Wednesday, February 19, 2020

'Shoe island' baffles police in Massachusetts

Posted on Saturday, 8 September, 2018 | Comment icon 17 comments

Why are people dumping shoes at the intersection ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Oto Zapletal
Old shoes have been mysteriously appearing on a traffic island at a road intersection in the town of Granby.
Over the last few months, seemingly random items of footwear have been turning up in the middle of the intersection of Amherst Road and Amherst Street in Granby, Massachusetts.

The peculiar practice, which has lead to the spot being nicknamed 'shoe island', continues even to this day with authorities still struggling to figure out who is leaving the shoes there and why.
Last Friday, another pile of shoes, including hiking boots, worn down sneakers and a pair of gold ballet shoes, was unceremoniously dumped in the same location by persons unknown.

"We've been picking up shoes - sometimes a single shoe, sometimes a pair, no rhyme or reason," said highway superintendent David Desrosiers. "I haven't found out any significance of the disposal of shoes in the island, or if it's a trendy thing. I suspect it's a number of people."

"A lot of times, it looks like they were a decent pair of shoes. I just find it hard to believe that so many people throw out good, useful shoes. I'd rather see them give them to Salvation Army."

Source: Gazette Net | Comments (17)

Tags: Shoe Island

Comment icon #8 Posted by mesuma on 8 September, 2018, 21:00
The Police better step up their game...........And let the puns commence!!!
Comment icon #9 Posted by taniwha on 8 September, 2018, 21:09
They clearly didn't walk themselves there.   ... Or did they...?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Likely Guy on 8 September, 2018, 21:15
At least they're not finding feet still in them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea_human_foot_discoveries
Comment icon #11 Posted by highdesert50 on 9 September, 2018, 11:45
Look at that island. Is it paved? Is it earthen? It is bleak, barren, without soul. They simply laced it with some sole as a tongue-in-cheek gesture.
Comment icon #12 Posted by TripGun on 11 September, 2018, 16:39
I would guess a calling card from a deranged individual.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 21 September, 2018, 12:37
I don't live in a college town but the kids do the dangling shoes from the power lines.  I asked my neighbor kid, as I looked up at a nice pair of Converse that looked to be my size and he said, it was a gang thing.  I said, it must be nice to be rich enough to throw a good pair of shoes over the powerline. To which he replied, "They are most likely not their shoes."   Sometimes, I feel like I live in a vast sea of stupid.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Codenwarra on 21 September, 2018, 13:26
Yamala's Only Claim To Fame Back in the 1950s a railway worker (probably) threw a pair of worn out work boots on a mound of soil at a tiny locality called Yamala in Central Queensland. There were three houses  for railway maintenance workers and a railway siding. For at least 35 years, maybe more the mound accumulated old boots and shoes and sometime, maybe around 1960 some wit painted "Boot Hill" on a rusty sheet of steel, propping it up nearby.   It was well enough known to make a quarter page entry in a national magazine  in the 1960s. I don't know just when but some philistine took an exca... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by rashore on 23 September, 2018, 17:02
When I used to travel in NW Indiana a lot there was a somewhat remote area that was "shoe corner". Don't know why, but there were always a lot of singles and pairs of shoes on the side of the road in that particular corner.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Grimscythe on 23 September, 2018, 17:54
Baffles the police.... I mean, it's kinda obvious how it happens, isn't it? xD Seriously, though. I will never understand how people can so easily discard shoes.  Although, I guess it's better than what I've been seeing lately: single shoes in the road, along dirt roads, etc. That's kinda creepy.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Essan on 24 September, 2018, 7:34
Just been reading Bruce Dickinson's (Iron Maiden) autobiography and he recalls a similar mystery that occurred particularly at Argentinian shows, where loads of shoes would be thrown onto the stage.   But only individual ones, never pairs.   He was many years before he discovered that when people were "crowd surfing" other members of the audience had a habit of removing one of the surfer's shoes ...... and that's where they came from.

'Articulated' Neanderthal skeleton unearthed
2-18-2020
Palaeontologists have revealed the discovery of one of the most significant Neanderthal skeletons in a decade.
Concerns raised in NZ over hunt for 'giants'
2-18-2020
A group of anonymous individuals have been digging tunnels in search of evidence of 'giants' in New Zealand.
Police respond to report of 'demonic sounds'
2-18-2020
Officers were called out to investigate a very strange incident in Pueblo, Colorado on February 13th.
Scientists are developing bouncy pavements
2-17-2020
A novel new type of rubber pavement being trialled in Sweden could help to save thousands of lives.
The babysitter
2-8-2020 | ON

Mystery brain surgery and JFK
2-7-2020 | Toronto Ontario Canada

I keep bringing spirits home
2-7-2020 | Michigan