Saturday, December 16, 2017

Cairo sees snow for first time in 112 years

Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2013 | Comment icon 25 comments

It is extremely unusual to see snow in Cairo. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Emmanuel Boutet
Abnormal weather across the Middle-East has seen snow in some regions for the first time in decades.
Cairo is traditionally associated with sweltering hot conditions and a sandy desert landscape, but Egyptians waking up in the capital this week were in for a surprise when unusual weather conditions meant that the city had been blanketed in thick snow for the first time in 112 years.

Stunned locals walked out of their homes to be greeted with snow-covered streets and sand dunes, prompting a Twitter frenzy as people took photographs and posted them online. Some, such as a photograph of a camel surrounded by a blanket of white, emphasized the unusual nature of the situation. For many who had never traveled abroad it was the first time they had ever seen snow.

The freak weather hasn't been limited to Egypt either, elsewhere in the region countries such as Syria, Israel and Turkey have also been experiencing heavy snowstorms and freezing temperatures.

Source: Mirror | Comments (25)

Tags: Egypt, Cairo, Snow

Comment icon #16 Posted by avs76 on 15 December, 2013, 23:02
Ginger, thanks for your post and your point of view. I admit I do not have formal education in any kind of environmental sciences, especially those specifically pertaining to the global warming or climate change phenomenon. I would suggest that the vast majority of people don't have any formal education on the topic, even in "educated" western society. This doesn't mean that we can't form some kind of opinion on the topic. On the contrary, I think that lay people should form an opinion, and quickly, so they can take appropriate action to halt the current trend of global warming. I'm sure you w... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Controller Junkie on 16 December, 2013, 0:03
I listened to a dude on coast to coast last week talking of an impending Ice age, Im sure he will use this strange weather incident to boast on his theory, and to negate global warming theory. Basically if you can think of it theres a theory, suprised theres not a "climate Same" theory saying oh well the climate has been to much of the same for too long, because of this an impending disaster is unavoidable. Personally I think its all abit silly, I mean i have tried to decrease my carbon footprint, nothing to to with global warming, if you put poisions into any thing it cant be good. Seriously,... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by ShadowSot on 16 December, 2013, 0:14
My point of view? I am divided. "Experts" tell us the planet the planet is warming due due increased pollution. This makes sense even to an "uneducated" people like me. But then I see crazy things like snow in Cairo and I question the global warming warnings. Then warming supporters argue that increasingly crazy weather patterns may be an indicator of global warming. But then I read that it snowed there 112 years ago. See how little old me can get confused? The thing to understand is that what is happening is human activity is driving climate change,this climate change includes wider extremes ... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Rhinopolis on 16 December, 2013, 16:06
Comment icon #20 Posted by ShadowSot on 16 December, 2013, 18:57
Science is a process of gathering relevant information in order to prove a hypothesis. This jury is still out on man made climate change, until a trusted source provides more consistent and conclusive data. Skepticism is good for everyone, and IMO we need to be skeptical of a grand unifying global government body who presents information with the impetus that more governmental control is necessary in order to avert a calamity. As a global people we can't seem to agree on much of anything, but we're supposed to buy into global warming? Not me and not yet. Man made climate change is accepted by ... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by BiffSplitkins on 16 December, 2013, 19:08
I'm hoping for snow in SouthTown this year too.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Rhinopolis on 17 December, 2013, 12:32
Man made climate change is accepted by over 90% of climate scientists. The jury is still out only among politicians and the general public. I need to research how climate scientist are able to accept that actions by man have caused the climate to change. Obviously I am no climate scientist, but if such conclusive evidence exist to sway 90% of a a group of specialist then one would have to believe that the data is overwhelming.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Rhinopolis on 17 December, 2013, 12:43
Comment icon #24 Posted by ShadowSot on 17 December, 2013, 19:36
Because I am interested in educating myself and not in being "right", I am going to start here. http://theconsensusproject.com Please suggest other sources that I can begin to learn from as well. Thank you, Ryan The links section of the website provides several papers that establish the consensus on climate change. The NCSE website also has a good deal of information on the problem. http://ncse.com/climate
Comment icon #25 Posted by Anton25 on 18 December, 2013, 10:50
It snowed for a few minutes when i went jamaica in 1995.. Never snows ther

Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Where did nativity animals come from?
  A Real Time Connection with God
  About hell
 Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon
  The best evidence for UFOs
  How to deal with gullible believers?
  Oumuamua
Glowing trees could replace street lights
12-16-2017
By embedding nanoparticles in leaves, scientists at MIT have created plants that glow in the dark.
Hurricane Harvey dropped 127bn tons of rain
12-15-2017
Scientists have managed to weigh how much water fell on Texas during the hurricane back in August.
Man spontaneously combusts on London street
12-15-2017
Police are appealing for information after a pensioner inexplicably burst in to flames in broad daylight.
Undersea Internet cables 'at risk of attack'
12-15-2017
The head of Britain's armed forces has warned that an attack on undersea cables could be 'catastrophic'.
Slow motion wrecking ball
Posted 12-16-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys record the destruction of a vehicle using a 9000lb wrecking ball.

Einstein's brain
Posted 12-13-2017 | 0 comments
After he died, legendary physicist Albert Einstein's brain was preserved for study.

Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 0 comments
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom