Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Paralyzed man walks again using exoskeleton

Posted on Friday, 4 October, 2019 | Comment icon 7 comments

The technology has a variety of applications. Image Credit: YouTube / The Lancet
This brain-controlled exoskeleton has made it possible for a tetraplegic to take his first steps unaided.
The 28-year-old Frenchman, who has been identified only as Thibault, lost the use of his limbs after falling off a balcony and severing his spinal cord four years ago.

Now he has successfully managed to walk again thanks to a remarkable exoskeleton which, like something out of a science-fiction movie, he can directly control using his own brain signals.

He trained himself to control the suit using a specially designed video game avatar system.

"When you are in my position, when you can't do anything with your body... I wanted to do something with my brain," he said. "I can't go home tomorrow in my exoskeleton but I've got to a point where I can walk. I walk when I want and I stop when I want."
The brain-computer interface uses two recording devices implanted on either side of his head.

His brain signals are decoded automatically and interpreted as physical movements.

"The brain is still capable of generating commands that would normally move the arms and legs, there's just nothing to carry them out," said Prof Alim Louis Benabid.

While there is still a long way to go before the technology will be ready for mass adoption, this trial run shows just what's possible and offers a tantalizing glimpse of things to come.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (7)

Tags: Exoskeleton

Comment icon #1 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 18:51
Very cool.  It looks like it will be a decade before we see people walking down the street this way.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 4 October, 2019, 18:58
Joe Swanson from Family Guy haha
Comment icon #3 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 19:17
I still don't get the appeal of that show.  It is idiotic, trite and unoriginal, and those are the nice things I can say about it.
Comment icon #4 Posted by spartan max2 on 4 October, 2019, 19:44
That's amazing. A true advancement.
Comment icon #5 Posted by ThereWeAreThen on 4 October, 2019, 23:23
Science
Comment icon #6 Posted by Tatetopa on 5 October, 2019, 2:00
I had a good friend 30 years ago that was a quadriplegic. He dove into a lake and hit a stump when he was about 25. I used to visit him once a week for years. He got to spend some time in a flotation tank every week which was the highlight of his week. He always dreamed of something like this. We knew it would come some day. Sadly he wasn't around to see it.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 30 October, 2019, 14:02
*yawn* I'd much rather listen to a radio version of that show than you.

Mystery surrounds 'T-34' written on polar bear
12-9-2019
An investigation is currently underway in an effort to track down who is responsible for painting the animal.
ESA to launch space debris collector in 2025
12-9-2019
If successful, the mission will be the first ever to remove a piece of space junk from Earth's orbit.
Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia