Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Paralyzed man walks again using exoskeleton

Posted on Friday, 4 October, 2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

The technology has a variety of applications. Image Credit: YouTube / The Lancet
This brain-controlled exoskeleton has made it possible for a tetraplegic to take his first steps unaided.
The 28-year-old Frenchman, who has been identified only as Thibault, lost the use of his limbs after falling off a balcony and severing his spinal cord four years ago.

Now he has successfully managed to walk again thanks to a remarkable exoskeleton which, like something out of a science-fiction movie, he can directly control using his own brain signals.

He trained himself to control the suit using a specially designed video game avatar system.

"When you are in my position, when you can't do anything with your body... I wanted to do something with my brain," he said. "I can't go home tomorrow in my exoskeleton but I've got to a point where I can walk. I walk when I want and I stop when I want."
The brain-computer interface uses two recording devices implanted on either side of his head.

His brain signals are decoded automatically and interpreted as physical movements.

"The brain is still capable of generating commands that would normally move the arms and legs, there's just nothing to carry them out," said Prof Alim Louis Benabid.

While there is still a long way to go before the technology will be ready for mass adoption, this trial run shows just what's possible and offers a tantalizing glimpse of things to come.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (6)

Tags: Exoskeleton

Comment icon #1 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 18:51
Very cool.  It looks like it will be a decade before we see people walking down the street this way.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 4 October, 2019, 18:58
Joe Swanson from Family Guy haha
Comment icon #3 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 19:17
I still don't get the appeal of that show.  It is idiotic, trite and unoriginal, and those are the nice things I can say about it.
Comment icon #4 Posted by spartan max2 on 4 October, 2019, 19:44
That's amazing. A true advancement.
Comment icon #5 Posted by ThereWeAreThen on 4 October, 2019, 23:23
Science
Comment icon #6 Posted by Tatetopa on 5 October, 2019, 2:00
I had a good friend 30 years ago that was a quadriplegic. He dove into a lake and hit a stump when he was about 25. I used to visit him once a week for years. He got to spend some time in a flotation tank every week which was the highlight of his week. He always dreamed of something like this. We knew it would come some day. Sadly he wasn't around to see it.

World's loudest bird has a truly deafening call
10-22-2019
This incredible species of bird from the Amazon can belt out a call so loud that it can damage your eardrums.
Mother is spooked by 'ghost baby' in crib
10-22-2019
Maritza Elizabeth was so freaked out that she couldn't sleep after spotting the ghostly infant on her baby cam.
US Army signs deal to exploit 'UFO technology'
10-22-2019
The military has teamed up with Tom DeLonge's 'To The Stars' group to study alleged UFO 'metamaterials'.
Mystery surrounds London's 'Havering Hoard'
10-21-2019
An 'extraordinary' cache of Bronze Age weapons found in London has left experts scratching their heads.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ