Saturday, October 19, 2019

Robot news anchor raises eyebrows in Russia

Posted on Monday, 22 April, 2019 | Comment icon 22 comments

Would you be happy with a robot presenting the news ? Image Credit: YouTube / Rossiya 24
A human-like robot known as 'Alex' has recently been deployed as an anchor on a Russian news channel.
Developed by Perm-based startup Promobot, the unnerving contraption has been designed to resemble company co-founder Alexei Yuzhakov.

Costing $15,600 to build, the robot is still a work-in-progress however its creators are hoping to implement fully functioning limbs as well as other new features before the end of this year.

Alex has made several appearances on the news channel Rossiya 24 however some disgruntled viewers have already complained about its strange appearance.

Some have even argued that the robot is being used to peddle political propaganda for the channel.

You can view Alex in action for yourself in the video below.

Source: BBC News | Comments (22)

Tags: Alex, Robot, Russia

Comment icon #13 Posted by Jon the frog on 24 April, 2019, 17:23
Don't know why some people want human looking skinned bot...  they are all incredibly creepy.
Comment icon #14 Posted by oldrover on 24 April, 2019, 17:27
Yep. I was reading through the posts to see if he'd had a mention.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Tatetopa on 24 April, 2019, 18:33
Max Headroom show 1986.  Reporter with brain injury suddenly appears on the newsweb as a virtual newscaster.  Way ahead of its time in concept anyway.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Tatetopa on 24 April, 2019, 20:18
My apologies.  Should have known. Sorry all of you youngsters out there.  Max Headroom was 30 years ago. At the dawn of the internet and cable tv, we thought it was pretty camp.  You can google a clip or two. But, he is a lot better looking than the Russian guy and he doesn't look drunk. Makes me feel old.  I was in a vinyl record and CD store when those were popular.  I heard two teenage girls talking, "Did you know Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings?"
Comment icon #17 Posted by oldrover on 24 April, 2019, 21:36
No my apologies. What I meant was the first thing I thought of when I first read this was Max Headroom. And I was checking to see if anyone else hadmentioned him. Channel 4 Friday night.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Tatetopa on 24 April, 2019, 21:56
Still around? Didn't know that.  Thanks.   I think if they field a robot body, it will only be short term.  The real savings is full CGI, no studio, no cameras, no makeup, no expensive sets or large spaces.  After all, in Japan, some guys are already falling in love with their AI girlfriends online and trying to marry them knowing full well who or what they are. In this world of big data, everybody could watch a newsavatar created  especially for them to satisfy their own preferences.as far as looks and content.
Comment icon #19 Posted by oldrover on 24 April, 2019, 22:02
Sorry, no I meant back then in the 80s. I'm sure it was a Friday? I hated Max Headroom, I thought he was a YUPPY.  Scary stuff there from the chaps with the AI girlfriends.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Tatetopa on 24 April, 2019, 22:19
He was indeed a yuppie.  But nobody has had hair that good until Eric Trump.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Impedancer on 24 April, 2019, 23:27
Why not putin or kim jong-un or this  https://images.app.goo.gl/DUHERNzc7e6oqETDA
Comment icon #22 Posted by tmcom on 25 April, 2019, 3:49
A computer does a much better job. I believe that a PC game based graphics engine is pulling this off, which makes it all the more remarkable, (price wise) and sure the engine is copying a human, but a computer should be able to do this on its own, eventually. We see a sexy, young woman presenting a story, and in another part of the world, some ugly, overweight woman with a Fatboy/Slim green t-shirt on and a sig, hanging out of her mouth, says, "Yeah, that will ....ing do, l need to make a takeout order for Maccers, since l am running out of groceries!

Mystery skeleton found on Mount Williamson
10-19-2019
Two climbers ascending California's second-highest peak recently uncovered a decades-old mystery.
US Navy's 'Doomsday' plane taken out by a bird
10-19-2019
An aircraft designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse recently suffered a rather unfortunate mishap.
Creepy 'haunted' doll filmed moving on its own
10-19-2019
A World War 2-era ventriloquist doll has been filmed moving its eyes and mouth in the middle of the night.
Horror fans to attempt record vampire gathering
10-18-2019
Hundreds of Dracula fans in Ireland are set to attempt the world's largest gathering of vampires next week.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ