Wednesday, May 27, 2020
  Bizarre

Rare zebra-donkey hybrid born in Somerset

Posted on Monday, 5 November, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments
Named Zippy, the new arrival, which was born last month, is one of only two known 'zonkeys' in the UK
Owner Kristine Turner couldn't believe her eyes when she first spotted the animal on her farm.

She had purchased its mother - a zebra named Ziggy - several years ago and had long hoped that she would produce offspring. The zebra had shared a field with nine donkeys.

It wasn't until the zonkey was born that Turner even realized that the zebra had been pregnant.
"Last month I opened my bedroom curtains, which look onto the farm, and I just saw this little foal sitting up staring my way," she said. "I was in complete shock."

"I ran downstairs in my PJs, put a coat on and went over to see him. He seemed like a right little character and has had a personality from day one."

"He's half a wild animal so he'll nip and kick me a tiny bit but in a cheeky way. Then he'll dash off. He has quite a fitting name really. He's calmed down a bit now as he lets me brush him."

Source: Somerset County Gazette | Comments (7)

Tags: Zonkey, Donkey, Zebra

Comment icon #1 Posted by ouija ouija on 3 November, 2018, 22:37
What a little cutie!
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 3 November, 2018, 22:45
I want one!
Comment icon #3 Posted by third_eye on 4 November, 2018, 1:57
Pssssst .... lissen, and keep it quiet, I found something better ... ~   Spoiler Donkeybra ... ~
Comment icon #4 Posted by glorybebe on 4 November, 2018, 4:31
Adorable
Comment icon #5 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 4 November, 2018, 9:37
Awww.... isn't that the cutest little thing.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Jenn8779 on 4 November, 2018, 18:39
So adorable! Not far from where I live a woman has a lot of adopted farm animals and she has one of these zebra/donkey crosses. I'll try and remember to get a picture and post it
Comment icon #7 Posted by Katniss on 4 November, 2018, 21:35
That is awesome! I want one too! So cute.

Virgin Orbit debut rocket launch ends in failure
5-26-2020
Sir Richard Branson's new satellite launching company didn't have much luck with its debut flight yesterday.
Mystery big cats reported across Scotland
5-26-2020
Recent accounts have indicated that the Loch Ness Monster is not the only thing lurking in the Scottish wilds.
Super-rare white grizzly bear spotted in Canada
5-26-2020
A very unusual bear has been captured on film in Banff National Park in Canada's Rocky Mountains.
Blind 'see' letters delivered to their brains
5-25-2020
Scientists have found a way to communicate letters and shapes by 'tracing' them directly into the brain.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter