Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Man has ability to 'taste' words and sounds

Posted on Tuesday, 26 November, 2013 | Comment icon 11 comments

James can 'taste' London Underground stations. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 dconvertini
James Wannerton possesses the unusual ability to derive an actual physical taste from places and names.
The 54-year-old suffers from a rare neurological disorder called lexical-gustatory synesthesia which means that senses usually experienced individually become linked together. The side effect of the condition is that James is able to taste words, sounds and other inputs that usually have nothing to do with that sense at all.

"These tastes and textures are a real mouth feel and not simply an association," he said. "They are all involuntary and the taste and textures cannot be 'turned off' or 'toned down.'"

In a move that has helped neurologists better understand the condition, James has taken to producing a detailed map of the London Underground based on the unique tastes he's experienced at each station over the last 49 years.

Among the more unusual stops are "Burnt matches", "Chocolate Digestives" and "Curly Wurly". Each station seems to invoke a different taste ranging from common foodstuffs to more random things such as "Coal Dust" and "Pencil Eraser".

Source: MSN | Comments (11)

Tags: James Wannerton, Taste

Comment icon #2 Posted by highdesert50 on 26 November, 2013, 17:27
A hereditary trait and one that appears to have not been incorporated into our evolution. If it had, then imagine what how powerful our oral and written language would be ... to "eat one's own words" would have an entirely new meaning.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado on 26 November, 2013, 18:24
I wonder if any of the stations taste of that lovely blast of rotten air you get when standing on the platform.
Comment icon #4 Posted by spartan max2 on 26 November, 2013, 18:37
listing to music must be extra intense for this guy
Comment icon #5 Posted by Razer on 26 November, 2013, 21:53
Synesthesia is an interesting thing and well documented. I can't imagine what that would be like.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Rye17 on 27 November, 2013, 2:19
Comment icon #7 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 27 November, 2013, 2:20
NEXT TIME ON DETECTIVE LICKS... "What do you make of it, Licks?" "I can't think when you're talking, Craig. You're interfering with the taste."
Comment icon #8 Posted by LimeGelatin on 27 November, 2013, 17:22
"Dude, can you smell that color and taste that sound... No, well here, have another sugar cube..." -LoLzzz
Comment icon #9 Posted by regeneratia on 29 November, 2013, 0:01
Synesthesia is an intriguing concept. Upon recovering from rotator cuff surgery this summer, I was placed in an interesting room for PT. It had this huge displayed quartz crystal facing me, while I was on the massage table. It also had a big hunk of pink himalayan salt. When the therapist started working on the rotation of the humerus in my shoulder cuff, the light in the room went green, while I was gritting my teeth with pain. It happened several times, green lighting, mostly limited to that room. It did happen one other time in another room.
Comment icon #10 Posted by rodentraiser on 4 February, 2014, 4:44
Synesthesia isn't all that rare. I've heard 1 in 25 people may have it. I have the more common type. I "see" what I hear, like voices and music. I also have a visual calendar for months and for the week, and I have a number line, which is somewhat common to synesthetes. Razer, I can't imagine what it would be like to not have it. I consider it a gift and I also use it a lot, especially where numbers are concerned. My favorite song to watch is the theme from ST:TNG because I can see the notes in different colors as they play together, followed by the big white explosion at the end of the theme.
Comment icon #11 Posted by rodentraiser on 4 February, 2014, 4:45
OMG - I am so sorry everyone - I just realized this topic is more than 2 months old.

Google invents an AI that learns on its own
10-18-2017
The search giant has developed an artificial intelligence capable of learning without human intervention.
Saturn's rings are raining down methane
10-18-2017
NASA has revealed the discovery of methane and other chemicals in the gas giant's upper atmosphere.
48 million-year-old bird fossil unearthed
10-18-2017
A prehistoric species of bird that preened itself like a flamingo has been discovered in Germany.
Bolsover Castle is voted 'England's spookiest'
10-17-2017
Built on an ancient burial ground, Bolsover Castle in Derbyshire has a reputation for being haunted.
Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland