Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Cairo sees snow for first time in 112 years

Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2013 | Comment icon 25 comments

It is extremely unusual to see snow in Cairo. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Emmanuel Boutet
Abnormal weather across the Middle-East has seen snow in some regions for the first time in decades.
Cairo is traditionally associated with sweltering hot conditions and a sandy desert landscape, but Egyptians waking up in the capital this week were in for a surprise when unusual weather conditions meant that the city had been blanketed in thick snow for the first time in 112 years.

Stunned locals walked out of their homes to be greeted with snow-covered streets and sand dunes, prompting a Twitter frenzy as people took photographs and posted them online. Some, such as a photograph of a camel surrounded by a blanket of white, emphasized the unusual nature of the situation. For many who had never traveled abroad it was the first time they had ever seen snow.

The freak weather hasn't been limited to Egypt either, elsewhere in the region countries such as Syria, Israel and Turkey have also been experiencing heavy snowstorms and freezing temperatures.

Source: Mirror | Comments (25)

Tags: Egypt, Cairo, Snow

Comment icon #16 Posted by avs76 on 15 December, 2013, 23:02
Ginger, thanks for your post and your point of view. I admit I do not have formal education in any kind of environmental sciences, especially those specifically pertaining to the global warming or climate change phenomenon. I would suggest that the vast majority of people don't have any formal education on the topic, even in "educated" western society. This doesn't mean that we can't form some kind of opinion on the topic. On the contrary, I think that lay people should form an opinion, and quickly, so they can take appropriate action to halt the current trend of global warming. I'm sure you w... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Controller Junkie on 16 December, 2013, 0:03
I listened to a dude on coast to coast last week talking of an impending Ice age, Im sure he will use this strange weather incident to boast on his theory, and to negate global warming theory. Basically if you can think of it theres a theory, suprised theres not a "climate Same" theory saying oh well the climate has been to much of the same for too long, because of this an impending disaster is unavoidable. Personally I think its all abit silly, I mean i have tried to decrease my carbon footprint, nothing to to with global warming, if you put poisions into any thing it cant be good. Seriously,... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by ShadowSot on 16 December, 2013, 0:14
My point of view? I am divided. "Experts" tell us the planet the planet is warming due due increased pollution. This makes sense even to an "uneducated" people like me. But then I see crazy things like snow in Cairo and I question the global warming warnings. Then warming supporters argue that increasingly crazy weather patterns may be an indicator of global warming. But then I read that it snowed there 112 years ago. See how little old me can get confused? The thing to understand is that what is happening is human activity is driving climate change,this climate change includes wider extremes ... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Rhinopolis on 16 December, 2013, 16:06
Comment icon #20 Posted by ShadowSot on 16 December, 2013, 18:57
Science is a process of gathering relevant information in order to prove a hypothesis. This jury is still out on man made climate change, until a trusted source provides more consistent and conclusive data. Skepticism is good for everyone, and IMO we need to be skeptical of a grand unifying global government body who presents information with the impetus that more governmental control is necessary in order to avert a calamity. As a global people we can't seem to agree on much of anything, but we're supposed to buy into global warming? Not me and not yet. Man made climate change is accepted by ... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by BiffSplitkins on 16 December, 2013, 19:08
I'm hoping for snow in SouthTown this year too.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Rhinopolis on 17 December, 2013, 12:32
Man made climate change is accepted by over 90% of climate scientists. The jury is still out only among politicians and the general public. I need to research how climate scientist are able to accept that actions by man have caused the climate to change. Obviously I am no climate scientist, but if such conclusive evidence exist to sway 90% of a a group of specialist then one would have to believe that the data is overwhelming.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Rhinopolis on 17 December, 2013, 12:43
Comment icon #24 Posted by ShadowSot on 17 December, 2013, 19:36
Because I am interested in educating myself and not in being "right", I am going to start here. http://theconsensusproject.com Please suggest other sources that I can begin to learn from as well. Thank you, Ryan The links section of the website provides several papers that establish the consensus on climate change. The NCSE website also has a good deal of information on the problem. http://ncse.com/climate
Comment icon #25 Posted by Anton25 on 18 December, 2013, 10:50
It snowed for a few minutes when i went jamaica in 1995.. Never snows ther

Police helicopter films UFO on thermal camera
9-27-2016
Thermal footage of a strange object flying over the Bristol Channel in the UK has been uploaded online.
Melting glaciers could expose Cold War base
9-27-2016
A secret US facility hidden beneath the ice is believed to contain significant amounts of nuclear waste.
NASA has discovered water plumes on Europa
9-27-2016
The find could make it much easier to search for evidence of extraterrestrial life in Europa's oceans.
Company creates huge clock out of 14 trucks
9-26-2016
The massive 750,000 square-foot timepiece was run for a whole 24 hours using an army of large lorries.
Elephants unite
Posted 9-27-2016 | 0 comments
Two elephant families decide to join together on the plains of Africa in this BBC wildlife clip.

Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Meet the human torch
Posted 9-24-2016 | 0 comments
Josef Toedtling from Austria has made a successful career out of setting himself on fire.

Real plutonium
Posted 9-23-2016 | 0 comments
A rare look at some of the different plutonium compounds stored at the National Nuclear Laboratory.

Black magic
9-27-2016 | Mineral Wells, Texas

Crying mother
9-27-2016 | Centrol Mexico

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL