Monday, May 17, 2021

'Thylacine family' photographed in Tasmania?

Posted on Tuesday, 23 February, 2021 | Comment icon 73 comments

Are we about to see evidence of live thylacines ? Image Credit: Nannup Police
A Tasmanian tiger enthusiast has announced that he will be releasing three tantalizing new images on March 1st.
One of the best known recent examples of a species wiped out by human hunting practices, the thylacine was a distinctive carnivorous marsupial native to Australia, Tasmania and New Guinea.

Sporadic reports of alleged thylacines in the wild however have continued even to the present day.

Now Neil Waters, President of the Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia (TAGOA), has announced that he has captured three photographs of a thylacine family in north-east Tasmania.

The images, which have since been passed on to wildlife expert Nick Mooney for independent verification, were reportedly taken using a camera trap.

"I know what they are and so do a few independent expert witnesses, expert canine judges, feline judges and a vet," said Waters.
"I can tell you there's three images. We believe... that the first image is the mum, we know the second image is the baby because it's so tiny and the third image is the dad."

Waters intends to release the images to the public on March 1st.

But could he have really captured compelling photographic evidence of three live thylacines many decades after the last confirmed sighting of one in the wild ?

As things stand, we'll just have to wait and see what he reveals in around a week's time.

Update: The images have been released and can be viewed - here.

Source: Lad Bible | Comments (73)

Tags: Thylacine

Comment icon #64 Posted by Cryptid_Control on 5 March, 2021, 5:05
After so long like likeable attitude becomes incredibly irritating. I want to believe him too! All the crying wolf though, even if he does someday get a picture,†good luck convincing anyone he didnít edit it.†
Comment icon #65 Posted by josellama2000 on 5 March, 2021, 14:56
Usa: Kitty-kitty-kitty England: Puss-puss-puss Romania: Pis-pis-pis Lithuania: Kiss-kiss-kiss Australia: Puss-puss-puss Poland: Kitschi-kitschi-kitschi Japan: Neko-chan oide China: Miao-miao-miao Agentina: Mish-mish-mish Netherlands: Poes-poes-poes Germany: Miez-miez-miez Neil Waters: thylacine-thylacine-thylacine
Comment icon #66 Posted by Aus Yowie on 13 March, 2021, 18:09
It will be great to hear what the museum thinks of the photos.†
Comment icon #67 Posted by Catspit on 22 March, 2021, 5:38
That video is a prime example of the sort of person who wants so badly for something to be real that they're willing to bend any ambiguity to fit their narrative. You see it everywhere - politics, religion, racism - but at least in this case it's not really hurting anyone. I'm very inclined to agree with the idea that the second photo shows a juvenile pademelon. If not, though, the only other native wildlife it could be would be a thylacine, and I would love to see definitive proof that they still exist and have a sustainable breeding population. I can't think of any likely scenario where a do... [More]
Comment icon #68 Posted by onlookerofmayhem on 22 March, 2021, 5:48
Comment icon #69 Posted by Catspit on 22 March, 2021, 6:02
Thank you!
Comment icon #70 Posted by onlookerofmayhem on 22 March, 2021, 6:07
Not sure how you were searching. I searched "lynx uses cameraman to hunt" and it was the first result.
Comment icon #71 Posted by Catspit on 22 March, 2021, 6:12
Honestly, I was trying too hard to remember keywords and forgot the obvious, simple option. Given the sort of forum this is, I think there's a kind of beautiful irony there...
Comment icon #72 Posted by oldrover on 24 March, 2021, 1:24
In my experience thylacines (dead ones of course) feel like Siamese cats. Very soft and really lovely. I also have to say that I don't find the majority of your post convincing sorry.†
Comment icon #73 Posted by Catspit on 24 March, 2021, 19:18
No apology necessary, since I wasn't trying to convince anyone. I was just adding some points that no one else had addressed yet. How people choose to apply that information, if at all, is up to them. I've never been to New Zealand or Australia, so I don't think I have any real authority to say what does or doesn't live there. That's very interesting about thylacine coats though. From the way their bodies are shaped, I kind of subconsciously attach a "rough dog coat" texture to them, but they're not canines or felines so I'm not surprised that I'd be wrong there.

Why do we hate the sound of our own voices ?
5-17-2021
Your voice can sound very different (to you) when recorded and played back, but exactly why is that ?
Giant squid filmed hunting in very rare video
5-17-2021
For the first time, scientists have filmed a giant squid feeding in its natural habitat in the depths of the ocean.
Liquid water discovered inside a meteorite
5-16-2021
For the first time, scientists have found liquid water inside a meteorite from the earliest days of the solar system.
Flight crews saw UFOs 'every day for two years'
5-16-2021
A former US Navy pilot has explained how commonplace sightings of UFOs off the east coast actually are.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball