Monday, February 27, 2017

Cairo sees snow for first time in 112 years

Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2013 | Comment icon 25 comments

It is extremely unusual to see snow in Cairo. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Emmanuel Boutet
Abnormal weather across the Middle-East has seen snow in some regions for the first time in decades.
Cairo is traditionally associated with sweltering hot conditions and a sandy desert landscape, but Egyptians waking up in the capital this week were in for a surprise when unusual weather conditions meant that the city had been blanketed in thick snow for the first time in 112 years.

Stunned locals walked out of their homes to be greeted with snow-covered streets and sand dunes, prompting a Twitter frenzy as people took photographs and posted them online. Some, such as a photograph of a camel surrounded by a blanket of white, emphasized the unusual nature of the situation. For many who had never traveled abroad it was the first time they had ever seen snow.

The freak weather hasn't been limited to Egypt either, elsewhere in the region countries such as Syria, Israel and Turkey have also been experiencing heavy snowstorms and freezing temperatures.

Source: Mirror | Comments (25)

Tags: Egypt, Cairo, Snow

Comment icon #16 Posted by avs76 on 15 December, 2013, 23:02
Ginger, thanks for your post and your point of view. I admit I do not have formal education in any kind of environmental sciences, especially those specifically pertaining to the global warming or climate change phenomenon. I would suggest that the vast majority of people don't have any formal education on the topic, even in "educated" western society. This doesn't mean that we can't form some kind of opinion on the topic. On the contrary, I think that lay people should form an opinion, and quickly, so they can take appropriate action to halt the current trend of global warming. I'm sure you w... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Controller Junkie on 16 December, 2013, 0:03
I listened to a dude on coast to coast last week talking of an impending Ice age, Im sure he will use this strange weather incident to boast on his theory, and to negate global warming theory. Basically if you can think of it theres a theory, suprised theres not a "climate Same" theory saying oh well the climate has been to much of the same for too long, because of this an impending disaster is unavoidable. Personally I think its all abit silly, I mean i have tried to decrease my carbon footprint, nothing to to with global warming, if you put poisions into any thing it cant be good. Seriously,... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by ShadowSot on 16 December, 2013, 0:14
My point of view? I am divided. "Experts" tell us the planet the planet is warming due due increased pollution. This makes sense even to an "uneducated" people like me. But then I see crazy things like snow in Cairo and I question the global warming warnings. Then warming supporters argue that increasingly crazy weather patterns may be an indicator of global warming. But then I read that it snowed there 112 years ago. See how little old me can get confused? The thing to understand is that what is happening is human activity is driving climate change,this climate change includes wider extremes ... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Rhinopolis on 16 December, 2013, 16:06
Comment icon #20 Posted by ShadowSot on 16 December, 2013, 18:57
Science is a process of gathering relevant information in order to prove a hypothesis. This jury is still out on man made climate change, until a trusted source provides more consistent and conclusive data. Skepticism is good for everyone, and IMO we need to be skeptical of a grand unifying global government body who presents information with the impetus that more governmental control is necessary in order to avert a calamity. As a global people we can't seem to agree on much of anything, but we're supposed to buy into global warming? Not me and not yet. Man made climate change is accepted by ... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by BiffSplitkins on 16 December, 2013, 19:08
I'm hoping for snow in SouthTown this year too.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Rhinopolis on 17 December, 2013, 12:32
Man made climate change is accepted by over 90% of climate scientists. The jury is still out only among politicians and the general public. I need to research how climate scientist are able to accept that actions by man have caused the climate to change. Obviously I am no climate scientist, but if such conclusive evidence exist to sway 90% of a a group of specialist then one would have to believe that the data is overwhelming.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Rhinopolis on 17 December, 2013, 12:43
Comment icon #24 Posted by ShadowSot on 17 December, 2013, 19:36
Because I am interested in educating myself and not in being "right", I am going to start here. http://theconsensusproject.com Please suggest other sources that I can begin to learn from as well. Thank you, Ryan The links section of the website provides several papers that establish the consensus on climate change. The NCSE website also has a good deal of information on the problem. http://ncse.com/climate
Comment icon #25 Posted by Anton25 on 18 December, 2013, 10:50
It snowed for a few minutes when i went jamaica in 1995.. Never snows ther

Fossil of ancient giant penguin unearthed
2-27-2017
This newly described species of penguin is thought to have walked the Earth over 60 million years ago.
Half of all species could disappear by 2100
2-27-2017
Biologists have warned that up to a half of all species could be wiped out by the end of the century.
Hot springs holds 'hair freezing' competition
2-26-2017
Every year, visitors to the Takhini Hot Springs in Yukon are challenged to freeze their hair and brows.
Pollution can outweigh benefits of exercise
2-26-2017
In some of the world's most polluted cities, exercising outside can actually do more harm than good.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
A look at the world's biggest spider
Posted 2-27-2017 | 1 comment
Jules Sylvester has a close-up look at the truly gargantuan goliath bird-eating spider.

Exploding batteries in slow motion
Posted 2-26-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return, this time with a slow motion recording of exploding batteries.

Crushing cans
Posted 2-25-2017 | 3 comments
Muhammad Rashid from Pakistan crushes 77 cans with his elbow within one minute.

Is time real ?
Posted 2-24-2017 | 0 comments
Bill Nye talks about the concept of time and how our subjective perceptions of it can change.

Is it possible to re-freeze the Arctic ?
Posted 2-23-2017 | 1 comment
Scientists have proposed a rather unorthodox solution to the problems caused by climate change.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.