Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Raccoon climbs up skyscraper in Minnesota

Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 | Comment icon 14 comments

This was one adventurous raccoon. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Darkone
The fearless mammal managed to climb up the vertical outer wall of the 25-storey UBS Tower in St Paul.
News of the raccoon's exploits gripped onlookers and Internet users alike this week as it spent the better part of 20 hours scaling the outside of the building.

According to reports, it began its epic ascent after being moved from the roof of nearby office block.

"It was heartbreaking to see yesterday," said Minnesota Public Radio journalist Tim Nelson. "We couldn't imagine how this would end well for him."

The raccoon's nail-biting stunt generated a plethora of social media posts with Internet users comparing him to Guardians of the Galaxy character Rocket Raccoon.

The courageous mammal eventually did manage to make it to the roof where it was captured in a trap and later released back in to the wild far from the temptation of any future building climbs.

"They don't plan things out. They don't say, 'If I climb this building, I will be stuck.' They just do the thing and regret it later," said York University psychologist Suzanne MacDonald.

"If I were to caption it, it'd be like: 'Oh my god, I've made a terrible decision. I deeply regret this now. I shouldn't have gone up.'"

Source: The Guardian | Comments (14)

Tags: Raccoon

Comment icon #5 Posted by UFOwatcher on 14 June, 2018, 15:24
Yeah! The persistent little feller made it. I was angry when a local news source compared the raccoon to Congress neglecting saying if he/she made it. Thanks for posting the full story. 20 hours, wow.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Taun on 14 June, 2018, 15:48
Comment icon #7 Posted by MWoo7 on 14 June, 2018, 17:55
20 hours OMG! so what's that equate to for a man --- Mt. EVEREST! in a day eh!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 14 June, 2018, 21:37
I honestly didn't know how a racoon could scale that building... until I took a close look at the exterior texture! It's VERY "rough", like a home "popcorn ceiling" but finer texture. Now I understand how it did not fall-off.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Hawkin on 15 June, 2018, 3:25
Comment icon #10 Posted by Seti42 on 16 June, 2018, 19:45
When asked why, the raccoon replied; "Because it is there."
Comment icon #11 Posted by Jon the frog on 17 June, 2018, 1:59
Pigeon eggs season, the Raccoon found a good stock of food up there.
Comment icon #12 Posted by and then on 17 June, 2018, 7:00
I felt bad for the little guy when I saw his face scrunched up against a window. It looked like he really wanted IN... but couldn't figure out how to get there.
Comment icon #13 Posted by MWoo7 on 18 June, 2018, 2:42
Comment icon #14 Posted by HollyDolly on 18 June, 2018, 15:23
I thought T FIRST THIS WAS A JOKE, BUT WHEN I SAW THE VIDEO, I KNEW THEY WEREN'T LYING. tOOK A LOT OF COURAGE FOR THE LITTLE GUY TO DO THIS, THAT'S FOR SURE.

Future of 1,000mph supersonic car in doubt
10-15-2018
An attempt to build the first car capable of exceeding 1,000mph has hit a major financial roadblock.
Robot gets field-tested at construction sites
10-15-2018
A recently released video shows Boston Dynamics' Spot robot climbing stairs and walking over platforms.
U-boat wreck is dubbed 'underwater Chernobyl'
10-15-2018
With its 60-ton cargo of mercury, the wreckage of U-864 is an environmental disaster waiting to happen.
Hawking feared rise of enhanced 'superhumans'
10-14-2018
The late physicist predicted that genetic engineering will ultimately render half of the world's population obsolete.
Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

The man who climbed Everest 21 times
Posted 9-27-2018 | 0 comments
Apa Sherpa holds the world record for the most ascents of the world's tallest mountain.

Building a kendama
Posted 9-26-2018 | 1 comment
Adam Savage from MythBusters joins Michael Stevens from Vsauce to build a kendama.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas