Monday, August 21, 2017

Gladiator school unearthed in Austria

Posted on Thursday, 27 February, 2014 | Comment icon 14 comments

Gladiators fought to the death in the Colosseum. Image Credit: Jean-Leon Gerome
Archaeologists have uncovered the first gladiator training facility to be found outside of Rome.
The remains of the school were found hidden underneath a pasture near Carnuntum in eastern Austria and are now helping researchers understand what life might have been like for those unfortunate enough to have lived there.

"It was a prison; they were prisoners," said archaeologist Wolfgang Neubauer. "They lived in cells, in a fortress with only one gate out."

The school was believed to have been home to up to 80 gladiators who lived in a large two-story facility and trained in a central courtyard. Despite being unable to leave, the men would have enjoyed at least some luxuries courtesy of Roman engineering such as hot baths and heated floors to enable training during the wintertime.

"The find at Carnuntum gives us a vivid impression of what it was like to live and train as a gladiator on the chilly northern border of the Roman Empire," said gladiator expert Kathleen Coleman.

Source: National Geographic | Comments (14)

Tags: Gladiator, Rome

Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin on 27 February, 2014, 17:00
Comment icon #6 Posted by Likely Guy on 27 February, 2014, 17:19
I thought that a training school was found in Britain a few years back.
Comment icon #7 Posted by ancient astronaut on 27 February, 2014, 22:04
I thought that a training school was found in Britain a few years back. I believe you are correct, I remember reading that as well.Did the find Maximus's remains?
Comment icon #8 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 28 February, 2014, 17:23
I'm more amazed by the fact it was found in Austria... But it kind of explains Arnold Schwarzenegger's lineage.
Comment icon #9 Posted by coolguy on 1 March, 2014, 5:13
Very cool find, did they find weapons
Comment icon #10 Posted by Peter B on 1 March, 2014, 9:22
Wow. Interesting read. I had no idea that there were some "training schools" outside of Rome. As far as my (limited) knowledge goes, gladiatorial combat was the entertainment of choice of people across the Roman Empire, not just those lucky enough to live in the Eternal City. As it wouldn't be practical to train gladiators in Rome and export them across the Empire, it makes sense that there'd be schools across the Empire too. Also, don't forget that the gladiator school Spartacus broke out of was in southern Italy, not Rome.
Comment icon #11 Posted by ambelamba on 1 March, 2014, 14:49
I think Roman Empire was whole lot more vast and organized than I thought...
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 1 March, 2014, 22:43
Comment icon #13 Posted by Peter B on 1 March, 2014, 23:55
am I the only one who repeatedly reads that title as "Gladiator school unearthed in Australia"? No. :-)
Comment icon #14 Posted by Peter B on 1 March, 2014, 23:58
I think Roman Empire was whole lot more vast and organized than I thought... Obviously I don't know how organised and vast you thought it was, but consider that in the 2nd century, at the Empire's peak, it probably had a population around 50 million, with Rome containing close to one million of them. At the time it had an army of 25-30 legions, each of 5000 legionaries and 5000 miscellaneous auxiliary troops, a total of about 250,000 soldiers.

Man has a live gecko removed from his ear
8-20-2017
A man in China got the surprise of his life after visiting the doctor with severe pain in his ear.
Three-mile-wide asteroid to pass by the Earth
8-20-2017
The huge space rock is due to pass within a safe distance of our planet at the beginning of September.
USS Indianapolis wreck found 70 years on
8-20-2017
The wreckage of a cruiser sank by a Japanese submarine 70 years ago has finally been discovered.
'Apocalyptic' cloud hangs over town in Brazil
8-19-2017
Residents of Teixeira de Freitas were treated to a rather unusual and unnerving spectacle this week.
The napkin ring problem
Posted 8-20-2017 | 0 comments
Why is it that any two 'napkin rings' cut from any sizes of spherical object will have equal volume ?

Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia