Friday, August 14, 2020

Paralyzed man walks again using exoskeleton

Posted on Friday, 4 October, 2019 | Comment icon 7 comments

The technology has a variety of applications. Image Credit: YouTube / The Lancet
This brain-controlled exoskeleton has made it possible for a tetraplegic to take his first steps unaided.
The 28-year-old Frenchman, who has been identified only as Thibault, lost the use of his limbs after falling off a balcony and severing his spinal cord four years ago.

Now he has successfully managed to walk again thanks to a remarkable exoskeleton which, like something out of a science-fiction movie, he can directly control using his own brain signals.

He trained himself to control the suit using a specially designed video game avatar system.

"When you are in my position, when you can't do anything with your body... I wanted to do something with my brain," he said. "I can't go home tomorrow in my exoskeleton but I've got to a point where I can walk. I walk when I want and I stop when I want."
The brain-computer interface uses two recording devices implanted on either side of his head.

His brain signals are decoded automatically and interpreted as physical movements.

"The brain is still capable of generating commands that would normally move the arms and legs, there's just nothing to carry them out," said Prof Alim Louis Benabid.

While there is still a long way to go before the technology will be ready for mass adoption, this trial run shows just what's possible and offers a tantalizing glimpse of things to come.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (7)

Tags: Exoskeleton

Comment icon #1 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 18:51
Very cool.  It looks like it will be a decade before we see people walking down the street this way.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 4 October, 2019, 18:58
Joe Swanson from Family Guy haha
Comment icon #3 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 19:17
I still don't get the appeal of that show.  It is idiotic, trite and unoriginal, and those are the nice things I can say about it.
Comment icon #4 Posted by spartan max2 on 4 October, 2019, 19:44
That's amazing. A true advancement.
Comment icon #5 Posted by ThereWeAreThen on 4 October, 2019, 23:23
Science
Comment icon #6 Posted by Tatetopa on 5 October, 2019, 2:00
I had a good friend 30 years ago that was a quadriplegic. He dove into a lake and hit a stump when he was about 25. I used to visit him once a week for years. He got to spend some time in a flotation tank every week which was the highlight of his week. He always dreamed of something like this. We knew it would come some day. Sadly he wasn't around to see it.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 30 October, 2019, 14:02
*yawn* I'd much rather listen to a radio version of that show than you.

Did humans really wipe out the woolly rhino ?
8-14-2020
The woolly rhino may not have been wiped out by human hunting practices as was previously believed.
Pentagon set to launch new UFO task force
8-14-2020
According to reports, a new task force dedicated to investigating UFOs will be unveiled in the next few days.
Ancient galaxy looks surprisingly familiar
8-13-2020
A 12 billion-year-old galaxy in the distant universe looks uncannily like a miniature version of the Milky Way.
Japan's Bigfoot mystery endures 50 years on
8-13-2020
Japan's answer to the legendary cryptid was first sighted during a mountain drive one night 50 years ago.
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball