Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Scientists probe out-of-body experiences

Posted on Saturday, 8 March, 2014 | Comment icon 30 comments

Is astral projection real ? Image Credit: CC 2.0 Andrew Mason
For the first time a brain scan has revealed what happens when someone is undertaking an 'astral trip'.
Reports of people 'projecting' from their physical selves and being able to view their own body while floating above it have persisted for years, both as part of near-death experiences and through self-initiated 'astral projection' techniques.

While the scientific community at large tends to regard such claims with a significant degree of skepticism, Andra M. Smith and Claude Messierwere from the University of Ottawa decided to conduct their own experiment when they came across a woman who claimed that she could initiate an out-of-body experience at will.

"She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body, lying flat, and rolling along with the horizontal plane," they wrote. "She reported sometimes watching herself move from above but remained aware of her unmoving "real" body."

To learn more about what was happening during these experiences the researchers used an MRI machine to observe her brain while she was projecting. What they found was that the parts of her brain involved in perceiving her physical location and imagining movement appeared to become activated during her experiences.

"The existence of such a case and its presentation raises the possibility that this phenomenon may have a significant incidence but unreported because people do not think this is exceptional," the researchers wrote. "Alternatively, the ability might be present in infancy but is lost without regular practice."

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (30)

Tags: OBE, Astral

Comment icon #21 Posted by Kazahel on 10 March, 2014, 6:13
A simple expierment can validate or disprove this, get someone to read what is written on a piece of paper in an an unreachable place in the room, or one next to it. Com on, would someone do this already!? I beleive it was done once, but only with one person, so and apperently the person was able to read the numbers, but the paper was in a reachable place, so I'm doubful. Needs to be replicated. I've tried astral projecting so many times with no success, would love for it to be real, but I just want the truth. I think you might be talking about this mysterious Miss Z(Charles tart)?. If you act... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Jack_of_Blades on 12 March, 2014, 0:02
Very cool. I've been lucky enough to have a couple powerful OBE's. They can really shake you up and make you see your beliefs from previously unimaginable positions. One when I was thirteen made me start studying the great philosophers and resulted in me becoming agnostic. They really are impossible to explain to someone who hasn't had one. I personally believe it's all self-contained within your mind, but still the power they can have is astonishing. And I think it's down-right criminal that more scientific studies haven't been done on the matter.
Comment icon #23 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 March, 2014, 1:08
i assert that the OOB condition is real. that consciousness can and does frequently leave the physical body. Conscious awareness of the condition can be achieved through a simple suggestion to self before sleep "i'd like to leave my body and maintain consciousness". Try it for 30 days. There's an amazing reality, just 'outside' of this reality. You'll know the difference when it happens, and it's not a dream.
Comment icon #24 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 March, 2014, 1:13
I had one once. The amount of detail you can see is more like being awake than any dream is. Real or not it's certainly a unique experience when you have one. I could even feel things behind the wall, I could feel nails and insulation and even the brick on the other side. I could sense pressure and feel texture but no pain and nearly 20 years later can still recall every detail like it happened yesterday. I slammed pretty hard back into my body and it jerked me awake, kinda similar fashion to if you experience sleep paralysis. I had a few Lucid dreams over the years but even those didn't have ... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by wayne a vanpatten on 26 March, 2014, 10:21
Comment icon #26 Posted by SolarPlexus on 27 March, 2014, 0:33
And everyone said those military psiops were a waste of time! is that mighty boosh?[

Entire family of mammoths goes on sale
11-21-2017
The skeletons, which include a one-year-old baby, were discovered by builders in Siberia 15 years ago.
Mystery still surrounds UFO over Oregon
11-21-2017
Back in October, aviation authorities investigated an unidentified aircraft flying over the West Coast.
Interstellar visitor is red and very dark
11-21-2017
An asteroid thought to have come from interstellar space is carrying organic carbon-based molecules.
Could dust have carried alien life to Earth ?
11-20-2017
Scientists believe that interstellar dust streams might be able to transfer organisms between planets.
What do we know of the giant squid ?
Posted 11-20-2017 | 1 comment
The giant squid is so elusive that it took until 2004 for someone to photograph a live specimen.

Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Caving claustrophobia
Posted 11-10-2017 | 12 comments
A montage of shots from caving in some of the most cramped conditions on Earth.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia