Saturday, May 28, 2016

Divers uncover relics of Stone Age 'Atlantis'

Posted on Tuesday, 28 January, 2014 | Comment icon 23 comments

The discovery was made in the Baltic Sea. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Harald Hoyer
Stone Age artifacts left behind by Swedish nomads have been unearthed on the floor of the Baltic Sea.
Divers exploring the bay of Hanö off the coast of Sweden have uncovered a treasure trove of artifacts dating back more than 11,000 years. Made from both stone and bone fragments, the items exhibit impressive levels of preservation thanks to the lack of oxygen and abundance of peat-based sediment on the ocean floor.

"What we have here is maybe one of the oldest settlements from the first more permanent sites in Scania and in Sweden full stop," said Professor Björn Nilsson who lead the project. Among the finds was a harpoon carved from animal bone, flint tools, rope, horns and other items that had once been discarded in to the water.

"Around 11,000 years ago there was a build up in the area, a lagoon or sorts... and all the tree and bone pieces are preserved in it," said Nilsson. "If the settlement was on dry land we would only have the stone-based things, nothing organic."

Source: Thelocal.se | Comments (23)

Tags: Baltic, Sweden, Stone Age

Comment icon #14 Posted by Ryinrea on 29 January, 2014, 12:11
I hate that too it's aynoing. I am excited by this find even thought they were probaly nomadic tribes in the area at that time. Stone Age people were nomadic not city dwellers like us as such we shouldn't say they were city dwellers just saying. Althought I like the story of Alantis
Comment icon #15 Posted by jaylemurph on 30 January, 2014, 2:41
Luce was a classicist, /not/ an historian. Mainly, it's the classicists themselves who go out of their way to make the distinction: they generally seem dead set on retaining archaic and exclusivising critical methods (like using German for commentaries -- although they're relenting on this -- and refusing to translate quotations in their articles into vernacular) and apparatus (You need guide books just to crack the code of their journal title references or the give name of texts. I spent a merry hour trying to figure what the hell the Eytm. Gud. was in December), so historians are h... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by kmt_sesh on 30 January, 2014, 3:12
I'm not familiar with Luce so I looked into him, and he seems like the real deal—a well-published classicist. I'll depart from my esteemed colleague jaylemurph (who knows his stuff, trust me) in saying that a professionally educated classicist is wellI equipped to dissect Plato's story, due to Plato himself, his motives behind crafting the story, and the events of Plato's own time. From my own experience with jaylemurph I can say he's more familiar with classicist methodology than I am, but I'm willing to allow Luce as a credible source. I may have misinterprete... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by OliverDSmith on 30 January, 2014, 4:48
Also Desmond Lee, but Luce is better known. I think there is some confusion regarding the schools of thought on Atlantis. Castledon I consider a proponent of a historical Atlantis. Those that argue Atlantis has some historical basis or a kernel of truth, I label "euhemerist", but this should not be confused with textual literalism (the view everything Plato describes is factual). "If the fantasists described earlier can be described as ‘literalists’, then these last scholars can be called the ‘Euhemerists’ party, because they hold that there must be s... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by OliverDSmith on 30 January, 2014, 5:21
Well Atlantis falls under the study of classical civilization. Quoting a classicist is clearly more relevant than a general historian. There are prominent classicists who argue or have argued (in the case of Luce) that Atlantis was a real place. That was the only point I made. These people cannot be dismissed easily. The case for a historical Atlantis is actually stronger than the fiction view when you consider Solon and Critias considered it to be "true history" which Socrates does not even question in the dialogues. Luce (1978) also argues Plato himself believed Atlantis was real... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by jaylemurph on 30 January, 2014, 5:26
I certainly wouldn't go that far. I would say a Classicist could well dissect the story as is, i. e., almost solely within the works of Plato. A Classicist would have the necessary profound knowledge of language and culture to discuss that story as it relates to Greco-Roman society. However, outside of the story in Plato, as a historical reality, the Atlantean civilization, if it existed at all, would be by definition out of the remit of a post-Winckelmann Classical scholar -- i. e., not a Greco-Roman one. Indeed, as it has not left one letter of writing, it would be out of the remit of ... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by jaylemurph on 30 January, 2014, 5:33
Solon and Critias are /reported/ to have considered it to be "true history". To my knowledge, there's nothing definitively ascribable to them -- or indeed, Socrates -- to corroborate your statements. Everything comes through the filtre of Plato, and it's naive to suggest he was innocently passing on information with no agenda of his own. Also, to suggest Plato thought it to be a literally real place, you have to argue against his own statements -- do ask Harte about those -- and the logic of the extended metaphor present in the dialogues where Atlantis is presented. But hav... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by kmt_sesh on 31 January, 2014, 4:01
I've been schooled. Allow me to reiterate my point that someone like Luce would have a good understanding of probably why Plato wrote the story in the first place, given his time and place and the recent history of Athens. But I agree a classicist would not be well equipped to delve into history much more ancient than that. I was merely giving Luce credit for positing that the Thera eruption may have somehow worked itself into Plato's story as a source of inspiration, a theory embraced by many scholars through time. I don't know if Luce takes it farther than that so I should refr... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Harte on 1 February, 2014, 10:57
"Ask Harte...?" Oh, sure. Lay it on me. I suggest the search function. I'm quite tired of this line of "reasoning" myself. If you get to use that excuse, so do I. Harte

Government study finds cellphone-cancer link
5-27-2016
The findings suggest that exposure to cellphone radiation may cause brain and heart cancers in rats.
Giant squid may grow larger than a school bus
5-27-2016
A new study has suggested that giant squid may actually grow to be much larger than previously believed.
Aristotle's lost tomb has finally been found
5-26-2016
The long-sought final resting place of the Greek philosopher has been unearthed at a site in Macedonia.
New optical clock is most accurate ever built
5-26-2016
Scientists have come up with a clock so accurate that it could even redefine the length of a second.
Seeking new antibiotics under the sea
Posted 5-27-2016 | 2 comments
Scientists are seeking new treatments for antibiotic-resistant infections beneath the waves.

World's first mile-long pizza
Posted 5-26-2016 | 1 comment
Italian chefs have produced a single gigantic pizza that stretches for an entire mile.

What happened before the Big Bang ?
Posted 5-22-2016 | 4 comments
Is it possible to find out what took place before our universe came in to existence ?

Prehistoric creatures that still exist
Posted 5-21-2016 | 1 comment
A look at some remarkable animal species that have survived for millions of years.

Why do we have 10 fingers and 10 toes ?
Posted 5-20-2016 | 2 comments
What is the reason that we happen to have exactly 10 fingers and toes ? Why that number ?

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas