Friday, September 22, 2017

Man attempts to smuggle fish in his trousers

Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2013 | Comment icon 29 comments

The tropical fish were a species of cichlid. Image Credit: CC 1.0 Mendel
With pockets bulging with water, the Vietnamese man tried unsuccessfully to get through airport security.
The peculiar smuggling attempt took place following a flight from Australia to New Zealand this week. Airport security officials noticed that something was amiss when the man tried to get through the terminal with pockets that were soaking wet and bulging with water.

Initially claiming that he had actually filled his pockets with water so that he'd have something to drink, the man was searched and found to be carrying a number of tropical fish that he had been attempting to smuggle in to the country.

"This appears to be a deliberate attempt to smuggle fish into the country without any consideration of the biosecurity risk involved," MPI spokesman Craig Hughes said in a statement. "That's something we take very seriously. The fish could have been carrying diseases or have the potential to displace native species."

The bungling smuggler now faces either a hefty fine or a stint of five years in prison.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (29)

Tags: Smuggling, Fish

Comment icon #20 Posted by cacoseraph on 3 September, 2013, 9:30
At least he didn't swallow the fish and puke it back out when hes on the other side. nice 12M ref! It sounds silly, but the pet smuggling trade is pretty crazy. From what I have read,.the animal parts for religious reasons trade is approach and/or passing the pet trade for certain species. So, really, if someone said you could make $10 grand, US, for making one trip with *something* in your pockets would you rather transport three keys of heroin or six cute little fishes? I know in my bug world people get snagged fairly regularly and in my end of the hobby they might make a couple few grand...... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by The_Student on 3 September, 2013, 18:13
Pray tell. Plastic baggies full of water in tightly sealed boxes in your suitcase. So if the bags burst, the fish and water will still end up in a secure box.
Comment icon #22 Posted by cacoseraph on 5 September, 2013, 6:00
Plastic baggies full of water in tightly sealed boxes in your suitcase. So if the bags burst, the fish and water will still end up in a secure box. Well, depending on the length of time the fish are going to be contained and the bags used, that might not work. I was quite surprised to find out, when on a bug collecting trip with a multi-animal enthusiast that there are plastic bags out there that allow gas exchange to keep fish alive in water longer than "fully" seal bugs would do. Though, upon googling I can't actually find any legit refs in the few minutes I allow myself for such things. Hmm... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by Sundew on 10 September, 2013, 20:53
nice 12M ref! It sounds silly, but the pet smuggling trade is pretty crazy. From what I have read,.the animal parts for religious reasons trade is approach and/or passing the pet trade for certain species. So, really, if someone said you could make $10 grand, US, for making one trip with *something* in your pockets would you rather transport three keys of heroin or six cute little fishes? I know in my bug world people get snagged fairly regularly and in my end of the hobby they might make a couple few grand... not $10,000+ At one time pet smuggling replaced drug smuggling because the fines and... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by BiffSplitkins on 11 September, 2013, 15:33
At least he wasn't smuggling 'brown trout' in his underwear.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Sundew on 15 September, 2013, 21:13
"Is that a cichlid in your pocket or are you glad to see me?"
Comment icon #26 Posted by MamaTweedy on 16 September, 2013, 3:18
Who wants some trouser trout lmfao
Comment icon #27 Posted by jesspy on 17 September, 2013, 11:27
Comment icon #28 Posted by BiffSplitkins on 17 September, 2013, 16:57
Lol to all the fish puns. What makes someone think this was a good idea? Poor fish. No kidding, It gives a whole new meaning to the 'As Seen On TV' Pocket Fisherman. :-)
Comment icon #29 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 19 September, 2013, 13:39
Poor fish. I hope they are ok..

Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Europe withdraws from anti-asteroid mission
9-21-2017
An upcoming mission designed to test out the deflection of a large asteroid has hit a bit of a snag.
Giant prehistoric frog ate small dinosaurs
9-21-2017
At the size of a beach ball, the monster-sized Beelzebufo ampinga was the largest frog that ever lived.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY