Friday, February 24, 2017

Scientists probe out-of-body experiences

Posted on Saturday, 8 March, 2014 | Comment icon 30 comments

Is astral projection real ? Image Credit: CC 2.0 Andrew Mason
For the first time a brain scan has revealed what happens when someone is undertaking an 'astral trip'.
Reports of people 'projecting' from their physical selves and being able to view their own body while floating above it have persisted for years, both as part of near-death experiences and through self-initiated 'astral projection' techniques.

While the scientific community at large tends to regard such claims with a significant degree of skepticism, Andra M. Smith and Claude Messierwere from the University of Ottawa decided to conduct their own experiment when they came across a woman who claimed that she could initiate an out-of-body experience at will.

"She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body, lying flat, and rolling along with the horizontal plane," they wrote. "She reported sometimes watching herself move from above but remained aware of her unmoving "real" body."

To learn more about what was happening during these experiences the researchers used an MRI machine to observe her brain while she was projecting. What they found was that the parts of her brain involved in perceiving her physical location and imagining movement appeared to become activated during her experiences.

"The existence of such a case and its presentation raises the possibility that this phenomenon may have a significant incidence but unreported because people do not think this is exceptional," the researchers wrote. "Alternatively, the ability might be present in infancy but is lost without regular practice."

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (30)

Tags: OBE, Astral

Comment icon #21 Posted by Kazahel on 10 March, 2014, 6:13
A simple expierment can validate or disprove this, get someone to read what is written on a piece of paper in an an unreachable place in the room, or one next to it. Com on, would someone do this already!? I beleive it was done once, but only with one person, so and apperently the person was able to read the numbers, but the paper was in a reachable place, so I'm doubful. Needs to be replicated. I've tried astral projecting so many times with no success, would love for it to be real, but I just want the truth. I think you might be talking about this mysterious Miss Z(Charles tart)?. If you act... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Jack_of_Blades on 12 March, 2014, 0:02
Very cool. I've been lucky enough to have a couple powerful OBE's. They can really shake you up and make you see your beliefs from previously unimaginable positions. One when I was thirteen made me start studying the great philosophers and resulted in me becoming agnostic. They really are impossible to explain to someone who hasn't had one. I personally believe it's all self-contained within your mind, but still the power they can have is astonishing. And I think it's down-right criminal that more scientific studies haven't been done on the matter.
Comment icon #23 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 March, 2014, 1:08
i assert that the OOB condition is real. that consciousness can and does frequently leave the physical body. Conscious awareness of the condition can be achieved through a simple suggestion to self before sleep "i'd like to leave my body and maintain consciousness". Try it for 30 days. There's an amazing reality, just 'outside' of this reality. You'll know the difference when it happens, and it's not a dream.
Comment icon #24 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 March, 2014, 1:13
I had one once. The amount of detail you can see is more like being awake than any dream is. Real or not it's certainly a unique experience when you have one. I could even feel things behind the wall, I could feel nails and insulation and even the brick on the other side. I could sense pressure and feel texture but no pain and nearly 20 years later can still recall every detail like it happened yesterday. I slammed pretty hard back into my body and it jerked me awake, kinda similar fashion to if you experience sleep paralysis. I had a few Lucid dreams over the years but even those didn't have ... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by wayne a vanpatten on 26 March, 2014, 10:21
Comment icon #26 Posted by SolarPlexus on 27 March, 2014, 0:33
And everyone said those military psiops were a waste of time! is that mighty boosh?[
Comment icon #27 Posted by arush kapila on 21 August, 2014, 10:18
A
Comment icon #28 Posted by arush kapila on 21 August, 2014, 10:56
A
Comment icon #29 Posted by arush kapila on 21 August, 2014, 11:02
but out of body experience is the part of brain........................... Because when we are in astral project................... We have a maximum mind power........using full access of conscious mind and subconsious mind................in our thinking process we get use of imagination of subconscious mind .....but not a clear conscious mind.............but out of body experience is a state when we can use all the senses with the use of subconsious mind ......means imagination......and get a clearest and comfortable use of conscious mind...........so we assume that we really put our soul ou... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by arush kapila on 21 August, 2014, 15:22
Many peoples have tried this astral projection ..................BUT SOME ARE FAILED TO DO ..............Because they can,t able to find that how they have to imagine ...........they don,t able to know inside how to concentrate on breathe.........BUT I GIVE IF SUGGESTION ...................If they are very very VERY EXited for astral projection ...........they have to learn how to imagagine............if u r thinking .....see in the dark of eyes..and doing tricks with their breathing they failed to do...........they have to imagine OUTSIDE...NOT INSIDE... ASTRAL PROJECTION IS A DREAM WITH A US... [More]

Armless woman lights candles using her feet
2-23-2017
Adriana Irene Macias Hernandez has earned a new world record by lighting 11 candles in 60 seconds.
Prehistoric worm with huge jaws discovered
2-23-2017
Scientists have identified a previously unknown species of primordial giant worm with huge snapping jaws.
7 Earth-sized worlds found around nearby star
2-22-2017
NASA has announced the discovery of seven new planets including three within their star's habitable zone.
Scientists finally solve 'ketchup problem'
2-22-2017
It's a question that has puzzled mankind for years - how do you get every drop of sauce out of the bottle?
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Is it possible to re-freeze the Arctic ?
Posted 2-23-2017 | 1 comment
Scientists have proposed a rather unorthodox solution to the problems caused by climate change.

Giant horse conch
Posted 2-22-2017 | 1 comment
A huge conch makes light work of a tulip snail which fails to make its escape.

Water on the Moon
Posted 2-21-2017 | 7 comments
For a long time scientists thought the Moon was bone dry, but as it turns out - it isn't.

'Spider Boy' contortionist
Posted 2-20-2017 | 2 comments
Teenager Mohammed Alsheikh performed 38 full body spins while maintaining a chest stand.

Slow motion football explosion
Posted 2-19-2017 | 0 comments
What happens when you over-inflate a football ? The Slo Mo Guys investigate.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.