Monday, September 24, 2018

'Shoe island' baffles police in Massachusetts

Posted on Saturday, 8 September, 2018 | Comment icon 16 comments

Why are people dumping shoes at the intersection ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Oto Zapletal
Old shoes have been mysteriously appearing on a traffic island at a road intersection in the town of Granby.
Over the last few months, seemingly random items of footwear have been turning up in the middle of the intersection of Amherst Road and Amherst Street in Granby, Massachusetts.

The peculiar practice, which has lead to the spot being nicknamed 'shoe island', continues even to this day with authorities still struggling to figure out who is leaving the shoes there and why.

Last Friday, another pile of shoes, including hiking boots, worn down sneakers and a pair of gold ballet shoes, was unceremoniously dumped in the same location by persons unknown.

"We've been picking up shoes - sometimes a single shoe, sometimes a pair, no rhyme or reason," said highway superintendent David Desrosiers. "I haven't found out any significance of the disposal of shoes in the island, or if it's a trendy thing. I suspect it's a number of people."

"A lot of times, it looks like they were a decent pair of shoes. I just find it hard to believe that so many people throw out good, useful shoes. I'd rather see them give them to Salvation Army."

Source: Gazette Net | Comments (16)

Tags: Shoe Island

Comment icon #7 Posted by Carlos Allende on 8 September, 2018, 16:13
_Yes,_ it Joe Public, but it's not just Chris Finch shinnanegans: those jocks have got wise to the _metaphorical_ value of shoes and roundabouts and they're making ART, do you understand?
Comment icon #8 Posted by mesuma on 8 September, 2018, 21:00
The Police better step up their game...........And let the puns commence!!!
Comment icon #9 Posted by taniwha on 8 September, 2018, 21:09
They clearly didn't walk themselves there. ... Or did they...?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Likely Guy on 8 September, 2018, 21:15
At least they're not finding feet still in them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea_human_foot_discoveries
Comment icon #11 Posted by highdesert50 on 9 September, 2018, 11:45
Look at that island. Is it paved? Is it earthen? It is bleak, barren, without soul. They simply laced it with some sole as a tongue-in-cheek gesture.
Comment icon #12 Posted by TripGun on 11 September, 2018, 16:39
I would guess a calling card from a deranged individual.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 21 September, 2018, 12:37
I don't live in a college town but the kids do thedangling shoes from the power lines. I asked my neighbor kid, as I looked up at a nice pair of Converse that looked to be my sizeand he said,it was a gang thing. Isaid, it must be nice to be rich enoughtothrow a good pair of shoes over the powerline. To which he replied, "They are most likely not their shoes." Sometimes, I feel like I live in a vast sea of stupid.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Codenwarra on 21 September, 2018, 13:26
Yamala's Only Claim To Fame Back in the 1950s a railwayworker (probably) threw a pair of worn out work boots on a mound of soil at a tiny locality called Yamala in Central Queensland. There were three houses for railway maintenance workers and a railway siding. For at least 35 years, maybe more the mound accumulated old boots and shoes and sometime, maybe around 1960 some wit painted "Boot Hill"on a rusty sheet of steel, propping it up nearby. It was well enough known to make a quarter page entry in a national magazine in the 1960s. I don't know just when but some philistine took an exca... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by rashore on 23 September, 2018, 17:02
When I used to travel in NW Indiana a lot there was a somewhat remote area that was "shoe corner". Don't know why, but there were always a lot of singles and pairs of shoes on the side of the road in that particular corner.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Grimscythe on 23 September, 2018, 17:54
Baffles the police.... I mean, it's kinda obvious how it happens, isn't it? xD Seriously, though. I will never understand how people can so easily discard shoes. Although, I guess it's better than what I've been seeing lately: single shoes in the road, along dirt roads, etc. That's kinda creepy.

Planet-hunting probe finds two new candidates
9-23-2018
A mere two months after beginning operations, NASA's TESS spacecraft has found two new extrasolar worlds.
Two-headed snake discovered in Virginia
9-23-2018
An 'extremely rare' adult copperhead snake with two heads was recently found in a garden in Woodbridge.
Optical illusion can determine how old you are
9-23-2018
According to researchers, your age group can be determined by how you initially interpret this image.
1,000ft spider web covers edge of Greek lagoon
9-22-2018
A vast stretch of vegetation next to Aitoliko Lagoon has become hidden beneath a huge mass of spider silk.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

Swimming with lemon sharks
Posted 8-28-2018 | 1 comment
Steve Backshall gets up close to a group of deadly lemon sharks.

Cousins explained
Posted 8-24-2018 | 4 comments
Exactly what is a third cousin twice removed ? Michael unravels the mystery.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas