Thursday, January 19, 2017

Man has ability to 'taste' words and sounds

Posted on Tuesday, 26 November, 2013 | Comment icon 11 comments

James can 'taste' London Underground stations. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 dconvertini
James Wannerton possesses the unusual ability to derive an actual physical taste from places and names.
The 54-year-old suffers from a rare neurological disorder called lexical-gustatory synesthesia which means that senses usually experienced individually become linked together. The side effect of the condition is that James is able to taste words, sounds and other inputs that usually have nothing to do with that sense at all.

"These tastes and textures are a real mouth feel and not simply an association," he said. "They are all involuntary and the taste and textures cannot be 'turned off' or 'toned down.'"

In a move that has helped neurologists better understand the condition, James has taken to producing a detailed map of the London Underground based on the unique tastes he's experienced at each station over the last 49 years.

Among the more unusual stops are "Burnt matches", "Chocolate Digestives" and "Curly Wurly". Each station seems to invoke a different taste ranging from common foodstuffs to more random things such as "Coal Dust" and "Pencil Eraser".

Source: MSN | Comments (11)

Tags: James Wannerton, Taste

Comment icon #2 Posted by highdesert50 on 26 November, 2013, 17:27
A hereditary trait and one that appears to have not been incorporated into our evolution. If it had, then imagine what how powerful our oral and written language would be ... to "eat one's own words" would have an entirely new meaning.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado on 26 November, 2013, 18:24
I wonder if any of the stations taste of that lovely blast of rotten air you get when standing on the platform.
Comment icon #4 Posted by spartan max2 on 26 November, 2013, 18:37
listing to music must be extra intense for this guy
Comment icon #5 Posted by Razer on 26 November, 2013, 21:53
Synesthesia is an interesting thing and well documented. I can't imagine what that would be like.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Rye17 on 27 November, 2013, 2:19
Comment icon #7 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 27 November, 2013, 2:20
NEXT TIME ON DETECTIVE LICKS... "What do you make of it, Licks?" "I can't think when you're talking, Craig. You're interfering with the taste."
Comment icon #8 Posted by LimeGelatin on 27 November, 2013, 17:22
"Dude, can you smell that color and taste that sound... No, well here, have another sugar cube..." -LoLzzz
Comment icon #9 Posted by regeneratia on 29 November, 2013, 0:01
Synesthesia is an intriguing concept. Upon recovering from rotator cuff surgery this summer, I was placed in an interesting room for PT. It had this huge displayed quartz crystal facing me, while I was on the massage table. It also had a big hunk of pink himalayan salt. When the therapist started working on the rotation of the humerus in my shoulder cuff, the light in the room went green, while I was gritting my teeth with pain. It happened several times, green lighting, mostly limited to that room. It did happen one other time in another room.
Comment icon #10 Posted by rodentraiser on 4 February, 2014, 4:44
Synesthesia isn't all that rare. I've heard 1 in 25 people may have it. I have the more common type. I "see" what I hear, like voices and music. I also have a visual calendar for months and for the week, and I have a number line, which is somewhat common to synesthetes. Razer, I can't imagine what it would be like to not have it. I consider it a gift and I also use it a lot, especially where numbers are concerned. My favorite song to watch is the theme from ST:TNG because I can see the notes in different colors as they play together, followed by the big white explosion at the end of the theme.
Comment icon #11 Posted by rodentraiser on 4 February, 2014, 4:45
OMG - I am so sorry everyone - I just realized this topic is more than 2 months old.

Namibia fairy circle mystery solved at last ?
1-19-2017
Ecologists believe that they may have finally solved the mystery behind Namibia's mysterious circles.
Yellow-haired moth named after Donald Trump
1-19-2017
A new species of tiny moth with a wingspan of just 0.4 inches has been named after the President-elect.
60% of primate species are facing extinction
1-18-2017
A worrying new study has shown just how vulnerable many of the world's primate species actually are.
CIA uploads millions of declassified files
1-18-2017
The documents cover everything from UFO sightings to government-backed remote viewing experiments.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
The future of warfare
Posted 1-19-2017 | 2 comments
Drone armies and laser cannons may become increasingly common in the near future.

Kowloon Walled City
Posted 1-18-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what was once the most densely populated area on the surface of the planet.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Washing machine throwing
Posted 1-14-2017 | 8 comments
Two strongmen battle it out to see who can throw a washing machine the furthest.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland