Monday, August 31, 2015   |   4,893 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Alpine goats go for walk on near-vertical dam

Posted on Thursday, 17 October, 2013 | Comment icon 34 comments

Alpine ibex live at altitudes of up to 1500ft. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Nino Barbieri
Images have appeared online showing the animals balancing precariously on an extremely steep wall.
Alpine Ibex are well known for possessing impeccable balance that helps them to traverse mountainous terrain with ease, but one group of goats in Northern Italy's Gran Paradiso National Park have taken this to a whole new level.

Laura Antimiani had been trekking in the region when she came upon a near-vertical dam on which 11 goats were grazing. The animals didn't seem phased in the slightest by the extortionately steep wall that they were teetering along, instead focusing only on licking the salt and minerals off the rocks.

Antimiani described her feelings towards the spectacle as "an indescribable emotion".

Source: Telegraph | Comments (34)

Tags: Goat, Ibex

Comment icon #25 Posted by SkepticalB on 19 October, 2013, 1:31
I'd also enjoy seeing the attempt and the results of that attempt
Comment icon #26 Posted by pallidin on 19 October, 2013, 4:01
Wait, I think I got it. The fact that a goat has "cloven hooves" perhaps allows the feet to straddle an edge, with one part of the split foot on top, the other just below it, and their skin/muscles/tendons whatever in between the "split" helping the grip. Just a thought.
Comment icon #27 Posted by libstaK on 19 October, 2013, 4:07
This has been really bothering you hasn't it? lol.
Comment icon #28 Posted by SkepticalB on 19 October, 2013, 16:11
I just assumed all the satanists were right all along and the goats really are beacons of dark magic.
Comment icon #29 Posted by pallidin on 19 October, 2013, 16:59
I know, huh. Actually I was thinking of how they can do this with respect to safer rock climbing shoes for people. But I don't think a human foot has the ability to properly handle a cloven shoe. There goes my "Shark Tank" idea. Dang.
Comment icon #30 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 20 October, 2013, 0:03
Am I the only one who think the music in the video is incredibly out of place...? They're goats climbing a dam, not starving children in a famine...
Comment icon #31 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 20 October, 2013, 3:54
It's just a walk in the park for them. lol
Comment icon #32 Posted by Mr Turk on 20 October, 2013, 22:53
Seen something similar in Montana on a dam that was a little less vertical. Pretty amazing to witness this phenomenon in person
Comment icon #33 Posted by lightly on 20 October, 2013, 23:44
It bothered me most to watch little tiny ones do it! In the "smokies" or thereabouts.
Comment icon #34 Posted by longhairlover on 23 October, 2013, 2:14
They must have a very strong awareness of balance and of their center of gravity.

UFO sighting over Japan
8-13-2015 | Japan

Twin UFOs on patrol
8-6-2015 | England

Something roaming in the woods
7-19-2015 | Salt Fork, Ohio

Strange growl
7-16-2015 | Yakima, WA

Loud screeching in the woods
7-10-2015 | Kansas, IL

Was she my spirit guide?
7-3-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

Floating above my bed
7-2-2015 | Brittany, France

The haunted Queenslander
7-2-2015 | Queensland, Australia

'IT' was there to take me!
7-2-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA