Monday, May 28, 2018

Scientists train spider to jump on demand

Posted on Wednesday, 9 May, 2018 | Comment icon 13 comments

Spiders are very good at jumping. Image Credit: YouTube / University of Manchester
Jumping spiders are capable of launching themselves six times their body length from a standing start.
For the experiment, researchers at the University of Manchester trained a spider nicknamed Kim to jump different heights and distances on a man-made platform in a laboratory.

Using CT scanning and high-speed, high-resolution cameras, the team was then able to record and analyze the spider's movements and behavior in more detail than ever before.

"The focus of the present work is on the extraordinary jumping capability of these spiders," said study author Dr Mostafa Nabawy. "A jumping spider can leap up to six times its body length from a standing start. The best a human can achieve is about 1.5 body lengths."

"The force on the legs at take-off can be up to 5 times the weight of the spider - this is amazing and if we can understand these biomechanics we can apply them to other areas of research."

By understanding the mechanics of a spider's jump, the scientists hope to eventually be able to develop a new class of super-agile micro-bot capable of leaping similar distances.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (13)

Tags: Jumping Spider

Comment icon #4 Posted by NicoletteS on 9 May, 2018, 14:59
My friends tarantula would come running to it's name. Mine loved getting petted I think they are smarter and can ne friendlier than they usually get credit for.
Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin on 9 May, 2018, 19:13
I...don't...like...spiders...Sorry.
Comment icon #6 Posted by khol on 9 May, 2018, 19:24
Really? ..cool Ive never heard of that before..I certainly believe most animals are much more intelligent then people give them credit for
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 9 May, 2018, 19:24
Yeah,I know that spiders can be enormously healthy for the environment, but I guess I just don't like creepy-crawly anything.
Comment icon #8 Posted by khol on 9 May, 2018, 19:28
But from an evolutionary standpoint they are a unique and amazing creature
Comment icon #9 Posted by Seti42 on 10 May, 2018, 6:35
Spiders both fascinate and frighten me. They are creepy-beautiful. As long as they don't surprise me, or crawl on me, I'm cool with them. I'd love it if I could train a few to stay away from me, yet also patrol my apartment for insects.
Comment icon #10 Posted by aylaadda on 12 May, 2018, 13:36
What command did they supposedly give that displayed obedience from Kim? Jumping spiders do whatever the he'll they want! it took
Comment icon #11 Posted by aylaadda on 12 May, 2018, 13:44
It is amazing that they are studying these teddy bear spider babies but they didn't train it to jump on command, science don't click bait me. Kim wasn't the first spider they tried to get to pay attention to the platforms. And that's all she did. I play with and handle these spiders every time I see them a lot of times but not every time they will jump on your arm or finger if I stick it out in front of them. #scienceisaliarsometimes
Comment icon #12 Posted by ChaosRose on 12 May, 2018, 16:25
Comment icon #13 Posted by third_eye on 13 May, 2018, 3:48
That's the best ... ~

6191065

Richard Branson to visit space 'within months'
5-27-2018
The Virgin Galactic founder is aiming to be a passenger aboard the first commercial launch of SpaceShipTwo.
Have Cuban 'sonic attacks' spread to China ?
5-27-2018
A US government employee working in the city of Guangzhou has reportedly experienced similar symptoms.
Pentagon releases new report on 'Tic-Tac UFO'
5-27-2018
The document goes in to more detail about a strange object that was pursued by two fighter jets back in 2004.
Tiny frog has a poisonous inflatable backside
5-26-2018
South America's Cuyaba dwarf frog has a rather unique way of dissuading predators from eating it for lunch.
The Galton Board
Posted 5-25-2018 | 0 comments
How do the balls in a Galton Board end up forming a seemingly pre-determined pattern?

Can an artificial intelligence really think ?
Posted 5-22-2018 | 9 comments
AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 3 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA