Friday, November 15, 2019

British politician steps down over 'alien' claims

Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 | Comment icon 8 comments

It seems that believing in aliens can harm your chances of a career in politics. Image Credit: CC0 Pixabay
Jill Hughes dropped out of the election race after it came to light that she had previously claimed to be an alien.
The Brexit Party's parliamentary candidate for the Yorkshire constituency of Batley and Spen, Hughes had been a relative unknown until an investigation revealed some interesting facts about her.

An aspiring author, she had previously written the novel 'Spirit of Prophecy' about a psychic detective. While this wouldn't really have raised any eyebrows on its own, her Amazon biography reads:

"To this day J.J.Hughes believes in elves/fairies/mermaids/unicorns and all things Elemental and Other Worldly... She has had numerous prophetic premonitions - usually about death, which so far despite a few close shaves she has escaped. She came to believe in reincarnation in her mid-twenties when her old horse Red made a re-appearance, this time as a palomino called Hooray Henry.

She also wrote about the idea that aliens are working with world governments:

"The E.T's, some of them less than apple pie wholesome or positive pumpkins, are already here working with our world governments, but that's all hush-hush for now."
Perhaps most notably of all however, she also reportedly wrote:

Ultimately it shouldn't really make any difference whether a person believes in any of these things or not, but unfortunately when it comes to politics, a belief in such ideas can be problematic.

It seemed that her party was sufficiently concerned about these revelations to ask her to stand down.

When it boils down to it though, this is arguably more of a reflection on the current state of politics and the society in which we live than it is on Hughes herself.

Source: Yorkshire Post | Comments (8)

Tags: Jill Hughes

Comment icon #1 Posted by Dumbledore the Awesome on 10 November, 2019, 12:27
While Jacob (or William) Rees-Mogg is an alien, but is still allowed to stand. How is that fair?
Comment icon #2 Posted by RabidMongoose on 10 November, 2019, 12:28
It doesnt inspire confidence in me about our leaders when their are/were candidates who are obviously insane.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Tom1200 on 10 November, 2019, 12:33
I believe I have the tremendous honour of being your 45 000th 'thumbs up'per.  Do I win a car?
Comment icon #4 Posted by LightAngel on 10 November, 2019, 13:51
  Agreed - that's why they are not my leaders! However, the really insane ones are often the ones who seem normal.    Edit: I like this quote by Aldous Huxley.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Desertrat56 on 10 November, 2019, 18:01
"I have just come to truly realize that my purpose is to raise consciousness here on Earth - I originated from Sirius."   This is a typical 90's new age trope, what star system is your consciousness from and why are you in a human body on planet earth?  A way to be "special".
Comment icon #6 Posted by Hawken on 11 November, 2019, 0:58
It just occurred to me. If you claim to be abducted by aliens or hear voices in your head. Society says your insane. But if you're a dude claiming to be a female or vice versa. That's normal.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 11 November, 2019, 15:10
In politics, stupidity is not a handicap ? Napoleon Bonaparte
Comment icon #8 Posted by Essan on 11 November, 2019, 15:36
I don;t see the problem?   She appears quite as sane and well balanced as most current members of Westminster.

'Unicorn puppy' has a tail on its forehead
11-15-2019
Meet Narwhal, an adorable rescue dog from Missouri who happens to have a very unusual appendage.
Fossil tooth sheds light on world's largest ape
11-14-2019
Standing up to three meters tall, Gigantopithecus was the largest ape to ever walk the face of the Earth.
Weird cloud formation sparks UFO speculation
11-14-2019
This large circular 'hole' in the clouds over North Carolina left social media users scratching their heads this week.
Shots fired during attempted 'Bigfoot' break-in
11-14-2019
A man in Bainbridge Township, Ohio told police that he had been trying to dissuade an intruding Sasquatch.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia