Thursday, June 21, 2018

Octopuses are space aliens, scientists claim

Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 | Comment icon 168 comments

Are octopuses extraterrestrial in nature ? Image Credit: PD - Pseudopanax
A bizarre new theory proposes that octopus embryos arrived on Earth on a comet millions of years ago.
They might look alien, but are octopuses and other cephalopods really from outer space ?

This peculiar idea was recently put forward by an international team of 33 scientists whose work has been published in the journal Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology.

Their research focused on the genes of octopuses and other species that arose following the various mass-extinction events that have occurred in our planet's distant past.

"[It is our view] that the new genes are likely new extraterrestrial imports to Earth - most plausibly as an already coherent group of functioning genes within (say) cryopreserved and matrix protected fertilized octopus egg," the team wrote.

"It takes little imagination to consider that the pre-Cambrian mass extinction event(s) was correlated with the impact of a giant life-bearing comet (or comets), and the subsequent seeding of Earth with new cosmic-derived cellular organisms and viral genes."

The idea that life may have traveled from other worlds to our own on asteroids or comets, a theory known as panspermia, is not a new one, however this particular study is strangely specific.

Unsurprisingly, though, it has been met with widespread criticism from the scientific community.

Suffice to say, it is extraordinarily unlikely that octopus eggs hitched a ride to Earth on a comet.

Source: Tech Times | Comments (168)

Tags: Octopus, Extraterrestrial

Comment icon #159 Posted by Rlyeh on 20 May, 2018, 17:27
Coming back to this I can see why you'd rather hijack threads than making your own. The complete lack of evidence would kill any credibility.
Comment icon #160 Posted by dwarf vs grey ufo on 20 May, 2018, 17:28
I think there is a misunderstanding, I don't mean the actual force of gravity that I experience on a daily basis as not being there. I merely notice people use the word gravity as a construct in scientific explanations, when I say gravity it is the concept and not the actual force we are experiencing. It is called 'gravitational theory' is what I'm getting at. A theory is the highest looked to as close to a fact thing in science, although they still admit there's a 0.01% chance it could one day be proven off. If this isn't serving me why would I be here.
Comment icon #161 Posted by Tatetopa on 20 May, 2018, 17:31
My dad was a geologist. When I was a kid, we would go hunting for crinoids and ammonite fossils in the Texas limestones. What are mesquite covered fields now were once a thriving warm sea bottom. Our multi armed relatives have been around in one form or another fora long time. Whatever you might have read their genes are not alien. You could claim that human genes are unique tooif you discounted the 96% of them we share with other primates, and diminishing amounts we share with mostother earth life including cephalopods..
Comment icon #162 Posted by dwarf vs grey ufo on 20 May, 2018, 17:34
I'm not trying to hijack anything, it's strange when the possibility of me talking about 'what i shouldn't' comes up, all of a sudden people start throwing around that I'm hijacking. It is an energy that is present that people detest to. Once again, what lack of evidence' is it that you are referring to, since I never stated I did lack any.
Comment icon #163 Posted by Rlyeh on 20 May, 2018, 17:35
Except none of it comes close. Scientific evidence is what supports a scientific explanation and can be verified. So the claim we have alien genes was a lie?
Comment icon #164 Posted by Rlyeh on 20 May, 2018, 17:41
People detest being lied to, especially when the liar hijacks a thread and comes up with a poor excuse why they can't support their asinine statements, but continues to make them. Don't you understand English? You have no evidence, you even tried to use ignorance to handwave your lack of evidence.
Comment icon #165 Posted by Tatetopa on 20 May, 2018, 17:54
Good news dwarf! I had dinner and a wee bit of scotch whiskey with my uncle king of the northlands dwarves. I caughthim in a good mood and he gives you his permission to say anything you please drunk or sober. He also gave me some good advice, "Don't fash yourself if folk laugh at you, jesters have a lot more fun than wise men as a rule. And the pay is better too.
Comment icon #166 Posted by dwarf vs grey ufo on 20 May, 2018, 17:56
^ love it
Comment icon #167 Posted by Sundew on 22 May, 2018, 22:21
Mmmmm, tasty aliens best served with olive oil and a little rock salt.
Comment icon #168 Posted by Emma_Acid on 30 May, 2018, 12:42
I'm fascinated to know how you found out what genes "grey aliens" have.

Could intelligent aliens move entire stars ?
6-20-2018
A new theory suggests that an intelligent alien civilization may try to collect and store stars for energy.
Ancient fossil yields oldest ever panda DNA
6-20-2018
Researchers have identified a long-lost panda relative from DNA that was retrieved from an ancient jaw bone.
Two intoxicated hedgehogs rescued in Germany
6-20-2018
The curious spiny mammals had ended up drunk after sampling a bottle of eggnog that someone had dropped.
'Dead' man interrupts his own wake in Paraguay
6-19-2018
The 20-year-old returned home after three days away to find that his family was mourning his death.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 1 comment
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA