Thursday, August 22, 2019

8-year-old girl pulls ancient sword from lake

Posted on Friday, 5 October, 2018 | Comment icon 21 comments

The sword has been described as 'extremely well-preserved'. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Wolfmann
Saga Vanecek discovered the pre-Viking-era relic while swimming near her family's holiday home in Sweden.
The sword, which was found in Vidostern lake, is believed to date back around 1,500 years.

"I was outside in the water, throwing sticks and stones and stuff to see how far they skip, and then I found some kind of stick," Saga told Swedish news site The Local.

"I picked it up and was going to drop it back in the water, but it had a handle, and I saw that it was a little bit pointy at the end and all rusty. I held it up in the air and I said 'Daddy, I found a sword!'"

"When he saw that it [was] bent and was rusty, he came running up and took it."

The discovery has since prompted further archaeological excavations at the site.

"It's not every day that you step on a sword in the lake!" said local museum worker Mikael Nordstrom.

Source: BBC News | Comments (21)

Tags: Sword, Sweden

Comment icon #12 Posted by Tatetopa on 6 October, 2018, 18:25
  Come on.  This is about a little girl finding a sword in a Swedish lake.  Plenty of other threads for politics.   The whole thing is pretty awesome.  Might have been an offering  rather than lost in battle. A  hiker found a viking age sword in ice along a mountain trail  in Norway about 3 years ago I think.  As more and more people hike and travel there may be more to discover..   Some of the swords found  from the 700-1000 ad period associated with battles or graves  have been intentionally bent double. Best guess from historians is that if you defeated a foe, you didn't want him coming for... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Calibeliever on 7 October, 2018, 2:14
You must be a real hit at parties.
Comment icon #14 Posted by internetperson on 7 October, 2018, 5:34
20 years from now when she grows up nobody will believe her.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 7 October, 2018, 8:36
Are offering weapons usually in their scabbards?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Hawken on 13 October, 2018, 18:05
She'll have a story to tell her children and grandchildren.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Setton on 13 October, 2018, 20:31
Not from what I remember but they were sometimes 'sacrificed' (bent, broken or otherwise made unusable). Not always though.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 14 October, 2018, 9:40
“So how did you become Queen?” ”Well, I was a mere wisp of a lass and I pulled a sword from a lake...”
Comment icon #19 Posted by third_eye on 14 October, 2018, 15:22
Well at least she did not get to be Queen just because some Prince swept her off her feet and absconded her to a far aways place ~
Comment icon #20 Posted by Hawken on 14 October, 2018, 19:42
I think you're misunderstanding my comment. I was saying since she found a sword of an extraordinary find, she'll have something to tell future generations. No pun intended on the girl. Geez
Comment icon #21 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 14 October, 2018, 19:52
I understood, I thought I’d add some levity.

New Stegosaurus species found in Morocco
8-21-2019
Not only is the fossil a new species but it is also the earliest known Stegosaurus specimen ever discovered.
Scientists to reveal 'plausible' Nessie theory
8-21-2019
A biological study of Loch Ness has produced a credible explanation for the Loch Ness Monster phenomenon.
Mystery surrounds Himalayan 'skeleton lake'
8-21-2019
A shallow lake situated high up in the mountains of India is filled with skeletal remains dating back centuries.
Woman is visited by Pennywise the Clown
8-20-2019
A blood-soaked effigy of the titular character from the movie 'It' is the last thing you want to find in your yard.
A visit from beyond
8-20-2019 | Australia

A strange voice
8-5-2019 | St. Catharines Ontario.

House vibrates
7-20-2019 | Northern part of lower Michigan

Sudden writing on hand
7-20-2019 | England

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx