Sunday, February 26, 2017

Woman stung by bees over 1,000 times

Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2014 | Comment icon 31 comments

The bees can be both aggressive and deadly. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Hola Mundo
A huge swarm of Africanized honey bees attacked an elderly woman and two firefighters in California.
The dangers posed by killer bees were laid bare once again this week when a 71-year-old woman was attacked by a large swarm of the insects after she approached an otherwise innocuous looking Verizon cable box in which they had made their home.

Local firefighters battled to save her from the bees and ended up being stung multiple times themselves as they pulled her to safety. Despite suffering more than 1,000 stings, the woman managed to survive the ordeal and is now recovering in hospital.

"They just went into her car and attacked her, they were mad", said Lance Davis who owns a local extermination company called Killer Bee Inc. "We do these jobs all the time, where someone has gotten the bees all excited. Sometimes it doesn’t take much to get these guys angry."

In total more than 75,000 bees were found to have been living inside the cable box.

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (31)

Tags: Bees

Comment icon #22 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 11 March, 2014, 18:03
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 11 March, 2014, 18:11
You know, something just doesn't seem right. Perhaps an estimated 1000 bee's were swarming her, but, perhaps only got stung by ten or so. After all, each bees dies after stinging(the process rips-out their abdomen) and use the least amount of "stinging" to chase-off the threat yet maintain a healthy defensive colony. 1000 bees stinging seems like "overkill" for the bees. As they will die. I don't know. This just confuses me. Both on the supposed amount of bee stings, and why a colony would do such a massive suicide mission in this type of case. Not to mention the 71-year survived, which is str... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by JGirl on 11 March, 2014, 20:53
Get Well Soon why is it that this woman survived such a major ordeal, and someone somewhere dies from such a little minor incident??? it just wasn't time for her to go yet.
Comment icon #25 Posted by AZDZ on 11 March, 2014, 21:40
I hope she fully recovers. I have had several recent encounters with a bee I feel was actually stalking me. The past week I am sitting on my porch as is usual for me when suddenly this elongated abdomened bee comes swooping down over the eve directly above me aiming for my head. I manage to see it in time and yell and swat at it till it retreats only to attack again a day or so later. Well I got the last word when I armed myself with a bee killing spray and kept it at the ready. His next attack brought him a world of hurt when he got a face full of my wrath. He flew out away from me and I had ... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by JGirl on 12 March, 2014, 2:07
Comment icon #27 Posted by AZDZ on 12 March, 2014, 2:36
Comment icon #28 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 March, 2014, 9:29
I know. True story... I once smashed what appeared to be a spider crawling up my headboard but when I turned on the light to find and remove the corpse, nothing ,nada, zilch. 'Must a been a ghost', I thought. Couple days later I got a mysterious bite on my collar bone. A large knot grew which took a few weeks to go down but then, I developed Frozen Shoulder on that side, which I am only now recovering from. I guess i didn't learn my lesson. Somewhere nearby a hive is drawing its plans against me. The Frozen Shoulder may have been you body slowly changing... Have you started to developed spider... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by AZDZ on 12 March, 2014, 17:37
I wish. Familiar with FS, are you? Endured many painful things in my life but, man, that took the cake. Aging could be the reason but there was a little more to the story than I went into detail about above. The pain at the bite area seemed to flow or creep slowly towards my shoulder as if being swept in that direction and after FZ set in I continued to feel the same pain slowly progressing down my bicep (which made my FS therapy even worse.) The venom had weakened signifacantly by the time it reached my elbow but not enough to add more discomfort to my day to day. When it reached my wrist it ... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 March, 2014, 17:53
Comment icon #31 Posted by JGirl on 14 March, 2014, 2:54
The Frozen Shoulder may have been you body slowly changing... Have you started to developed spider like abilities since obtaining this mysterious spider bite, like being able to climb walls, super human strength, shoot webs from your wrists and the uncanny ability to sense danger? !!

Pollution can outweigh benefits of exercise
2-26-2017
In some of the world's most polluted cities, exercising outside can actually do more harm than good.
Group of kids scared by 'goblin' in Argentina
2-26-2017
Bizarre footage posted online recently shows a mysterious assailant crawling towards some youths.
Desert people evolve to drink poisonous water
2-25-2017
The local people of Chile's Atacama desert have developed the ability to drink water laced with arsenic.
Astronauts could fly around the Moon by 2019
2-25-2017
NASA is considering whether to send a crew on its first integrated Orion, SLS flight around the Moon.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Exploding batteries in slow motion
Posted 2-26-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return, this time with a slow motion recording of exploding batteries.

Crushing cans
Posted 2-25-2017 | 3 comments
Muhammad Rashid from Pakistan crushes 77 cans with his elbow within one minute.

Is time real ?
Posted 2-24-2017 | 0 comments
Bill Nye talks about the concept of time and how our subjective perceptions of it can change.

Is it possible to re-freeze the Arctic ?
Posted 2-23-2017 | 1 comment
Scientists have proposed a rather unorthodox solution to the problems caused by climate change.

Giant horse conch
Posted 2-22-2017 | 1 comment
A huge conch makes light work of a tulip snail which fails to make its escape.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.