Saturday, July 30, 2016

Mystery 'ugly woman' painting solved

Posted on Monday, 7 October, 2013 | Comment icon 22 comments

It still isn't clear who painted the portrait or who sent it. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Jennifer Rensel
82-year-old Keith Webb had received a mysterious painting of an old woman through the mail.
The story of the strange portrait made headlines last week when Keith and his wife Sue appealed for help identifying it. The picture had arrived at their home unexpectedly with no note to say who had sent it or why. The subject was a rather eerie looking old woman who soon became known as the "ugly old crone". Mrs Webb had taken such a dislike to the image that she'd had her husband banish the painting to the garage.

So much interest in the mystery was generated that one of Mr Webb's relatives in Australia heard about the story and recognized the painting as having once hung in his late uncle's house. While it still isn't clear who sent it to the Webbs, the painting at least now appears to be a portrait of one of their own family.

"I believe it's a portrait of my great, great grandmother," said Mr Webb. "Alison, my late cousin's wife in Perth, Western Australia saw the initial story about Sue and I being sent the picture and solved the mystery. She remembered staying with my uncle, Charles Webb, in Winchester in the 1970s and that the painting used to hang on his bedroom wall."

Mr Webb was however aware that some of his earlier comments about the painting were less than flattering. "Having initially been so rude about the painting, it now turns out it's come from within the family," he said.

Source: BBC News | Comments (22)

Tags: Painting

Comment icon #13 Posted by Sundew on 7 October, 2013, 13:11
I was going to say Nancy Pelosi called and wants her portrait back, but that would be just wrong........
Comment icon #14 Posted by flbrnt on 7 October, 2013, 15:47
Comment icon #15 Posted by shaddow134 on 7 October, 2013, 16:00
I thought it had been painted as a tribute to all Mother in Laws everywhere.
Comment icon #16 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 7 October, 2013, 17:00
Mum? Yikes, I thought I lost all her pictures, portraits or otherwise...
Comment icon #17 Posted by Calibeliever on 7 October, 2013, 17:21
UGLY Woman now solved quote: "Having initially been so rude about the painting, it now turns out it's come from within the family," he added. http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-24419383 Whoops, sorry great gam-gam.
Comment icon #18 Posted by pallidin on 7 October, 2013, 17:41
Curious that people are frightened by an elderly woman with sad, haunting eyes. Think of all the life she has lived. In those days they did not have dentistry, face lifts and all the things people rely on now to make themselves look "beautiful". Yeah I don't judge people on their current looks. I've been around many an elderly woman at a golf club I used to work, and after seeing some of their early photos, I was thinking "Dang, they were HOT" I've also seen this in comparison wedding pics in the newspaper. You know, the one's celebrating, say, their 50th aniversary and they show 2 sets of pic... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Simbi Laveau on 7 October, 2013, 18:03
Curious that people are frightened by an elderly woman with sad, haunting eyes. Think of all the life she has lived. In those days they did not have dentistry, face lifts and all the things people rely on now to make themselves look "beautiful". My feeling on her was, she was someone's wet nurse or something, and in her later years began to get sick, and someone wanted to capture her before she was gone. Someone who loved her.
Comment icon #20 Posted by little_dreamer on 7 October, 2013, 18:10
Not the worst piece of art I've seen, but not the best either. Place it in your guest bedroom so she can stare at your guests at night.
Comment icon #21 Posted by seeder on 7 October, 2013, 20:34
Yeah I don't judge people on their current looks. I've been around many an elderly woman at a golf club I used to work, and after seeing some of their early photos, I was thinking "Dang, they were HOT" I've also seen this in comparison wedding pics in the newspaper. You know, the one's celebrating, say, their 50th aniversary and they show 2 sets of pics... one taken when they were married and quite attractive, then 50 years later. So when I look at an elderly person I try not to think of their current infirmities or "looks", but rather think about how full of life they were when younger. and s... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Lava_Lady on 7 October, 2013, 21:21
I think she's awesome. I would hang her up in a heartbeat Just not in the bedroom or anywhere you might be doing something.... errr.... naughty. She looks pretty stern.

Cheese discovered in 340-year-old shipwreck
7-29-2016
A container of foul-smelling cheese has been recovered from the site of a sunken 17th-century gunship.
Skydiver to jump without any parachute at all
7-29-2016
Skydiver Luke Aikins will be attempting to jump from 25,000ft and land in a safety net on live TV.
Apollo astronauts at risk of heart problems
7-29-2016
The astronauts who walked on the moon are up to five times more likely to die of cardiovascular disease.
Man has spent 25 years searching for Nessie
7-28-2016
It has now been 25 years since Steve Feltham dedicated his life to hunting down the Loch Ness Monster.
Can you crash something in to the sun ?
Posted 7-29-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the difficulties involved in sending a spacecraft to collide with the sun.

What if Lego figures were real ?
Posted 7-28-2016 | 4 comments
A bizarre look at a creepy Lego-inspired mask that turns you in to a life-sized Lego minifigure.

Following the Oregon Trail
Posted 7-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look back at Narcissa Whitman - the first woman to complete the Oregon Trail.

Walking over light bulbs
Posted 7-26-2016 | 2 comments
This skilled Chinese woman succeeds in walking across light bulbs for 20 meters.

Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 7 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah