Monday, November 19, 2018

Rare zebra-donkey hybrid born in Somerset

Posted on Monday, 5 November, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments
Named Zippy, the new arrival, which was born last month, is one of only two known 'zonkeys' in the UK
Owner Kristine Turner couldn't believe her eyes when she first spotted the animal on her farm.

She had purchased its mother - a zebra named Ziggy - several years ago and had long hoped that she would produce offspring. The zebra had shared a field with nine donkeys.

It wasn't until the zonkey was born that Turner even realized that the zebra had been pregnant.

"Last month I opened my bedroom curtains, which look onto the farm, and I just saw this little foal sitting up staring my way," she said. "I was in complete shock."

"I ran downstairs in my PJs, put a coat on and went over to see him. He seemed like a right little character and has had a personality from day one."

"He's half a wild animal so he'll nip and kick me a tiny bit but in a cheeky way. Then he'll dash off. He has quite a fitting name really. He's calmed down a bit now as he lets me brush him."

Source: Somerset County Gazette | Comments (7)

Tags: Zonkey, Donkey, Zebra

Comment icon #1 Posted by ouija ouija on 3 November, 2018, 22:37
What a little cutie!
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 3 November, 2018, 22:45
I want one!
Comment icon #3 Posted by third_eye on 4 November, 2018, 1:57
Pssssst .... lissen, and keep it quiet, I found something better ... ~ Spoiler Donkeybra ... ~
Comment icon #4 Posted by glorybebe on 4 November, 2018, 4:31
Adorable
Comment icon #5 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 4 November, 2018, 9:37
Awww.... isn't that the cutest little thing.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Jenn8779 on 4 November, 2018, 18:39
So adorable! Not far from where I live a woman has a lot of adopted farm animals and she has one of these zebra/donkey crosses. I'll try and remember to get a picture and post it
Comment icon #7 Posted by Katniss on 4 November, 2018, 21:35
That is awesome! I want one too! So cute.

Horror as Chicago elevator plunges 80 floors
11-19-2018
Nightmare became reality for six passengers last week when their elevator plummeted towards the ground.
Why do wombats have cube-shaped droppings?
11-19-2018
Scientists have been unravelling what might just be one of the most perplexing mysteries of the natural world.
Flat Earthers gather for Denver conference
11-19-2018
More than 650 people gathered in Colorado this month to promote the idea that our planet is as flat as a pancake.
Parrot mimicking fire alarm fools firefighters
11-18-2018
A parrot with the uncanny ability to replicate the sound of a fire alarm prompted an emergency call-out recently.
The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

Morse code
Posted 11-7-2018 | 4 comments
Michael takes a look at an obsolete messaging system that uses dots and dashes.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York