Monday, May 28, 2018

'Hanger' is a genuine emotion, says scientist

Posted on Monday, 7 May, 2018 | Comment icon 11 comments

Have you been 'hangry' lately ? Image Credit: CC BY 4.0 OpenStax Anatomy and Physiology
The term allegedly refers to a feeling of intense anger welling up inside you in response to being hungry.
"We've long recognised that hunger leads to irritability in science," said Sophie Medlin, a lecturer in nutrition and dietetics from King's College, London. "But the wonderful world of social media has merged the two words for us and now we know it as hanger."

"When our blood sugars drop, cortisol and adrenaline rise up in our bodies - our fight or flight hormones."

These hormones trigger the release of small, protein-like molecules known as neuropeptides which affect how our brain works.

"The ones that trigger for hunger are the same ones that trigger for anger and rage and impulsive type behaviors," said Medlin. "So that's why you get that same sort of response."

Reduced levels of glucose in the brain when we are hungry, she added, can also make it more difficult for us to control our emotions or to concentrate on specific tasks.

The word 'hangry' even managed to make it in to the Oxford English Dictionary earlier this year.

Whether it's something that will make it in to our everyday vocabulary however remains to be seen.

Source: Deccan Chronicle | Comments (11)

Tags: Hanger

Comment icon #2 Posted by XenoFish on 7 May, 2018, 13:49
Try intermittent fasting or omad for a week. You might get a little hangry.
Comment icon #3 Posted by NicoletteS on 7 May, 2018, 14:20
Duh it's real! Just ask my ex husband. Hewas well aware of the difference of opinion he'd be met with if bearing food.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Farmer77 on 7 May, 2018, 14:40
I've started carrying snacks with me for my wife anytime we're leaving the house for more than an hour two. Hanger is real and it is dangerous!!!!
Comment icon #5 Posted by DanL on 7 May, 2018, 19:07
A lot of what people call hunger is basically a trained Pavlov's dog thing. My Mom was one of those people that did most everything with almost military precision. We ate a 7 am, 12 noon and 6 pm religiously. If we were someplace and she didn't eat on schedule she would get the vapors within 30 minutes of not eating on time. I am about the opposite of that (Who would imagine) I eat once a day some time between 4pm and 7pm and have fasted off and on since I was a teen. I ate one meal every two days for a couple of years and have fasted twice for 14 days and probably half a dozen 7 day fasts.... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by Farmer77 on 7 May, 2018, 19:18
Quite possibly. Its also almost guaranteed that your eating habits are forcing your body to store fat. When you go long times between meals your body on a cellular level goes into survival mode and rather than properly utilizing all the calories and nutrients you are taking in it stores them for the lean times. Try eating 6-8 small meals around 250-350 calories, snacks really, throughout the day rather than one big meal. That will help to kickstart your metabolism.
Comment icon #7 Posted by paperdyer on 7 May, 2018, 20:04
Being insulin resistant, I try to watch what I eat. I do tend to over eat so I don't get hungry later due to my body not processing sugar properly. I watch my sugar intake, which helps with my blood sugar, but doesn't do my weight any good. I may be a few inches shorter than DanL (Earth2 Kryptonian I guess), but I have him beat by about 70 lb. With all the protein I eat, it's not all fat, which scares most of the TSA agents that have to pat me down because of all of the metal in me. One thought I was carrying a gun on my right leg. He starts patting me down and says, "That's just your l... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Nzo on 8 May, 2018, 4:41
I have had some Hanger in my life. There has to be a name for an emotion for when you love and hate a person all at the same time? Is that called Marriage?
Comment icon #9 Posted by Podo on 9 May, 2018, 22:55
Sounds like you're in a bad marriage if you hate your husband.
Comment icon #10 Posted by XenoFish on 9 May, 2018, 23:06
The only reason I do intermittent fasting and omad is because of health reasons. I found that by skipping one or two meals a day I had less gallbladder pain and rarely had to deal with my diverticulitis. And I agree, eating is largely a habit.
Comment icon #11 Posted by DanL on 10 May, 2018, 3:06
I basically just have an extremely efficient metabolism that in the past allowed me to eat more than most, easily store it as fat, and then turn miserly when I cut back. I tried all the diets including the 6 tiny meals aday at about a thousand calories a day and was unable to lose a significant amount of weight. The only diet that actually had some results was a form of the atkins diet where I stopped eating carbs all together and went hard core carnivora. Carbs make you hungry and store fat. Meat has L carnitine which helps yourcell metabolize available fat easier and inhibits the making of... [More]

6191065

Richard Branson to visit space 'within months'
5-27-2018
The Virgin Galactic founder is aiming to be a passenger aboard the first commercial launch of SpaceShipTwo.
Have Cuban 'sonic attacks' spread to China ?
5-27-2018
A US government employee working in the city of Guangzhou has reportedly experienced similar symptoms.
Pentagon releases new report on 'Tic-Tac UFO'
5-27-2018
The document goes in to more detail about a strange object that was pursued by two fighter jets back in 2004.
Tiny frog has a poisonous inflatable backside
5-26-2018
South America's Cuyaba dwarf frog has a rather unique way of dissuading predators from eating it for lunch.
The Galton Board
Posted 5-25-2018 | 0 comments
How do the balls in a Galton Board end up forming a seemingly pre-determined pattern?

Can an artificial intelligence really think ?
Posted 5-22-2018 | 9 comments
AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 3 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA