Monday, December 9, 2019

Video of a fish with a human-like face goes viral

Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 | Comment icon 12 comments

This is one strange looking fish. Image Credit: Weibo
Unnerving footage of a carp with distinctly human-like facial features has recently emerged on social media.
The peculiar fish, which was reportedly filmed in Kumming, China, has proven a hit online thanks to its rather unusual appearance.

Nobody seems to be quite sure exactly where the footage originated, with some news outlets sourcing it to the Chinese social network Weibo and others linking it to the Chinese video app TikTok.

All that can really be discerned from the video is that the fish lives in some sort of pond or lake.

Ultimately, of course, the carp doesn't actually have a human face - it's simply an optical illusion produced by the chance arrangement of markings on its body.
The distortion of the water when viewed from above is also likely contributing to the effect.

Some people have likened the fish to the creature from the Sega Dreamcast game Seaman.

You can check out the video for yourself below.

Source: BGR.com | Comments (12)

Tags: Fish, China

Comment icon #3 Posted by XenoFish on 9 November, 2019, 14:47
That's a xenofish.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Stiff on 9 November, 2019, 15:48
It even has that frowning, grumpy look
Comment icon #5 Posted by XenoFish on 9 November, 2019, 16:10
"That's my boy."
Comment icon #6 Posted by Matt221 on 9 November, 2019, 19:08
That's odd cause I knowas a man with a face like a fish.
Comment icon #7 Posted by DieChecker on 12 November, 2019, 2:30
Looks like mostly it is the black spot coloring causing the appearance. Super cool looking fish though.
Comment icon #8 Posted by highdesert50 on 12 November, 2019, 13:45
The wonderfully human trait of pareidolia, the tendency for incorrect perception of a stimulus as an object, pattern or meaning known to the observer, such as seeing faces in objects or abstract patterns or hidden messages in music.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Twin on 14 November, 2019, 1:34
Is there a name for hearing voices in white noise? I ask because I do that. I seldom hear a word that I can understand, but it sounds like voices to me.
Comment icon #10 Posted by XenoFish on 14 November, 2019, 2:05
Comment icon #11 Posted by Twin on 15 November, 2019, 1:02
Thank you XenoFish.  One advantage of this is that listening to my fan puts me to sleep quickly.
Comment icon #12 Posted by third_eye on 15 November, 2019, 3:39
The Japanese version is a crab..  [00.02:35] ~

Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
Plants 'scream' when stressed out, study finds
12-8-2019
Scientists have discovered that plants emit ultrasonic 'squeals' when stressed due to drought or damage.
Pentagon in U-turn over secretive UFO program
12-8-2019
The US government has completely changed its story over the purpose of its now-cancelled UFO program.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia