Thursday, April 27, 2017

Scientists probe out-of-body experiences

Posted on Saturday, 8 March, 2014 | Comment icon 30 comments

Is astral projection real ? Image Credit: CC 2.0 Andrew Mason
For the first time a brain scan has revealed what happens when someone is undertaking an 'astral trip'.
Reports of people 'projecting' from their physical selves and being able to view their own body while floating above it have persisted for years, both as part of near-death experiences and through self-initiated 'astral projection' techniques.

While the scientific community at large tends to regard such claims with a significant degree of skepticism, Andra M. Smith and Claude Messierwere from the University of Ottawa decided to conduct their own experiment when they came across a woman who claimed that she could initiate an out-of-body experience at will.

"She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body, lying flat, and rolling along with the horizontal plane," they wrote. "She reported sometimes watching herself move from above but remained aware of her unmoving "real" body."

To learn more about what was happening during these experiences the researchers used an MRI machine to observe her brain while she was projecting. What they found was that the parts of her brain involved in perceiving her physical location and imagining movement appeared to become activated during her experiences.

"The existence of such a case and its presentation raises the possibility that this phenomenon may have a significant incidence but unreported because people do not think this is exceptional," the researchers wrote. "Alternatively, the ability might be present in infancy but is lost without regular practice."

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (30)

Tags: OBE, Astral

Comment icon #21 Posted by Kazahel on 10 March, 2014, 6:13
A simple expierment can validate or disprove this, get someone to read what is written on a piece of paper in an an unreachable place in the room, or one next to it. Com on, would someone do this already!? I beleive it was done once, but only with one person, so and apperently the person was able to read the numbers, but the paper was in a reachable place, so I'm doubful. Needs to be replicated. I've tried astral projecting so many times with no success, would love for it to be real, but I just want the truth. I think you might be talking about this mysterious Miss Z(Charles tart)?. If you act... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Jack_of_Blades on 12 March, 2014, 0:02
Very cool. I've been lucky enough to have a couple powerful OBE's. They can really shake you up and make you see your beliefs from previously unimaginable positions. One when I was thirteen made me start studying the great philosophers and resulted in me becoming agnostic. They really are impossible to explain to someone who hasn't had one. I personally believe it's all self-contained within your mind, but still the power they can have is astonishing. And I think it's down-right criminal that more scientific studies haven't been done on the matter.
Comment icon #23 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 March, 2014, 1:08
i assert that the OOB condition is real. that consciousness can and does frequently leave the physical body. Conscious awareness of the condition can be achieved through a simple suggestion to self before sleep "i'd like to leave my body and maintain consciousness". Try it for 30 days. There's an amazing reality, just 'outside' of this reality. You'll know the difference when it happens, and it's not a dream.
Comment icon #24 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 March, 2014, 1:13
I had one once. The amount of detail you can see is more like being awake than any dream is. Real or not it's certainly a unique experience when you have one. I could even feel things behind the wall, I could feel nails and insulation and even the brick on the other side. I could sense pressure and feel texture but no pain and nearly 20 years later can still recall every detail like it happened yesterday. I slammed pretty hard back into my body and it jerked me awake, kinda similar fashion to if you experience sleep paralysis. I had a few Lucid dreams over the years but even those didn't have ... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by wayne a vanpatten on 26 March, 2014, 10:21
Comment icon #26 Posted by SolarPlexus on 27 March, 2014, 0:33
And everyone said those military psiops were a waste of time! is that mighty boosh?[
Comment icon #27 Posted by arush kapila on 21 August, 2014, 10:18
A
Comment icon #28 Posted by arush kapila on 21 August, 2014, 10:56
A
Comment icon #29 Posted by arush kapila on 21 August, 2014, 11:02
but out of body experience is the part of brain........................... Because when we are in astral project................... We have a maximum mind power........using full access of conscious mind and subconsious mind................in our thinking process we get use of imagination of subconscious mind .....but not a clear conscious mind.............but out of body experience is a state when we can use all the senses with the use of subconsious mind ......means imagination......and get a clearest and comfortable use of conscious mind...........so we assume that we really put our soul ou... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by arush kapila on 21 August, 2014, 15:22
Many peoples have tried this astral projection ..................BUT SOME ARE FAILED TO DO ..............Because they can,t able to find that how they have to imagine ...........they don,t able to know inside how to concentrate on breathe.........BUT I GIVE IF SUGGESTION ...................If they are very very VERY EXited for astral projection ...........they have to learn how to imagagine............if u r thinking .....see in the dark of eyes..and doing tricks with their breathing they failed to do...........they have to imagine OUTSIDE...NOT INSIDE... ASTRAL PROJECTION IS A DREAM WITH A US... [More]

Mystery of Antarctica's 'Blood Falls' solved
4-26-2017
Researchers have made a new discovery in relation to one of Antarctica's most unusual natural features.
Cassini begins dive between Saturn's rings
4-26-2017
The dangerous nature of the maneuver has resulted in NASA temporarily losing contact with the spacecraft.
Plastic-eating caterpillar could aid disposal
4-26-2017
A species of caterpillar known to eat wax inside beehives has been found to eat plastic bags as well.
Trump urges NASA to speed up Mars mission
4-25-2017
The US President has stated that he would like to see astronauts visiting Mars before the year 2021.
Lightning seen from space
Posted 4-26-2017 | 0 comments
Astronaut Thomas Pesquet captured this footage from the International Space Station.

Slo Mo Guys Inception
Posted 4-25-2017 | 0 comments
Gav and Dan attempt to recreate a scene from Inception involving a bath of cold water.

Boiling water meets freezing air
Posted 4-24-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what happens when you throw boiling water out in to the freezing Russian winter air.

Cave-dwelling spiders
Posted 4-23-2017 | 3 comments
A new species of spider has been found living in caves and mine shafts in Mexico.

The human bridge of musicality
Posted 4-22-2017 | 1 comment
A look at how the human brain perceives the concept of music and how it is processed.

Is the Boar Man real ?
4-26-2017 | Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Possessed boom box 1988
4-26-2017 | Santa Ana

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles