Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Scientists train spider to jump on demand

Posted on Wednesday, 9 May, 2018 | Comment icon 13 comments

Spiders are very good at jumping. Image Credit: YouTube / University of Manchester
Jumping spiders are capable of launching themselves six times their body length from a standing start.
For the experiment, researchers at the University of Manchester trained a spider nicknamed Kim to jump different heights and distances on a man-made platform in a laboratory.

Using CT scanning and high-speed, high-resolution cameras, the team was then able to record and analyze the spider's movements and behavior in more detail than ever before.

"The focus of the present work is on the extraordinary jumping capability of these spiders," said study author Dr Mostafa Nabawy. "A jumping spider can leap up to six times its body length from a standing start. The best a human can achieve is about 1.5 body lengths."

"The force on the legs at take-off can be up to 5 times the weight of the spider - this is amazing and if we can understand these biomechanics we can apply them to other areas of research."

By understanding the mechanics of a spider's jump, the scientists hope to eventually be able to develop a new class of super-agile micro-bot capable of leaping similar distances.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (13)

Tags: Jumping Spider

Comment icon #4 Posted by NicoletteS on 9 May, 2018, 14:59
My friends tarantula would come running to it's name. Mine loved getting petted I think they are smarter and can ne friendlier than they usually get credit for.
Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin on 9 May, 2018, 19:13
I...don't...like...spiders...Sorry.
Comment icon #6 Posted by khol on 9 May, 2018, 19:24
Really? ..cool Ive never heard of that before..I certainly believe most animals are much more intelligent then people give them credit for
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 9 May, 2018, 19:24
Yeah,I know that spiders can be enormously healthy for the environment, but I guess I just don't like creepy-crawly anything.
Comment icon #8 Posted by khol on 9 May, 2018, 19:28
But from an evolutionary standpoint they are a unique and amazing creature
Comment icon #9 Posted by Seti42 on 10 May, 2018, 6:35
Spiders both fascinate and frighten me. They are creepy-beautiful. As long as they don't surprise me, or crawl on me, I'm cool with them. I'd love it if I could train a few to stay away from me, yet also patrol my apartment for insects.
Comment icon #10 Posted by aylaadda on 12 May, 2018, 13:36
What command did they supposedly give that displayed obedience from Kim? Jumping spiders do whatever the he'll they want! it took
Comment icon #11 Posted by aylaadda on 12 May, 2018, 13:44
It is amazing that they are studying these teddy bear spider babies but they didn't train it to jump on command, science don't click bait me. Kim wasn't the first spider they tried to get to pay attention to the platforms. And that's all she did. I play with and handle these spiders every time I see them a lot of times but not every time they will jump on your arm or finger if I stick it out in front of them. #scienceisaliarsometimes
Comment icon #12 Posted by ChaosRose on 12 May, 2018, 16:25
Comment icon #13 Posted by third_eye on 13 May, 2018, 3:48
That's the best ... ~

'Bugpocalypse' sees major decline in insects
10-16-2018
A worrying new study has highlighted the catastrophic effects of global warming on insect populations.
Future of 1,000mph supersonic car in doubt
10-15-2018
An attempt to build the first car capable of exceeding 1,000mph has hit a major financial roadblock.
Robot gets field-tested at construction sites
10-15-2018
A recently released video shows Boston Dynamics' Spot robot climbing stairs and walking over platforms.
U-boat wreck is dubbed 'underwater Chernobyl'
10-15-2018
With its 60-ton cargo of mercury, the wreckage of U-864 is an environmental disaster waiting to happen.
How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 1 comment
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

The man who climbed Everest 21 times
Posted 9-27-2018 | 0 comments
Apa Sherpa holds the world record for the most ascents of the world's tallest mountain.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas