Saturday, December 7, 2019

'Legally haunted' house is on sale for $1.9M

Posted on Saturday, 5 October, 2019 | Comment icon 29 comments

This house has seen its fair share of paranormal occurrences. Image Credit: Google Street View
A mansion in Nyack, New York is considered legally haunted due to the infamous 'Ghostbusters ruling.'
There is no shortage of haunted houses up for sale these days, with homeowners offering up stories of unexplained phenomena as a selling point to potential buyers with a penchant for the paranormal.

In this case however, the haunted nature of the building has actually been established in court.

Built in 1890, the house was pretty unremarkable until the 1960s when a woman named Helen Ackley moved in with her family. Before long, tales of ghosts from the Revolutionary War began to emerge.

Ackley claimed that her grandchildren would receive mysterious 'gifts' such as rings that would appear and disappear on their own accord. She also maintained that her daughter, Cynthia, would be regularly awoken by an entity shaking her bed every morning.
The family lived there until 1989, however when the house was eventually sold, its new owners did not take kindly to the fact that they had not been informed of its haunted status beforehand.

When the matter was taken to court, it was ruled that because the Ackley family had widely publicized their belief that the building was haunted, it should be legally considered such.

Known as the 'Ghostbusters ruling', the case has since been widely taught in US law school classes.

As for the house itself - it is now available to buy for the princely sum of $1.9 million.

Source: Mental Floss | Comments (29)

Tags: Haunted

Comment icon #20 Posted by Desertrat56 on 7 October, 2019, 22:09
Yeah, if there is such a thing that is exactly the kind of ghost my friend's house will have.  A jacked up meth head that got herself killed by another drugged up person defending himself.
Comment icon #21 Posted by freetoroam on 7 October, 2019, 22:14
Were the judges drunk? The new owners were not saying it was haunted. And how did this ever get to court in the first place? All the new owners had to do was ignore the stories and say "it is not haunted" if anyone asked.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Desertrat56 on 7 October, 2019, 22:19
I suspect the new owners got tired of ghost hunters and lookie loos showing up demanding to see the ghost or get a tour.  If that was the case they could have just put up a sign  "No ghosts here, the previous owners lied"
Comment icon #23 Posted by the13bats on 7 October, 2019, 23:20
The lady we bought from didnt lie, she fully believed her delusions, so not a " lie" she convinced neighbors of it ( some believers, some labled her a loon ) her ex who contacted me believed parts of it, and she did damage to the house because of her mental issues, we have seen zero, showed this thread to tina she wants our house legally declared haunted.
Comment icon #24 Posted by ThereWeAreThen on 7 October, 2019, 23:41
Legally haunted??? For **** sake mun
Comment icon #25 Posted by freetoroam on 8 October, 2019, 0:16
This is going to be the new money maker.  I think I will get the judge a bottle of sherry and he can get my boat legally haunted, that should quadruple the price.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Gwynbleidd on 8 October, 2019, 0:26
Oh gosh how awful - I don't blame her at all for not wanting the house anymore. I don't think I could deal with it emotionally speaking.    Thankfully her insurance covered the cleanup - gosh it sounds terrible.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Gwynbleidd on 8 October, 2019, 0:29
Yes, that was the one Tia.  He killed his parents and sisters I believe.  Something like that.  I just remember those people who bought it afterwards and I couldn't believe the real estate didn't disclose the info.  *shudders at the thought*
Comment icon #28 Posted by the13bats on 8 October, 2019, 2:24
  I understand your shudder but there are people, i think the term is "bottom feeders" they will beat the hell out of a seller of such property then write ( poorly ) a self published book about all the ( made up ) haunting, paranormal activity, of course zero proof then when they go to filp the joint ask many times what they paid this time using "haunted" to their benifit, our old place where I spent about 46 years it was said the husband died of a heart attack in the den, we never saw or heard anything, and i guess natural death isnt like murder, at this place i have fallen down basically all... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by HollyDolly on 9 October, 2019, 16:26
I remember years ago reading a story on this house in Readers Digest and elsewhere. Nyack is just up from  where my sister lives.Alot of times people go and buy a house, and never learn there was even a murder  in it.  Would I want a haunted house ,no. Now if it was some house that was 300 years old in Germany that our family lived in every since it was built, and I inherited the place maybe.

'Bigfoot chases car' video emerges in Russia
12-6-2019
Footage showing a car being pursued by an unknown creature has been doing the rounds on social media.
Banana duct-taped to a wall sells for $120,000
12-6-2019
Modern art connoisseurs have taken to a rather tongue-in-cheek exhibit at a Miami Beach art festival this week.
Quantum physicist describes alien encounter
12-6-2019
Quantum computing expert Deep Prasad has come forward with a rather extraordinary story.
Planet found orbiting white dwarf in world first
12-5-2019
Astronomers have discovered a huge planet orbiting the burnt-out husk of a star that was once like the Sun.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia