Thursday, April 9, 2020

Who or what do you see before you die ?

Posted on Sunday, 3 March, 2019 | Comment icon 13 comments

Hospice patients reported incredibly vivid dreams. Image Credit: Louis Janmot
A new study has been looking in to the remarkable dream experiences of patients who are at death's door.
The research, which focused on terminally ill patients at Hospice Buffalo in New York State, sought to document the dreams and visions experienced by those who were nearing the end of their lives.

Intriguingly, it seemed that for those living their last days on Earth, dreams held a much greater significance and served to provide comfort while also reconnecting them with lost loved ones.

One woman, whose name was Jeanne, described encountering her long-lost family members.

"I remember seeing every piece of their face," she said. "I mean, I know that was my mom and dad and uncle and my brother-in-law. I felt good. I felt good to see some people."

Another patient - Maggie - had vivid dreams about reconnecting with her sister.
"So I said, Beth, you've got to stay with me," she said. "I'm alone, stay with me. She says, 'I can't. Not now.' And then she says, 'Soon we'll be back. We'll be back together.'"

Study leader Dr. Christopher Kerr admits that he started out highly skeptical about such experiences, but soon started to appreciate both their significance and therapeutic value.

"Instead of having this fear of death," he said. "It almost transcends the fear of death to something bigger. What's clear is people are universally saying this feels more real and different than any dream I've ever had before."

The precise nature of these experiences however is not well understood.

"When they wake up crying because they've been so deeply moved by something," said Dr Kerr.

"That just should be respected. Period."

Source: CBS Local | Comments (13)

Tags: Dreams, Death

Comment icon #4 Posted by Coil on 13 March, 2019, 20:45
I think that a person falls into a kind of oblivion at first when life goes out and then he leaves the body that served him life and is no longer able to work for him. Anyone who knows what life after death firmly does not make of this tragedy. This is a logical liberation from the terminated mechanism.Since man is immortal just like God, he always lives in the universe or outside it.
Comment icon #5 Posted by lightly on 14 March, 2019, 1:32
My uncle saw the front of a bus just before he died.      .... (sorry,.  couldn't resist)    :o)
Comment icon #6 Posted by qxcontinuum on 14 March, 2019, 4:10
These are not hallucinations. There are healthy ppl coming from accidents describing similar experiences. In their case we cant say the brain has consciously produced such images.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Podo on 14 March, 2019, 22:54
If your body has undergone so much trauma that it almost dies, I don't know that you can really declare someone "healthy and in sound mind." The brain does all kinds of weird stuff during trauma.
Comment icon #8 Posted by AtlantisRises on 15 March, 2019, 5:23
I had terrible car accident about seven years ago. During the ambulance ride to hospital I reportedly died twice. After arriving at the hospital I was induced into a coma for twelve days. All I recall from my near death experience is pain and blood. I do have several strange and difficult to reconcile memories from during my coma, however I am mostly convinced they were just created by my brain to fill the unusually long gap. I certainly don't think my anecdote is worth anymore than anyone else. But it was a fairly major event in my life. I have always been a fairly apathetic kind of atheist s... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by qxcontinuum on 16 March, 2019, 3:03
That is very interesting and somewhat aligned to my observations and projections about what's after death. I believe that good ppl. living a positive life or thinking positively can project an imaginary fabrication like world, a mirage outside space and time in which they can live forever while the negative and bad ppl. can project a nightmare in which they could end up being tormented an eternity.  Heaven and hell in other words can be in our mind. There are others like you in between for which the Bible simple describes them to be forever death with no heavens or hell.
Comment icon #10 Posted by docyabut2 on 6 April, 2019, 1:01
yep still interesting in life after death, don't believe in oracles of the past or believers of the future, physics only to make money one doe`snt know if it all is just.illusions.:(       http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/d/g/dga11/HIST10_06_Oracles.htm
Comment icon #11 Posted by Raptor Witness on 9 April, 2019, 6:13
The Borg Queen....
Comment icon #12 Posted by Podo on 9 April, 2019, 23:07
Assimilation is fun
Comment icon #13 Posted by jmccr8 on 14 April, 2019, 14:18
I think I will wait until I actually die before making any speculations as to what I will see. jmccr8

Universe may be expanding at different rates
4-9-2020
A new study has cast doubt on the idea that the expansion of the universe is the same in every direction.
'Floating bin' illusion baffles the Internet
4-9-2020
A very strange optical illusion showing what looks like a floating wheelie bin has recently gone viral online.
Mystery 15th-Century skeleton found in Ireland
4-9-2020
A skeleton found buried on the banks of a river in Dublin has turned out to be more than 600 years old.
Revisiting Hubble's iconic 'Pillars of Creation'
4-8-2020
One of the most celebrated astronomy photographs of all time has been revisited some 25 years later.
In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter
2-8-2020 | ON

Mystery brain surgery and JFK
2-7-2020 | Toronto Ontario Canada

I keep bringing spirits home
2-7-2020 | Michigan