Monday, January 27, 2020

Paralyzed man walks again using exoskeleton

Posted on Friday, 4 October, 2019 | Comment icon 7 comments

The technology has a variety of applications. Image Credit: YouTube / The Lancet
This brain-controlled exoskeleton has made it possible for a tetraplegic to take his first steps unaided.
The 28-year-old Frenchman, who has been identified only as Thibault, lost the use of his limbs after falling off a balcony and severing his spinal cord four years ago.

Now he has successfully managed to walk again thanks to a remarkable exoskeleton which, like something out of a science-fiction movie, he can directly control using his own brain signals.

He trained himself to control the suit using a specially designed video game avatar system.

"When you are in my position, when you can't do anything with your body... I wanted to do something with my brain," he said. "I can't go home tomorrow in my exoskeleton but I've got to a point where I can walk. I walk when I want and I stop when I want."
The brain-computer interface uses two recording devices implanted on either side of his head.

His brain signals are decoded automatically and interpreted as physical movements.

"The brain is still capable of generating commands that would normally move the arms and legs, there's just nothing to carry them out," said Prof Alim Louis Benabid.

While there is still a long way to go before the technology will be ready for mass adoption, this trial run shows just what's possible and offers a tantalizing glimpse of things to come.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (7)

Tags: Exoskeleton

Comment icon #1 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 18:51
Very cool.  It looks like it will be a decade before we see people walking down the street this way.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 4 October, 2019, 18:58
Joe Swanson from Family Guy haha
Comment icon #3 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 19:17
I still don't get the appeal of that show.  It is idiotic, trite and unoriginal, and those are the nice things I can say about it.
Comment icon #4 Posted by spartan max2 on 4 October, 2019, 19:44
That's amazing. A true advancement.
Comment icon #5 Posted by ThereWeAreThen on 4 October, 2019, 23:23
Science
Comment icon #6 Posted by Tatetopa on 5 October, 2019, 2:00
I had a good friend 30 years ago that was a quadriplegic. He dove into a lake and hit a stump when he was about 25. I used to visit him once a week for years. He got to spend some time in a flotation tank every week which was the highlight of his week. He always dreamed of something like this. We knew it would come some day. Sadly he wasn't around to see it.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 30 October, 2019, 14:02
*yawn* I'd much rather listen to a radio version of that show than you.

Millions of desert locusts descend on Africa
1-26-2020
A plague of locusts of biblical proportions has been devouring vast swathes of crops across east Africa.
Fish farm plans rejected after 'fairies' warning
1-26-2020
A Scottish council recently received a letter warning that the lives of workers could be endangered by fairies.
Another 'Bigfoot' shows up on WSDOT webcam
1-26-2020
Authorities in Washington have recorded footage of a figure trudging through the snow near Snoqualmie Pass.
Space Force logo looks like it's from Star Trek
1-25-2020
President Donald Trump has revealed the official logo for the US Space Force - and it looks somewhat familiar...
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA