Friday, August 18, 2017

Man has ability to 'taste' words and sounds

Posted on Tuesday, 26 November, 2013 | Comment icon 11 comments

James can 'taste' London Underground stations. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 dconvertini
James Wannerton possesses the unusual ability to derive an actual physical taste from places and names.
The 54-year-old suffers from a rare neurological disorder called lexical-gustatory synesthesia which means that senses usually experienced individually become linked together. The side effect of the condition is that James is able to taste words, sounds and other inputs that usually have nothing to do with that sense at all.

"These tastes and textures are a real mouth feel and not simply an association," he said. "They are all involuntary and the taste and textures cannot be 'turned off' or 'toned down.'"

In a move that has helped neurologists better understand the condition, James has taken to producing a detailed map of the London Underground based on the unique tastes he's experienced at each station over the last 49 years.

Among the more unusual stops are "Burnt matches", "Chocolate Digestives" and "Curly Wurly". Each station seems to invoke a different taste ranging from common foodstuffs to more random things such as "Coal Dust" and "Pencil Eraser".

Source: MSN | Comments (11)

Tags: James Wannerton, Taste

Comment icon #2 Posted by highdesert50 on 26 November, 2013, 17:27
A hereditary trait and one that appears to have not been incorporated into our evolution. If it had, then imagine what how powerful our oral and written language would be ... to "eat one's own words" would have an entirely new meaning.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado on 26 November, 2013, 18:24
I wonder if any of the stations taste of that lovely blast of rotten air you get when standing on the platform.
Comment icon #4 Posted by spartan max2 on 26 November, 2013, 18:37
listing to music must be extra intense for this guy
Comment icon #5 Posted by Razer on 26 November, 2013, 21:53
Synesthesia is an interesting thing and well documented. I can't imagine what that would be like.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Rye17 on 27 November, 2013, 2:19
Comment icon #7 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 27 November, 2013, 2:20
NEXT TIME ON DETECTIVE LICKS... "What do you make of it, Licks?" "I can't think when you're talking, Craig. You're interfering with the taste."
Comment icon #8 Posted by LimeGelatin on 27 November, 2013, 17:22
"Dude, can you smell that color and taste that sound... No, well here, have another sugar cube..." -LoLzzz
Comment icon #9 Posted by regeneratia on 29 November, 2013, 0:01
Synesthesia is an intriguing concept. Upon recovering from rotator cuff surgery this summer, I was placed in an interesting room for PT. It had this huge displayed quartz crystal facing me, while I was on the massage table. It also had a big hunk of pink himalayan salt. When the therapist started working on the rotation of the humerus in my shoulder cuff, the light in the room went green, while I was gritting my teeth with pain. It happened several times, green lighting, mostly limited to that room. It did happen one other time in another room.
Comment icon #10 Posted by rodentraiser on 4 February, 2014, 4:44
Synesthesia isn't all that rare. I've heard 1 in 25 people may have it. I have the more common type. I "see" what I hear, like voices and music. I also have a visual calendar for months and for the week, and I have a number line, which is somewhat common to synesthetes. Razer, I can't imagine what it would be like to not have it. I consider it a gift and I also use it a lot, especially where numbers are concerned. My favorite song to watch is the theme from ST:TNG because I can see the notes in different colors as they play together, followed by the big white explosion at the end of the theme.
Comment icon #11 Posted by rodentraiser on 4 February, 2014, 4:45
OMG - I am so sorry everyone - I just realized this topic is more than 2 months old.

Stories, Sightings & Experiences
  My son saw a little black 'demon'?
  Ghost at Gettysburg?
  Pulsating light
 Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Gnosticism
  The Urantia Papers
  Any LaVey Fans Here?
Mystery of distant Kuiper Belt object deepens
8-17-2017
The next target of NASA's New Horizons probe is a space rock with some rather intriguing properties.
Scientists solve animal evolution mystery
8-17-2017
A sea algae boom has been credited with the rise of the first complex life forms in Earth's distant past.
Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama