Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Footage of last known thylacine is colorized

Posted on Friday, 9 August, 2019 | Comment icon 31 comments

When Benjamin died, his species died with him. Image Credit: Archives Office of Tasmania
A fascinating video has emerged showing colorized footage of the last known Tasmanian tiger.
The animal, which was known as Benjamin, was trapped in the Florentine Valley in 1933 before being sent to Hobart Zoo where it lived in captivity for three years.

It died on September 7th, 1936 as the last confirmed member of its species.

Famous footage of Benjamin, which shows the animal yawning and walking around its enclosure, was captured by naturalist David Fleay.

The colorized version was reportedly created using a software program called DeOldify.

The color footage is perhaps the closest we may ever get to seeing a live thylacine in the flesh.

Source: YouTube | Comments (31)

Tags: Thylacine

Comment icon #22 Posted by Unfortunately on 10 August, 2019, 5:22
The thylacine had distinct black stripes on its back and flanks that led to the whole 'tiger' outlook I believe. I'm not sure about its genealogy in regards to dogs.† Edit: Here's a better picture of the stripes.
Comment icon #23 Posted by openozy on 10 August, 2019, 5:32
Closer to a carnivorous roo.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Piney on 10 August, 2019, 14:24
None whatsoever.† https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine
Comment icon #25 Posted by Earl.Of.Trumps on 10 August, 2019, 19:34
Yes, and I think too, that if said tract of land has been explored once or twice that people mistakenly think that it proves of the non existence of some creature that was not seen. How silly. How often do explorers not see the snow leopard in their tour? Woodsmen in central US and in the Carolinas hardly ever see the panther but enough have over the years to conclude that it does exist, and the panther is not the most elusive of animals
Comment icon #26 Posted by oldrover on 11 August, 2019, 8:07
I agree, with the current research available on the thylacine's life appearance they went with that colour.† Edit: actually looks like they didn't, this seems to be the result of that colourising programme which picks the colour for you.†
Comment icon #27 Posted by Golden Duck on 20 August, 2019, 7:50
Tiger Shark
Comment icon #28 Posted by Captain Risky on 20 August, 2019, 8:13
Yes i get it but they don't call it a tiger marsupial or Tiger dog. Having stripes is sorta appropriating. poor tiger.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Golden Duck on 20 August, 2019, 10:39
A real Tasmanian Tiger
Comment icon #30 Posted by Captain Risky on 21 August, 2019, 0:06
I have a property in Hobart and I intend to retire there at some point. Wondering how long iíll have to wait before my neck starts to sprout another me.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Cryptid_Control on 22 August, 2019, 16:19
Truly beautiful creatures, and the original reason I joined this forum.

Mystery surrounds 'T-34' written on polar bear
12-9-2019
An investigation is currently underway in an effort to track down who is responsible for painting the animal.
ESA to launch space debris collector in 2025
12-9-2019
If successful, the mission will be the first ever to remove a piece of space junk from Earth's orbit.
Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia