Friday, July 21, 2017

Mystery 'ugly woman' painting solved

Posted on Monday, 7 October, 2013 | Comment icon 22 comments

It still isn't clear who painted the portrait or who sent it. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Jennifer Rensel
82-year-old Keith Webb had received a mysterious painting of an old woman through the mail.
The story of the strange portrait made headlines last week when Keith and his wife Sue appealed for help identifying it. The picture had arrived at their home unexpectedly with no note to say who had sent it or why. The subject was a rather eerie looking old woman who soon became known as the "ugly old crone". Mrs Webb had taken such a dislike to the image that she'd had her husband banish the painting to the garage.

So much interest in the mystery was generated that one of Mr Webb's relatives in Australia heard about the story and recognized the painting as having once hung in his late uncle's house. While it still isn't clear who sent it to the Webbs, the painting at least now appears to be a portrait of one of their own family.

"I believe it's a portrait of my great, great grandmother," said Mr Webb. "Alison, my late cousin's wife in Perth, Western Australia saw the initial story about Sue and I being sent the picture and solved the mystery. She remembered staying with my uncle, Charles Webb, in Winchester in the 1970s and that the painting used to hang on his bedroom wall."

Mr Webb was however aware that some of his earlier comments about the painting were less than flattering. "Having initially been so rude about the painting, it now turns out it's come from within the family," he said.

Source: BBC News | Comments (22)

Tags: Painting

Comment icon #13 Posted by Sundew on 7 October, 2013, 13:11
I was going to say Nancy Pelosi called and wants her portrait back, but that would be just wrong........
Comment icon #14 Posted by flbrnt on 7 October, 2013, 15:47
Comment icon #15 Posted by shaddow134 on 7 October, 2013, 16:00
I thought it had been painted as a tribute to all Mother in Laws everywhere.
Comment icon #16 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 7 October, 2013, 17:00
Mum? Yikes, I thought I lost all her pictures, portraits or otherwise...
Comment icon #17 Posted by Calibeliever on 7 October, 2013, 17:21
UGLY Woman now solved quote: "Having initially been so rude about the painting, it now turns out it's come from within the family," he added. http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-24419383 Whoops, sorry great gam-gam.
Comment icon #18 Posted by pallidin on 7 October, 2013, 17:41
Curious that people are frightened by an elderly woman with sad, haunting eyes. Think of all the life she has lived. In those days they did not have dentistry, face lifts and all the things people rely on now to make themselves look "beautiful". Yeah I don't judge people on their current looks. I've been around many an elderly woman at a golf club I used to work, and after seeing some of their early photos, I was thinking "Dang, they were HOT" I've also seen this in comparison wedding pics in the newspaper. You know, the one's celebrating, say, their 50th aniversary and they show 2 sets of pic... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Simbi Laveau on 7 October, 2013, 18:03
Curious that people are frightened by an elderly woman with sad, haunting eyes. Think of all the life she has lived. In those days they did not have dentistry, face lifts and all the things people rely on now to make themselves look "beautiful". My feeling on her was, she was someone's wet nurse or something, and in her later years began to get sick, and someone wanted to capture her before she was gone. Someone who loved her.
Comment icon #20 Posted by little_dreamer on 7 October, 2013, 18:10
Not the worst piece of art I've seen, but not the best either. Place it in your guest bedroom so she can stare at your guests at night.
Comment icon #21 Posted by seeder on 7 October, 2013, 20:34
Yeah I don't judge people on their current looks. I've been around many an elderly woman at a golf club I used to work, and after seeing some of their early photos, I was thinking "Dang, they were HOT" I've also seen this in comparison wedding pics in the newspaper. You know, the one's celebrating, say, their 50th aniversary and they show 2 sets of pics... one taken when they were married and quite attractive, then 50 years later. So when I look at an elderly person I try not to think of their current infirmities or "looks", but rather think about how full of life they were when younger. and s... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Lava_Lady on 7 October, 2013, 21:21
I think she's awesome. I would hang her up in a heartbeat Just not in the bedroom or anywhere you might be doing something.... errr.... naughty. She looks pretty stern.

Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Australia find 'rewrites the history books'
7-20-2017
Archaeologists now believe that Australia was colonized 18,000 years earlier than previously thought.
Top US general warns against killer robots
7-19-2017
General Paul Selva has spoken out about the dangers of creating fully autonomous weapon systems.
Frozen sausages land on house roof in Florida
7-19-2017
A family in South Florida were left perplexed this week after their house was hit by bags of frozen meat.
Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

The asteroid hunters
Posted 7-16-2017 | 1 comment
A look at ongoing efforts to detect and track potentially dangerous asteroids.

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.