Tuesday, April 13, 2021

8-year-old girl pulls ancient sword from lake

Posted on Friday, 5 October, 2018 | Comment icon 21 comments

The sword has been described as 'extremely well-preserved'. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Wolfmann
Saga Vanecek discovered the pre-Viking-era relic while swimming near her family's holiday home in Sweden.
The sword, which was found in Vidostern lake, is believed to date back around 1,500 years.

"I was outside in the water, throwing sticks and stones and stuff to see how far they skip, and then I found some kind of stick," Saga told Swedish news site The Local.

"I picked it up and was going to drop it back in the water, but it had a handle, and I saw that it was a little bit pointy at the end and all rusty. I held it up in the air and I said 'Daddy, I found a sword!'"
"When he saw that it [was] bent and was rusty, he came running up and took it."

The discovery has since prompted further archaeological excavations at the site.

"It's not every day that you step on a sword in the lake!" said local museum worker Mikael Nordstrom.

Source: BBC News | Comments (21)

Tags: Sword, Sweden

Comment icon #12 Posted by Tatetopa on 6 October, 2018, 18:25
  Come on.  This is about a little girl finding a sword in a Swedish lake.  Plenty of other threads for politics.   The whole thing is pretty awesome.  Might have been an offering  rather than lost in battle. A  hiker found a viking age sword in ice along a mountain trail  in Norway about 3 years ago I think.  As more and more people hike and travel there may be more to discover..   Some of the swords found  from the 700-1000 ad period associated with battles or graves  have been intentionally bent double. Best guess from historians is that if you defeated a foe, you didn't want him coming for... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Calibeliever on 7 October, 2018, 2:14
You must be a real hit at parties.
Comment icon #14 Posted by internetperson on 7 October, 2018, 5:34
20 years from now when she grows up nobody will believe her.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 7 October, 2018, 8:36
Are offering weapons usually in their scabbards?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Hawken on 13 October, 2018, 18:05
She'll have a story to tell her children and grandchildren.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Setton on 13 October, 2018, 20:31
Not from what I remember but they were sometimes 'sacrificed' (bent, broken or otherwise made unusable). Not always though.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 14 October, 2018, 9:40
“So how did you become Queen?” ”Well, I was a mere wisp of a lass and I pulled a sword from a lake...”
Comment icon #19 Posted by third_eye on 14 October, 2018, 15:22
Well at least she did not get to be Queen just because some Prince swept her off her feet and absconded her to a far aways place ~
Comment icon #20 Posted by Hawken on 14 October, 2018, 19:42
I think you're misunderstanding my comment. I was saying since she found a sword of an extraordinary find, she'll have something to tell future generations. No pun intended on the girl. Geez
Comment icon #21 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 14 October, 2018, 19:52
I understood, I thought I’d add some levity.

'World's largest rabbit' stolen from garden
4-13-2021
An enormous record-breaking rabbit has been stolen from its enclosure in Worcestershire, England.
Genetic tests - do you really have viking DNA ?
4-13-2021
Genetic ancestry tests are very popular these days - but just how accurate and meaningful are the results ?
Eerie note discovered in charity shop jacket
4-12-2021
A woman who was about to buy a red coat from a charity shop found a rather unnerving note inside its pocket.
Humans were apex predators for 2 million years
4-12-2021
A new study has indicated that Homo sapiens dined almost exclusively on meat for over two million years.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball