Tuesday, October 22, 2019

'Legally haunted' house is on sale for $1.9M

Posted on Saturday, 5 October, 2019 | Comment icon 29 comments

This house has seen its fair share of paranormal occurrences. Image Credit: Google Street View
A mansion in Nyack, New York is considered legally haunted due to the infamous 'Ghostbusters ruling.'
There is no shortage of haunted houses up for sale these days, with homeowners offering up stories of unexplained phenomena as a selling point to potential buyers with a penchant for the paranormal.

In this case however, the haunted nature of the building has actually been established in court.

Built in 1890, the house was pretty unremarkable until the 1960s when a woman named Helen Ackley moved in with her family. Before long, tales of ghosts from the Revolutionary War began to emerge.

Ackley claimed that her grandchildren would receive mysterious 'gifts' such as rings that would appear and disappear on their own accord. She also maintained that her daughter, Cynthia, would be regularly awoken by an entity shaking her bed every morning.
The family lived there until 1989, however when the house was eventually sold, its new owners did not take kindly to the fact that they had not been informed of its haunted status beforehand.

When the matter was taken to court, it was ruled that because the Ackley family had widely publicized their belief that the building was haunted, it should be legally considered such.

Known as the 'Ghostbusters ruling', the case has since been widely taught in US law school classes.

As for the house itself - it is now available to buy for the princely sum of $1.9 million.

Source: Mental Floss | Comments (29)

Tags: Haunted

Comment icon #20 Posted by Desertrat56 on 7 October, 2019, 22:09
Yeah, if there is such a thing that is exactly the kind of ghost my friend's house will have.  A jacked up meth head that got herself killed by another drugged up person defending himself.
Comment icon #21 Posted by freetoroam on 7 October, 2019, 22:14
Were the judges drunk? The new owners were not saying it was haunted. And how did this ever get to court in the first place? All the new owners had to do was ignore the stories and say "it is not haunted" if anyone asked.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Desertrat56 on 7 October, 2019, 22:19
I suspect the new owners got tired of ghost hunters and lookie loos showing up demanding to see the ghost or get a tour.  If that was the case they could have just put up a sign  "No ghosts here, the previous owners lied"
Comment icon #23 Posted by the13bats on 7 October, 2019, 23:20
The lady we bought from didnt lie, she fully believed her delusions, so not a " lie" she convinced neighbors of it ( some believers, some labled her a loon ) her ex who contacted me believed parts of it, and she did damage to the house because of her mental issues, we have seen zero, showed this thread to tina she wants our house legally declared haunted.
Comment icon #24 Posted by ThereWeAreThen on 7 October, 2019, 23:41
Legally haunted??? For **** sake mun
Comment icon #25 Posted by freetoroam on 8 October, 2019, 0:16
This is going to be the new money maker.  I think I will get the judge a bottle of sherry and he can get my boat legally haunted, that should quadruple the price.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Gwynbleidd on 8 October, 2019, 0:26
Oh gosh how awful - I don't blame her at all for not wanting the house anymore. I don't think I could deal with it emotionally speaking.    Thankfully her insurance covered the cleanup - gosh it sounds terrible.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Gwynbleidd on 8 October, 2019, 0:29
Yes, that was the one Tia.  He killed his parents and sisters I believe.  Something like that.  I just remember those people who bought it afterwards and I couldn't believe the real estate didn't disclose the info.  *shudders at the thought*
Comment icon #28 Posted by the13bats on 8 October, 2019, 2:24
  I understand your shudder but there are people, i think the term is "bottom feeders" they will beat the hell out of a seller of such property then write ( poorly ) a self published book about all the ( made up ) haunting, paranormal activity, of course zero proof then when they go to filp the joint ask many times what they paid this time using "haunted" to their benifit, our old place where I spent about 46 years it was said the husband died of a heart attack in the den, we never saw or heard anything, and i guess natural death isnt like murder, at this place i have fallen down basically all... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by HollyDolly on 9 October, 2019, 16:26
I remember years ago reading a story on this house in Readers Digest and elsewhere. Nyack is just up from  where my sister lives.Alot of times people go and buy a house, and never learn there was even a murder  in it.  Would I want a haunted house ,no. Now if it was some house that was 300 years old in Germany that our family lived in every since it was built, and I inherited the place maybe.

World's loudest bird has a truly deafening call
10-22-2019
This incredible species of bird from the Amazon can belt out a call so loud that it can damage your eardrums.
Mother is spooked by 'ghost baby' in crib
10-22-2019
Maritza Elizabeth was so freaked out that she couldn't sleep after spotting the ghostly infant on her baby cam.
US Army signs deal to exploit 'UFO technology'
10-22-2019
The military has teamed up with Tom DeLonge's 'To The Stars' group to study alleged UFO 'metamaterials'.
Mystery surrounds London's 'Havering Hoard'
10-21-2019
An 'extraordinary' cache of Bronze Age weapons found in London has left experts scratching their heads.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ