Friday, October 22, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Bizarre

iPhone still works after year spent in lake

April 7, 2021 | Comment icon 9 comments

This is one resilient iPhone. Image Credit: Facebook / Bao Fei 1 Commune
A man who lost his iPhone over 12 months ago couldn't believe his luck when he managed to find it again.
The man, who has been identified on social media only as Chen, had been paddle-boarding on Sun Moon Lake on March 15th last year when his phone - which he had been keeping around his neck in a special waterproof bag - disappeared into the depths after an unfortunate topple into the water.

Unable to retrieve it, he went home wondering if anyone else would ever come across it.

Incredibly, over a year later and during the worst drought Taiwan has seen in 56 years, he received word that someone had actually discovered his phone lying on the baked, dried-up shoreline.

The specific area in question, it turned out, had not been exposed for over 50 years and a mere few days after the phone was found the area was underwater again.
When Chen was finally reunited with the phone, he took it out of the pouch - which was covered in soil - and tried charging it up. To his surprise and delight, it actually worked.

"I can only say that the waterproof case for the phone is really great!" he wrote. "There is no water in it! I'm so happy to have recovered my phone after having lost it for so long."

Others on Facebook were quick to add their own thoughts, with one person joking that "sales of this waterproof bag are going to boom" and another referring to his phone as the "mini Titanic."

"This achievement may be impossible for many people to accomplish in a lifetime," another noted.

Source: Taiwan News | Comments (9)

Comment icon #1 Posted by Eldorado 7 months ago
Heads up..... No smartphone is waterproof, not even your iPhone. And no, your AirPods are not waterproof, either. Waterproof implies that a device is completely indestructible by water. That would mean you could go snorkeling with your iPhone for hours and it would be just fine. As it stands, no smartphone is waterproof.  But some are water-resistant. Which ones?.....full monty at https://www.makeuseof.com/what-iphones-are-waterproof/
Comment icon #2 Posted by toast 7 months ago
From the article:
Comment icon #3 Posted by Stiff 7 months ago
"I can only say that the waterproof case for the phone is really great!" he wrote. "There is no water in it! I think the clue is in the "waterproof case". Otherwise it would just be a 'case'. As Eldo says, the phones themselves aren't waterproof. They're classed as 'water resistant' which is another thing entirely. I've dropped my Samsung's in the bath a couple of times but quickly retrieved them and they've dried out fine.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Eldorado 7 months ago
I know.  I was merely giving a heads-up, not being critical.
Comment icon #5 Posted by jethrofloyd 7 months ago
Maybe it was Chuck Norris's iPhone?
Comment icon #6 Posted by Jon the frog 7 months ago
My uncle dropped is phone in an icefishing hole. Another fisherman got it one week later on is fish hook, dryed it up and phone him at home with it, it was a flip phone, 15 years ago. Probably the cold oxygen deprived freshwater saved it from oxidation.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Timothy 7 months ago
Thread title misleading.  Should read ‘iPhone still works after year spent in waterproof bag’.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Nnicolette 7 months ago
They used to be. Its really annoying how consumerism drives them the make frailer and frailer products. Remember razors? One time i got stuck in a snowbank on a mountain and lost one in the snow while digging my tires out. When I came back up the mountain a few weeks later to move more of my stuff i looked over and there laying on the freshly plowed and clear road was my phone. It worked perfect. For comparison my son tossed my android in an empty bathtub one day. Somehow a lone remaining droplet in the tub managed to splash up inside and it never worked again. Really annoyed the fact that peo... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by OpenMindedSceptic 7 months ago
I was amazed after the first 5 words. Guess there was no latest version being released that year.