Thursday, July 19, 2018

Terrifying parasitic wasp found in the Amazon

Posted on Monday, 9 July, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

The wasp's stinger is almost as long as its body. Image Credit: Kari Kaunisto / University of Turku
Scientists have discovered a new species of wasp that lays its eggs on spiders using its massive stinger.
Found deep in the Amazon rainforest, the new species was discovered by researchers from the University of Turku in Finland and has been named Clistopyga crassicaudata.

"I have studied tropical parasitoid wasps for a long time, but I have never seen anything like it," said Professor Ilari E. Saaksjarvi. "The stinger looks like a fierce weapon."

According to the report, the wasp's enormous appendage is capable of stinging a victim numerous times and, in addition to injecting venom, can also be used to lay eggs.

Typically the insect will find a spider, paralyze it with venom and then lay its eggs on top of it. When they eventually hatch, the larva will eat the spider alive as well its own eggs or hatchlings.

Suffice to say, this is one insect that you really don't want to tangle with.

Source: Popular Mechanics | Comments (7)

Tags: Wasp, Stinger

Comment icon #1 Posted by and then on 6 July, 2018, 21:39
Some entrepreneur in OZ should import THAT little piece of joy, immediately. It will find it has "come home" to be among friends
Comment icon #2 Posted by Kittens Are Jerks on 6 July, 2018, 22:15
First thing I did was compare its stinger to that of other wasp species, and OMG, it's huge! Keep it away from me. UGH!
Comment icon #3 Posted by ChaosRose on 6 July, 2018, 23:09
I wonder if they discovered it by getting stung. *shudders*
Comment icon #4 Posted by NightScreams on 6 July, 2018, 23:22
"Thewaspsseek out spiders living in nests and paralyse them with a quick venom injection. Then the female wasp lays its eggs on the spider and the hatching larva eats the paralysed spider as well as the possible spidereggsor hatchlings." Nature is just seriously brutal. I thought people were bad but at least no one is going to inject me with paralysis and suffer till some eggs eat me.
Comment icon #5 Posted by openozy on 7 July, 2018, 3:51
Last summer I got stung on the back of the neck by a paper wasp,stung a bit but nothing too bad,by the time I walked back to the house was vomiting and covered head to toe in itchy lumps.Spent half a day in hospital and now have to carry an epi pen.We def have enough deadly stuff here.I now hate wasps.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 9 July, 2018, 15:19
I have some wasps that keep trying to build their nest between and storm door and entry door. Persistent , too. I kept knocking the nest down, they kept rebuilding it. I finally had to get the exterminator. They finally took the hint until next year as this is a yearly thing with them.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Orphalesion on 9 July, 2018, 16:04
Why is this terrifying? It lays its larvae into spiders, not humans... Now the human bot fly, that's scary.

Conspiracies & Secret Societies
  Are chemtrails real?
  Occultism
  Denver International
 Spirituality vs Skepticism
  Atheism and faith
  Jordan Peterson & Matt Dillahunty
  Japan Executes Cult Leader
Sunken warship may contain gold worth $133bn
7-19-2018
The wreck of a Russian ship thought to contain 5,500 boxes of gold bars has been found off South Korea.
Prehistoric baby snake found trapped in amber
7-19-2018
Scientists have discovered the well-preserved remains of a jeuvenile snake dating back 99 million years.
Telescope receives upgrade, exceeds Hubble
7-18-2018
Adaptive optics technology has now made it possible for ground telescopes to take extremely sharp images.
Your earliest memory may be fake, study claims
7-18-2018
Scientists maintain that our earliest memories could not have happened the way we remember them.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 1 comment
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA