Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Raccoon climbs up skyscraper in Minnesota

Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 | Comment icon 14 comments

This was one adventurous raccoon. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Darkone
The fearless mammal managed to climb up the vertical outer wall of the 25-storey UBS Tower in St Paul.
News of the raccoon's exploits gripped onlookers and Internet users alike this week as it spent the better part of 20 hours scaling the outside of the building.

According to reports, it began its epic ascent after being moved from the roof of nearby office block.

"It was heartbreaking to see yesterday," said Minnesota Public Radio journalist Tim Nelson. "We couldn't imagine how this would end well for him."

The raccoon's nail-biting stunt generated a plethora of social media posts with Internet users comparing him to Guardians of the Galaxy character Rocket Raccoon.

The courageous mammal eventually did manage to make it to the roof where it was captured in a trap and later released back in to the wild far from the temptation of any future building climbs.

"They don't plan things out. They don't say, 'If I climb this building, I will be stuck.' They just do the thing and regret it later," said York University psychologist Suzanne MacDonald.

"If I were to caption it, it'd be like: 'Oh my god, I've made a terrible decision. I deeply regret this now. I shouldn't have gone up.'"

Source: The Guardian | Comments (14)

Tags: Raccoon

Comment icon #5 Posted by UFOwatcher on 14 June, 2018, 15:24
Yeah! The persistent little feller made it. I was angry when a local news source compared the raccoon to Congress neglecting saying if he/she made it. Thanks for posting the full story. 20 hours, wow.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Taun on 14 June, 2018, 15:48
Comment icon #7 Posted by MWoo7 on 14 June, 2018, 17:55
20 hours OMG! so what's that equate to for a man --- Mt. EVEREST! in a day eh!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 14 June, 2018, 21:37
I honestly didn't know how a racoon could scale that building... until I took a close look at the exterior texture! It's VERY "rough", like a home "popcorn ceiling" but finer texture. Now I understand how it did not fall-off.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Hawkin on 15 June, 2018, 3:25
Comment icon #10 Posted by Seti42 on 16 June, 2018, 19:45
When asked why, the raccoon replied; "Because it is there."
Comment icon #11 Posted by Jon the frog on 17 June, 2018, 1:59
Pigeon eggs season, the Raccoon found a good stock of food up there.
Comment icon #12 Posted by and then on 17 June, 2018, 7:00
I felt bad for the little guy when I saw his face scrunched up against a window.  It looked like he really wanted IN... but couldn't figure out how to get there.
Comment icon #13 Posted by MWoo7 on 18 June, 2018, 2:42
Comment icon #14 Posted by HollyDolly on 18 June, 2018, 15:23
I thought T FIRST THIS WAS A JOKE, BUT WHEN I SAW THE VIDEO, I KNEW THEY WEREN'T LYING. tOOK A LOT OF COURAGE FOR THE LITTLE GUY TO DO THIS, THAT'S FOR SURE.

Wolverine's healing may soon become a reality
3-26-2019
The extreme healing of the adamantium-clawed comic book mutant may not be as far fetched as it seems.
'Sleeping Beauty' naps for weeks at a time
3-25-2019
A woman with a rare sleeping disorder can sometimes spend weeks sleeping up to 22 hours a day.
NASA reveals details of Mars 2020 helicopter
3-25-2019
The tiny chopper is set to become the first man-made aerial vehicle to fly through the skies of another world.
Earth could be under 'galactic quarantine'
3-25-2019
An international group of scientists met in Paris last week to discuss why we have yet to encounter alien life.
Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 2 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

Winter solstice hooded figures