Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Scientists train spider to jump on demand

Posted on Wednesday, 9 May, 2018 | Comment icon 13 comments

Spiders are very good at jumping. Image Credit: YouTube / University of Manchester
Jumping spiders are capable of launching themselves six times their body length from a standing start.
For the experiment, researchers at the University of Manchester trained a spider nicknamed Kim to jump different heights and distances on a man-made platform in a laboratory.

Using CT scanning and high-speed, high-resolution cameras, the team was then able to record and analyze the spider's movements and behavior in more detail than ever before.
"The focus of the present work is on the extraordinary jumping capability of these spiders," said study author Dr Mostafa Nabawy. "A jumping spider can leap up to six times its body length from a standing start. The best a human can achieve is about 1.5 body lengths."

"The force on the legs at take-off can be up to 5 times the weight of the spider - this is amazing and if we can understand these biomechanics we can apply them to other areas of research."

By understanding the mechanics of a spider's jump, the scientists hope to eventually be able to develop a new class of super-agile micro-bot capable of leaping similar distances.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (13)

Tags: Jumping Spider

Comment icon #4 Posted by Nnicolette on 9 May, 2018, 14:59
My friends tarantula would come running to it's name. Mine loved getting petted I think they are smarter  and can ne friendlier than they usually get credit for.
Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin on 9 May, 2018, 19:13
I...don't...like...spiders...Sorry.
Comment icon #6 Posted by khol on 9 May, 2018, 19:24
Really? ..cool     Ive never heard of that before..   I certainly believe most animals are much more intelligent then people give them credit for
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 9 May, 2018, 19:24
Yeah, I know that spiders can be enormously healthy for the environment, but I guess I just don't like creepy-crawly anything.
Comment icon #8 Posted by khol on 9 May, 2018, 19:28
But from an evolutionary standpoint they are a unique and amazing creature
Comment icon #9 Posted by Seti42 on 10 May, 2018, 6:35
Spiders both fascinate and frighten me. They are creepy-beautiful. As long as they don't surprise me, or crawl on me, I'm cool with them. I'd love it if I could train a few to stay away from me, yet also patrol my apartment for insects.
Comment icon #10 Posted by aylaadda on 12 May, 2018, 13:36
What command did they supposedly give that displayed obedience from Kim? Jumping spiders do whatever the he'll they want! it took
Comment icon #11 Posted by aylaadda on 12 May, 2018, 13:44
It is amazing that they are studying these teddy bear spider babies but they didn't train it to jump on command, science don't click bait me. Kim wasn't the first spider they tried to get to pay attention to the platforms. And that's all she did. I play with and handle these spiders every time I see them a lot of times but not every time they will jump on your arm or finger if I stick it out in front of them. #scienceisaliarsometimes
Comment icon #12 Posted by ChaosRose on 12 May, 2018, 16:25

Comment icon #13 Posted by third_eye on 13 May, 2018, 3:48
That's the best ...   ~

Osiris-Rex heads for home with Bennu samples
5-11-2021
NASA's Osiris-Rex spacecraft is now on its way back to Earth with samples collected from the asteroid Bennu.
'Living skyscraper' wins architecture prize
5-11-2021
A design concept for a skyscraper made from genetically modified trees has won this year's eVolo contest.
'Living fossil' discovered after 273M years
5-10-2021
Scientists have discovered an ancient symbiotic relationship off Japan that was long thought to be extinct.
Oregon hiker films alleged 'Bigfoot' in woods
5-10-2021
Outdoor adventurer Mike Bodewitz has captured what he believes to be evidence of a real-life Bigfoot.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball