Saturday, August 18, 2018

Octopuses are space aliens, scientists claim

Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 | Comment icon 168 comments

Are octopuses extraterrestrial in nature ? Image Credit: PD - Pseudopanax
A bizarre new theory proposes that octopus embryos arrived on Earth on a comet millions of years ago.
They might look alien, but are octopuses and other cephalopods really from outer space ?

This peculiar idea was recently put forward by an international team of 33 scientists whose work has been published in the journal Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology.

Their research focused on the genes of octopuses and other species that arose following the various mass-extinction events that have occurred in our planet's distant past.

"[It is our view] that the new genes are likely new extraterrestrial imports to Earth - most plausibly as an already coherent group of functioning genes within (say) cryopreserved and matrix protected fertilized octopus egg," the team wrote.

"It takes little imagination to consider that the pre-Cambrian mass extinction event(s) was correlated with the impact of a giant life-bearing comet (or comets), and the subsequent seeding of Earth with new cosmic-derived cellular organisms and viral genes."

The idea that life may have traveled from other worlds to our own on asteroids or comets, a theory known as panspermia, is not a new one, however this particular study is strangely specific.

Unsurprisingly, though, it has been met with widespread criticism from the scientific community.

Suffice to say, it is extraordinarily unlikely that octopus eggs hitched a ride to Earth on a comet.

Source: Tech Times | Comments (168)

Tags: Octopus, Extraterrestrial

Comment icon #159 Posted by Rlyeh on 20 May, 2018, 17:27
Coming back to this I can see why you'd rather hijack threads than making your own. The complete lack of evidence would kill any credibility.
Comment icon #160 Posted by dwarf vs grey ufo on 20 May, 2018, 17:28
I think there is a misunderstanding, I don't mean the actual force of gravity that I experience on a daily basis as not being there. I merely notice people use the word gravity as a construct in scientific explanations, when I say gravity it is the concept and not the actual force we are experiencing. It is called 'gravitational theory' is what I'm getting at. A theory is the highest looked to as close to a fact thing in science, although they still admit there's a 0.01% chance it could one day be proven off. If this isn't serving me why would I be here.
Comment icon #161 Posted by Tatetopa on 20 May, 2018, 17:31
My dad was a geologist. When I was a kid, we would go hunting for crinoids and ammonite fossils in the Texas limestones. What are mesquite covered fields now were once a thriving warm sea bottom. Our multi armed relatives have been around in one form or another fora long time. Whatever you might have read their genes are not alien. You could claim that human genes are unique tooif you discounted the 96% of them we share with other primates, and diminishing amounts we share with mostother earth life including cephalopods..
Comment icon #162 Posted by dwarf vs grey ufo on 20 May, 2018, 17:34
I'm not trying to hijack anything, it's strange when the possibility of me talking about 'what i shouldn't' comes up, all of a sudden people start throwing around that I'm hijacking. It is an energy that is present that people detest to. Once again, what lack of evidence' is it that you are referring to, since I never stated I did lack any.
Comment icon #163 Posted by Rlyeh on 20 May, 2018, 17:35
Except none of it comes close. Scientific evidence is what supports a scientific explanation and can be verified. So the claim we have alien genes was a lie?
Comment icon #164 Posted by Rlyeh on 20 May, 2018, 17:41
People detest being lied to, especially when the liar hijacks a thread and comes up with a poor excuse why they can't support their asinine statements, but continues to make them. Don't you understand English? You have no evidence, you even tried to use ignorance to handwave your lack of evidence.
Comment icon #165 Posted by Tatetopa on 20 May, 2018, 17:54
Good news dwarf! I had dinner and a wee bit of scotch whiskey with my uncle king of the northlands dwarves. I caughthim in a good mood and he gives you his permission to say anything you please drunk or sober. He also gave me some good advice, "Don't fash yourself if folk laugh at you, jesters have a lot more fun than wise men as a rule. And the pay is better too.
Comment icon #166 Posted by dwarf vs grey ufo on 20 May, 2018, 17:56
^ love it
Comment icon #167 Posted by Sundew on 22 May, 2018, 22:21
Mmmmm, tasty aliens best served with olive oil and a little rock salt.
Comment icon #168 Posted by Emma_Acid on 30 May, 2018, 12:42
I'm fascinated to know how you found out what genes "grey aliens" have.

Universe may be teeming with water-worlds
8-18-2018
Scientists have determined that a significant percentage of planets in our galaxy may be covered in water.
Scientists solve spaghetti-snapping mystery
8-17-2018
The reason why spaghetti won't snap in half without breaking in to multiple pieces has finally been found.
Beaker the Muppet has been spotted on Mars
8-17-2018
NASA has posted up an amusing example of pareidolia found in a photograph taken using its HiRISE camera.
AI robot learns to solve 'Where's Waldo?' books
8-16-2018
A robotic arm has been programmed using artificial intelligence to locate the hard-to-spot cartoon character.
Otter swimming lessons
Posted 8-10-2018 | 3 comments
The parents of these six baby giant otters attempt to teach their offspring how to swim.

Giant millipedes
Posted 8-3-2018 | 11 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of some creatures with a rather large number of legs.

Slow-motion dragonfly
Posted 7-27-2018 | 3 comments
A look at how a dragonfly moves using a camera that takes 2,000 pictures every second.

Giant hornet and a dragonfly
Posted 7-23-2018 | 5 comments
A close-up look at two giant insects chilling on one brave guy's hand.

Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas