Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Rare zebra-donkey hybrid born in Somerset

Posted on Monday, 5 November, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments
Named Zippy, the new arrival, which was born last month, is one of only two known 'zonkeys' in the UK
Owner Kristine Turner couldn't believe her eyes when she first spotted the animal on her farm.

She had purchased its mother - a zebra named Ziggy - several years ago and had long hoped that she would produce offspring. The zebra had shared a field with nine donkeys.

It wasn't until the zonkey was born that Turner even realized that the zebra had been pregnant.

"Last month I opened my bedroom curtains, which look onto the farm, and I just saw this little foal sitting up staring my way," she said. "I was in complete shock."

"I ran downstairs in my PJs, put a coat on and went over to see him. He seemed like a right little character and has had a personality from day one."

"He's half a wild animal so he'll nip and kick me a tiny bit but in a cheeky way. Then he'll dash off. He has quite a fitting name really. He's calmed down a bit now as he lets me brush him."

Source: Somerset County Gazette | Comments (7)

Tags: Zonkey, Donkey, Zebra

Comment icon #1 Posted by ouija ouija on 3 November, 2018, 22:37
What a little cutie!
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 3 November, 2018, 22:45
I want one!
Comment icon #3 Posted by third_eye on 4 November, 2018, 1:57
Pssssst .... lissen, and keep it quiet, I found something better ... ~   Spoiler Donkeybra ... ~
Comment icon #4 Posted by glorybebe on 4 November, 2018, 4:31
Adorable
Comment icon #5 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 4 November, 2018, 9:37
Awww.... isn't that the cutest little thing.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Jenn8779 on 4 November, 2018, 18:39
So adorable! Not far from where I live a woman has a lot of adopted farm animals and she has one of these zebra/donkey crosses. I'll try and remember to get a picture and post it
Comment icon #7 Posted by Katniss on 4 November, 2018, 21:35
That is awesome! I want one too! So cute.

Eels 'hyperactive' due to cocaine in the Thames
1-22-2019
According to a report, excessive drug use in London may be having an adverse effect on some of the local wildlife.
Steam-powered space probe could work forever
1-22-2019
Scientists have developed a prototype for a steam-powered spacecraft that can refuel itself with water.
Frog travels 8,000 miles in woman's suitcase
1-22-2019
One holidaymaker got more than she bargained for recently after returning from a trip to South Africa.
Ancient shark species named after video game
1-21-2019
A newly discovered species of prehistoric shark has been assigned a name based on the shape of its teeth.
Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 4 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

Which is correct - math or maths ?
Posted 1-10-2019 | 2 comments
For years, there has been some confusion over the shorthand of the word 'mathematics'.

How fast does glass crack ?
Posted 12-31-2018 | 5 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment in their back yard.

Johannesburg Men in Black