Thursday, July 27, 2017

Scientists report nuclear fusion milestone

Posted on Tuesday, 8 October, 2013 | Comment icon 17 comments

Achieveing fusion is a complex task. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Lawrence Livermore National Security
Researchers have passed a crucial milestone in their ongoing efforts to create sustainble fusion power.
Nuclear fusion, the process that takes place within the sun, has long been sought after as the holy grail of power generation. If an effective self-sustaining nuclear fusion reactor could be built then it would be one of the greatest scientific achievements of the modern age, providing clean and limitless power to everyone without any of the dangers associated with conventional nuclear fission power plants. Unsurprisingly scientists have been pursuing this dream for decades.

Now researchers at the National Ignition Facility in California have managed to pass a major milestone in the creation of sustainable fusion by conducting an experiment in which the amount of energy produced by the fusion reaction exceeded the amount of energy absorbed.

Source: BBC News | Comments (17)

Tags: Nuclear Fusion

Comment icon #8 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 8 October, 2013, 18:59
The implications if they can finally make this work are staggering.
Comment icon #9 Posted by StarMountainKid on 8 October, 2013, 23:03
Comment icon #10 Posted by DieChecker on 8 October, 2013, 23:22
To accomplish this, scientists used 192 beams from the world's most powerful laser to heat up a pellet of hydrogen fuel to the point at which fusion occurs. The team hopes to eventually achieve what they refer to as "ignition", the point at which the fusion reaction is able to produce as much power as the lasers supply. ONLY 192 of the worlds most powerful lasers concentrated on one tiny pellet of hydrogen??? And how do you make a pellet of hyrdrogen? A step forward I suspect, but still miles and miles till we have fusion power plants. I case anyone is confused by the wording... This experimen... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by Timonthy on 8 October, 2013, 23:25
The lasers used more energy than was output. The energy produced by the hydrogen pellet was more than was absorbed by the hydrogen pellet. Eg. The pellet does not absorb all the energy output from the lasers. So overall the system is still at a loss. But having more energy output than absorbed is the milestone here.
Comment icon #12 Posted by DieChecker on 8 October, 2013, 23:28
What exactly would be the result of contained fusion as an energy source? Heat. Heated water to produce steam. So, whatever machines that would use fusion as an energy source would be steam powered. Electrical generators, mainly, I think. So, what are the advantage of fusion power vs. fission power? In fusion, you just take hydrogen and transform it into helium, like the Sun does. The problem is delivering enough energy to the hydrogen in enough of a density to get it to change into helium. And then of course there will be the problem of scaling it up. Not radioactive that I know of. In fissio... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Sundew on 9 October, 2013, 0:56
If fusion ever becomes a common way to generate "free" energy it will change the geo-political structure of the planet and cause the rise and fall of empires.
Comment icon #14 Posted by sepulchrave on 9 October, 2013, 14:30
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist (but I guess this is the appropriate site for it...), but I tend to believe the stories that the National Ignition Facility was primarily designed as a model for the dynamics inside a nuclear weapon - in other words, to study the dynamics inside a thermonuclear weapon without having to break the ban on testing actual thermonuclear weapons. While it is possible that some of the science will be useful for fusion power, I personally find it very hard to believe that this is a credible avenue for fusion power. Even if a hydrogen pellet achieves true ignit... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by Big Bad Voodoo on 9 October, 2013, 15:33
I wish that I understand what you were saying, Sepul.
Comment icon #16 Posted by DieChecker on 9 October, 2013, 21:52
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist (but I guess this is the appropriate site for it...), but I tend to believe the stories that the National Ignition Facility was primarily designed as a model for the dynamics inside a nuclear weapon - in other words, to study the dynamics inside a thermonuclear weapon without having to break the ban on testing actual thermonuclear weapons. That is not a conspiracy, it is what happens there on a daily basis. From my earlier link.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24429621 In 2009, NIF officials announced an aim to demonstrate nuclear fus... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Chooky88 on 13 October, 2013, 8:56
Looks like I won't be powering my DeLorean with a Mr Fusion any time soon. However this "dream" is one worth pursuing and could save this planet. What's worse than fission? Coal. Australia is addicted to the filthy 19th century tech stuff :-(

3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI