Thursday, August 18, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Modern Mysteries > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Modern Mysteries

'Shoe island' baffles police in Massachusetts

September 8, 2018 | Comment icon 17 comments

Why are people dumping shoes at the intersection ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Oto Zapletal
Old shoes have been mysteriously appearing on a traffic island at a road intersection in the town of Granby.
Over the last few months, seemingly random items of footwear have been turning up in the middle of the intersection of Amherst Road and Amherst Street in Granby, Massachusetts.

The peculiar practice, which has lead to the spot being nicknamed 'shoe island', continues even to this day with authorities still struggling to figure out who is leaving the shoes there and why.
Last Friday, another pile of shoes, including hiking boots, worn down sneakers and a pair of gold ballet shoes, was unceremoniously dumped in the same location by persons unknown.

"We've been picking up shoes - sometimes a single shoe, sometimes a pair, no rhyme or reason," said highway superintendent David Desrosiers. "I haven't found out any significance of the disposal of shoes in the island, or if it's a trendy thing. I suspect it's a number of people."

"A lot of times, it looks like they were a decent pair of shoes. I just find it hard to believe that so many people throw out good, useful shoes. I'd rather see them give them to Salvation Army."

Source: Gazette Net | Comments (17)

Comment icon #8 Posted by mesuma 4 years ago
The Police better step up their game...........And let the puns commence!!!
Comment icon #9 Posted by taniwha 4 years ago
They clearly didn't walk themselves there. † ... Or did they...?†
Comment icon #10 Posted by Likely Guy 4 years ago
At least they're not finding feet still in them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea_human_foot_discoveries
Comment icon #11 Posted by highdesert50 4 years ago
Look at that island. Is it paved? Is it earthen? It is bleak, barren, without soul. They simply laced it with some sole as a tongue-in-cheek gesture.
Comment icon #12 Posted by TripGun 4 years ago
I would guess a calling card from a deranged individual.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Grandpa Greenman 4 years ago
I don't live in a college town but the kids do the†dangling shoes from the power lines. †I asked my neighbor kid, as I looked up at a nice pair of Converse that looked to be my size†and he said,†it was a gang thing.† I†said, it must be nice to be rich enough†to†throw a good pair of shoes over the powerline. To which he replied, "They are most likely not their shoes." † Sometimes, I feel like I live in a vast sea of stupid. † †
Comment icon #14 Posted by Codenwarra 4 years ago
Yamala's Only Claim To Fame Back in the 1950s a railway†worker (probably) threw a pair of worn out work boots on a mound of soil at a tiny locality called Yamala in Central Queensland. There were three houses† for railway maintenance workers and a railway siding. For at least 35 years, maybe more the mound accumulated old boots and shoes and sometime, maybe around 1960 some wit painted "Boot Hill"†on a rusty sheet of steel, propping it up nearby.†† It was well enough known to make a quarter page entry in a national magazine† in the 1960s. I don't know just when but some philistine took an exca... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by rashore 4 years ago
When I used to travel in NW Indiana a lot there was a somewhat remote area that was "shoe corner". Don't know why, but there were always a lot of singles and pairs of shoes on the side of the road in that particular corner.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Grimscythe 4 years ago
Baffles the police.... I mean, it's kinda obvious how it happens, isn't it? xD Seriously, though. I will never understand how people can so easily discard shoes.† Although, I guess it's better than what I've been seeing lately: single shoes in the road, along dirt roads, etc. That's kinda creepy.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Essan 4 years ago
Just been reading Bruce Dickinson's (Iron Maiden) autobiography and he recalls a similar mystery that occurred particularly at Argentinian shows, where loads of shoes would be thrown onto the stage.†† But only individual ones, never pairs.†† He was many years before he discovered that when people were "crowd surfing" other members of the audience had a habit of removing one of the surfer's shoes ...... and that's where they came from.

Total Posts: 7,314,933    Topics: 300,977    Members: 198,025