Friday, December 14, 2018

Raccoon climbs up skyscraper in Minnesota

Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 | Comment icon 14 comments

This was one adventurous raccoon. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Darkone
The fearless mammal managed to climb up the vertical outer wall of the 25-storey UBS Tower in St Paul.
News of the raccoon's exploits gripped onlookers and Internet users alike this week as it spent the better part of 20 hours scaling the outside of the building.

According to reports, it began its epic ascent after being moved from the roof of nearby office block.

"It was heartbreaking to see yesterday," said Minnesota Public Radio journalist Tim Nelson. "We couldn't imagine how this would end well for him."

The raccoon's nail-biting stunt generated a plethora of social media posts with Internet users comparing him to Guardians of the Galaxy character Rocket Raccoon.

The courageous mammal eventually did manage to make it to the roof where it was captured in a trap and later released back in to the wild far from the temptation of any future building climbs.

"They don't plan things out. They don't say, 'If I climb this building, I will be stuck.' They just do the thing and regret it later," said York University psychologist Suzanne MacDonald.

"If I were to caption it, it'd be like: 'Oh my god, I've made a terrible decision. I deeply regret this now. I shouldn't have gone up.'"

Source: The Guardian | Comments (14)

Tags: Raccoon

Comment icon #5 Posted by UFOwatcher on 14 June, 2018, 15:24
Yeah! The persistent little feller made it. I was angry when a local news source compared the raccoon to Congress neglecting saying if he/she made it. Thanks for posting the full story. 20 hours, wow.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Taun on 14 June, 2018, 15:48
Comment icon #7 Posted by MWoo7 on 14 June, 2018, 17:55
20 hours OMG! so what's that equate to for a man --- Mt. EVEREST! in a day eh!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 14 June, 2018, 21:37
I honestly didn't know how a racoon could scale that building... until I took a close look at the exterior texture! It's VERY "rough", like a home "popcorn ceiling" but finer texture. Now I understand how it did not fall-off.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Hawkin on 15 June, 2018, 3:25
Comment icon #10 Posted by Seti42 on 16 June, 2018, 19:45
When asked why, the raccoon replied; "Because it is there."
Comment icon #11 Posted by Jon the frog on 17 June, 2018, 1:59
Pigeon eggs season, the Raccoon found a good stock of food up there.
Comment icon #12 Posted by and then on 17 June, 2018, 7:00
I felt bad for the little guy when I saw his face scrunched up against a window.  It looked like he really wanted IN... but couldn't figure out how to get there.
Comment icon #13 Posted by MWoo7 on 18 June, 2018, 2:42
Comment icon #14 Posted by HollyDolly on 18 June, 2018, 15:23
I thought T FIRST THIS WAS A JOKE, BUT WHEN I SAW THE VIDEO, I KNEW THEY WEREN'T LYING. tOOK A LOT OF COURAGE FOR THE LITTLE GUY TO DO THIS, THAT'S FOR SURE.

Closest ever photograph of the Sun revealed
12-14-2018
NASA's groundbreaking Parker Solar Probe has taken a close-up shot from inside the Sun's corona.
Mystery of 'teleporting boy' has been solved
12-14-2018
Social media users were left puzzled recently by a news clip showing a boy who seems to appear from nowhere.
Was megalodon wiped out by a supernova ?
12-14-2018
A new study has suggested that the world's largest ever shark may have been wiped out by an exploding star.
'Dancing robot' turns out to be a man in a suit
12-13-2018
A recent segment on Russian state TV mistakenly reported on a 'high-tech robot' that was anything but.
Humboldt squid takes a bite
Posted 12-10-2018 | 1 comment
A look at what happened when Steve Backshall met a rather large Humboldt squid.

Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

Progress launch timelapse
Posted 11-24-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the recent launch of the Russian Progress MS-10 cargo spacecraft.

The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York