Saturday, October 19, 2019

Ranger takes selfie with 'human-like' gorillas

Posted on Monday, 22 April, 2019 | Comment icon 16 comments
A striking photograph taken by an anti-poaching ranger has been described as 'just another day in the office.'
The picture, which was taken in the Democratic Republic of the Congo's Virunga National Park, shows anti-poaching ranger Mathieu Shamavu in front of two young gorillas who have both adopted a remarkably human-like way of standing upright on two legs.

The photograph has gained international attention in the media and has helped to highlight the work that Shamavu and his fellow rangers do every day to protect the last few gorillas from poachers.

It's dangerous work - as evidenced by the fact that five rangers were killed last year alone.

The two gorillas in the picture, who have lived in a special gorilla orphanage for most of their lives, have learned to imitate their human protectors.

"I was very surprised to see it... so it's very funny," said park deputy director Innocent Mburanumwe.

"It's very curious to see how a gorilla can imitate a human and stand up."

Source: ABC.net.au | Comments (16)

Tags: Gorilla, Poaching

Comment icon #7 Posted by OverSword on 22 April, 2019, 17:22
It's so cool how like us they are.
Comment icon #8 Posted by sanchez710 on 22 April, 2019, 19:45
It looks suspiciously like people dressed up as gorillas for photos. Not entirely convinced by this. The faces look like masks.
Comment icon #9 Posted by EnderOTD on 22 April, 2019, 20:28
I believe it!
Comment icon #10 Posted by Hawken on 22 April, 2019, 20:40
I don't know why some people think it's fake. Gorillas are known to stand and walk upright.
Comment icon #11 Posted by RabidMongoose on 24 April, 2019, 15:58
Those apes have a jelly midriff. I knew they normal (said while slapping my own).
Comment icon #12 Posted by Black Red Devil on 25 April, 2019, 10:45
The one on the left needs to get on a treadmill.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Ozymandias on 25 April, 2019, 13:00
These are men in suits. Gorillas cannot stand upright looking like humans the way these do. Also their legs are too long for their bodies.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Still Waters on 26 April, 2019, 10:50

Comment icon #15 Posted by Ozymandias on 28 April, 2019, 0:16
Poor things really. That's sad. Maybe I'm wrong to think these are just men in suits (to me their posture and physical dimensions look unnatural for gorrillas) but I absolutely accept the possibility that I might be wrong and would be the first to support these orphans if I was convinced that is what they are.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Captain Risky on 28 April, 2019, 2:20
yeah but the other one has a potential modelling career lined up.

Mystery skeleton found on Mount Williamson
10-19-2019
Two climbers ascending California's second-highest peak recently uncovered a decades-old mystery.
US Navy's 'Doomsday' plane taken out by a bird
10-19-2019
An aircraft designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse recently suffered a rather unfortunate mishap.
Creepy 'haunted' doll filmed moving on its own
10-19-2019
A World War 2-era ventriloquist doll has been filmed moving its eyes and mouth in the middle of the night.
Horror fans to attempt record vampire gathering
10-18-2019
Hundreds of Dracula fans in Ireland are set to attempt the world's largest gathering of vampires next week.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ