that hunger leads to irritability in science," said Sophie Medlin, a lecturer in nutrition and dietetics from King's College, London. "But the wonderful world of social media has merged the two words for us and now we know it as hanger."

"When our blood sugars drop, cortisol and adrenaline rise up in our bodies - our fight or flight hormones."

These hormones trigger the release of small, protein-like molecules known as neuropeptides which affect how our brain works.

"The ones that trigger for hunger are the same ones that trigger for anger and rage and impulsive type behaviors," said Medlin. "So that's why you get that same sort of response."

Reduced levels of glucose in the brain when we are hungry, she added, can also make it more difficult for us to control our emotions or to concentrate on specific tasks.

The word 'hangry' even managed to make it in to the Oxford English Dictionary earlier this year.

Whether it's something that will make it in to our everyday vocabulary however remains to be seen.

Source: Deccan Chronicle | Comments (11)

Tags: Hanger

Comment icon #2 Posted by XenoFish on 7 May, 2018, 13:49
Try intermittent fasting or omad for a week. You might get a little hangry.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Nnicolette on 7 May, 2018, 14:20
Duh it's real! Just ask my ex husband. He was well aware of the difference of opinion he'd be met with if bearing food.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Farmer77 on 7 May, 2018, 14:40
I've started carrying snacks with me for my wife anytime we're leaving the house for more than an hour two. Hanger is real and it is dangerous!!!!
Comment icon #5 Posted by DanL on 7 May, 2018, 19:07
A lot of what people call hunger is basically a trained Pavlov's dog thing. My Mom was one of those people that did most everything with almost military precision. We ate a 7 am, 12 noon and 6 pm religiously.  If we were someplace and she didn't eat on schedule she would get the vapors within 30 minutes of not eating on time.  I am about the opposite of that (Who would imagine)  I eat once a day some time between 4pm and 7pm and have fasted off and on since I was a teen. I ate one meal every two days for a couple of years and have fasted twice for 14 days and probably half a dozen 7 day fasts.... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by Farmer77 on 7 May, 2018, 19:18
Quite possibly. Its also almost guaranteed that your eating habits are forcing your body to store fat. When you go long times between meals your body on a cellular level goes into survival mode and rather than properly utilizing all the calories and nutrients you are taking in it stores them for the lean times.  Try eating 6-8 small meals around 250-350 calories, snacks really, throughout the day rather than one big meal.  That will help to kickstart your metabolism.
Comment icon #7 Posted by paperdyer on 7 May, 2018, 20:04
Being insulin resistant, I try to watch what I eat.  I do tend to over eat so I don't get hungry later due to my body not processing sugar properly.  I watch my sugar intake, which helps with my blood sugar, but doesn't do my weight any good.  I may be a few inches shorter than DanL (Earth 2 Kryptonian I guess), but I have him beat by about 70 lb.  With all the protein I eat, it's not all fat, which scares most of the TSA agents that have to pat me down because of all of the metal in me.  One thought I was carrying a gun on my right leg.  He starts patting me down and says, "That's just your l... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Nzo on 8 May, 2018, 4:41
I have had some Hanger in my life. There has to be a name for an emotion for when you love and hate a person all at the same time? Is that called Marriage?
Comment icon #9 Posted by Podo on 9 May, 2018, 22:55
Sounds like you're in a bad marriage if you hate your husband.
Comment icon #10 Posted by XenoFish on 9 May, 2018, 23:06
The only reason I do intermittent fasting and omad is because of health reasons. I found that by skipping one or two meals a day I had less gallbladder pain and rarely had to deal with my diverticulitis. And I agree, eating is largely a habit.
Comment icon #11 Posted by DanL on 10 May, 2018, 3:06
I basically just have an extremely efficient metabolism that in the past allowed me to eat more than most, easily store it as fat, and then turn miserly when I cut back. I tried all the diets including the 6 tiny meals a day at about a thousand calories a day and was unable to lose a significant amount of weight. The only diet that actually had some results was a form of the atkins diet where I stopped eating carbs all together and went hard core carnivora. Carbs make you hungry and store fat. Meat has L carnitine which helps your cell metabolize available fat easier and inhibits the making of... [More]

Black hole radio jet 'pointed directly at Earth'
1-23-2019
The supermassive black hole in the center of the Milky Way seems to be pointing a radio jet directly towards us.
Secret Pentagon research projects revealed
1-23-2019
A newly declassified list of top secret US government projects reads like something out of an X-Files episode.
Eels 'hyperactive' due to cocaine in the Thames
1-22-2019
According to a report, excessive drug use in London may be having an adverse effect on some of the local wildlife.
Steam-powered space probe could work forever
1-22-2019
Scientists have developed a prototype for a steam-powered spacecraft that can refuel itself with water.
Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 4 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

Which is correct - math or maths ?
Posted 1-10-2019 | 2 comments
For years, there has been some confusion over the shorthand of the word 'mathematics'.

How fast does glass crack ?
Posted 12-31-2018 | 5 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment in their back yard.

The most mind-blowing space discoveries
Posted 12-28-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of mankind's greatest space-related discoveries.

The origins of Christmas
Posted 12-22-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at the origins of several modern Christmas traditions.

Johannesburg Men in Black