Friday, October 31, 2014   |   3,549 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Documents reveal Area 51 Cold War secrecy

Posted on Friday, 15 November, 2013 | Comment icon 33 comments

Documents pertaining to the base remained classified for decades. Image Credit: sxc.hu

Several newly declassified documents have lifted the lid on Area 51 and the struggle to keep it a secret.

It was only a few months ago that the first documents acknowledging the existence of the base were released to the public. Far from being a home to captured alien technology however these documents revealed the base to have been a testing ground for a number of more conventional operations such as the U-2 and OXCART aerial surveillance programs.

Unsurprisingly, during the Cold War there was great concern over the potential for the Soviets to obtain images of the base using spy satellites. A newly released National Reconnaissance Office document from 1962 outlines the rationale behind taking photographs using America's own satellites of the base in order to see what, if anything, the Soviets could see if they should attempt to photograph it themselves.

Another document that was released outlines concerns over an incident in which astronauts on the Skylab space station took a photograph of the base from orbit. In a letter from the deputy director of the NRO, the document outlines the merits of retaining the photograph "as a high-priority secret national security installation versus the merits of the NASA belief that there would be domestic and foreign problems created by withholding the photograph."

In the end the photograph was released and placed in a satellite remote sensing data repository.

Source: Space.com | Comments (33)

Tags: Area 51

Comment icon #24 Posted by DONTEATUS on 6 June, 2014, 21:44
YEah ! THey Bury everything way underground so All the eMole people can get the Good Stuff ! Bob Lazar types ! THen THey Battle it out and Kill off hindreds of Aliens, ANd We never get to See it on the Nightly NEws !
Comment icon #25 Posted by SaraT on 6 June, 2014, 22:01
Some posts are simply too deep for me...
Comment icon #26 Posted by Merc14 on 7 June, 2014, 1:06
Examples please. I am sure you have many examples of people roughed up and jailed forever so let's have a look. Oops, there ya go. I see you are backing off already. Just some woo talk and anger that a country would try and protect its military secrets.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 7 June, 2014, 2:45
There are times when I think that encounters with EBEs and UFOs are encounters with servicemen and prototypes to make the trails go cold. They're cases of misdirection. The Bennewitz case comes to mind as one example that went horribly wrong. The poor man passed after having a nervous breakdown brought on by a very cruel psy-ops campaign. I'm agnostic on abductions in that I don't know who the abductors are. I believe the accounts of the Hills and Walton, along with some others, but I'm not sure who's behind those events. They could have been staged by the military to da... [More]
Comment icon #28 Posted by bendigger0 on 10 June, 2014, 16:36
Government "released" the files, indicating No Aliens at Area 51.... of course YOU believe them don't you?
Comment icon #29 Posted by Merc14 on 10 June, 2014, 18:12
I don't doubt that the military would alllow a UFO report about a crashed black program to continue on unabated as it solves their problem for them. I don't believe in the abduction stories and neither do I believe that extraterrestials are visiting earth. i reviewed teh Bennewitz case and saw zero, nada, zilch proof of a very cruel psyops program that drove the poor man crazy. Benewitz appeared to all of his compatriots to be a mentally ill individual who was afflicted with paranoid delusions and was in and out of mental health institutions most of his adult life. Some other U... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 11 June, 2014, 2:30
Your post contradicts what I hear on talk shows. You might be right; I don't really know. I don't know what Bennewitz's mental health was like *before* and during the alleged events. It *would* make sense that he had mental problems before he became involved in the affair, but that would be pure speculation on my part. I always thought that he had to be in a somewhat fragile state of mind to have a nervous breakdown in the manner that he did. I need to re-listen to a show on the Bennewitz case to see what I think when my memory and mind are fresh and sharp. I might be able to ge... [More]
Comment icon #31 Posted by DONTEATUS on 11 June, 2014, 14:41
I love Area 51 Its a great think tank& Development base !
Comment icon #32 Posted by dr no on 11 June, 2014, 16:44
Show us the proof there are aliens there and i'll believe it but YOU haven't got any!
Comment icon #33 Posted by DONTEATUS on 12 June, 2014, 19:17
Im telling you Just watch the Documentry The one with Will Smith ! There out there man ! que Video !

Hotel hauntings