Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Rare zebra-donkey hybrid born in Somerset

Posted on Monday, 5 November, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments
Named Zippy, the new arrival, which was born last month, is one of only two known 'zonkeys' in the UK
Owner Kristine Turner couldn't believe her eyes when she first spotted the animal on her farm.

She had purchased its mother - a zebra named Ziggy - several years ago and had long hoped that she would produce offspring. The zebra had shared a field with nine donkeys.

It wasn't until the zonkey was born that Turner even realized that the zebra had been pregnant.

"Last month I opened my bedroom curtains, which look onto the farm, and I just saw this little foal sitting up staring my way," she said. "I was in complete shock."

"I ran downstairs in my PJs, put a coat on and went over to see him. He seemed like a right little character and has had a personality from day one."

"He's half a wild animal so he'll nip and kick me a tiny bit but in a cheeky way. Then he'll dash off. He has quite a fitting name really. He's calmed down a bit now as he lets me brush him."

Source: Somerset County Gazette | Comments (7)

Tags: Zonkey, Donkey, Zebra

Comment icon #1 Posted by ouija ouija on 3 November, 2018, 22:37
What a little cutie!
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 3 November, 2018, 22:45
I want one!
Comment icon #3 Posted by third_eye on 4 November, 2018, 1:57
Pssssst .... lissen, and keep it quiet, I found something better ... ~   Spoiler Donkeybra ... ~
Comment icon #4 Posted by glorybebe on 4 November, 2018, 4:31
Adorable
Comment icon #5 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 4 November, 2018, 9:37
Awww.... isn't that the cutest little thing.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Jenn8779 on 4 November, 2018, 18:39
So adorable! Not far from where I live a woman has a lot of adopted farm animals and she has one of these zebra/donkey crosses. I'll try and remember to get a picture and post it
Comment icon #7 Posted by Katniss on 4 November, 2018, 21:35
That is awesome! I want one too! So cute.

Anomalies found in 'sonic attack' victims' brains
7-23-2019
Scientists have identified 'significant differences' in the brains of the diplomats 'attacked' in Cuba.
Cat filter strikes again during press conference
7-23-2019
A Canadian police press conference about a mysterious double homicide was marred by 'technical difficulties'.
Paranormal author Rosemary Ellen Guiley dies
7-23-2019
The 69-year-old, who wrote dozens of books on a wide variety of paranormal topics, has sadly passed away.
RNLI warns against 'Storm Loch Ness' event
7-22-2019
Lifeboat officials in Scotland have warned social media users not to flock to the world famous loch en masse.
House vibrates
7-20-2019 | Northern part of lower Michigan

Sudden writing on hand
7-20-2019 | England

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx