Thursday, January 19, 2017

Woman stung by bees over 1,000 times

Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2014 | Comment icon 31 comments

The bees can be both aggressive and deadly. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Hola Mundo
A huge swarm of Africanized honey bees attacked an elderly woman and two firefighters in California.
The dangers posed by killer bees were laid bare once again this week when a 71-year-old woman was attacked by a large swarm of the insects after she approached an otherwise innocuous looking Verizon cable box in which they had made their home.

Local firefighters battled to save her from the bees and ended up being stung multiple times themselves as they pulled her to safety. Despite suffering more than 1,000 stings, the woman managed to survive the ordeal and is now recovering in hospital.

"They just went into her car and attacked her, they were mad", said Lance Davis who owns a local extermination company called Killer Bee Inc. "We do these jobs all the time, where someone has gotten the bees all excited. Sometimes it doesn’t take much to get these guys angry."

In total more than 75,000 bees were found to have been living inside the cable box.

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (31)

Tags: Bees

Comment icon #22 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 11 March, 2014, 18:03
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 11 March, 2014, 18:11
You know, something just doesn't seem right. Perhaps an estimated 1000 bee's were swarming her, but, perhaps only got stung by ten or so. After all, each bees dies after stinging(the process rips-out their abdomen) and use the least amount of "stinging" to chase-off the threat yet maintain a healthy defensive colony. 1000 bees stinging seems like "overkill" for the bees. As they will die. I don't know. This just confuses me. Both on the supposed amount of bee stings, and why a colony would do such a massive suicide mission in this type of case. Not to mention the 71-year survived, which is str... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by JGirl on 11 March, 2014, 20:53
Get Well Soon why is it that this woman survived such a major ordeal, and someone somewhere dies from such a little minor incident??? it just wasn't time for her to go yet.
Comment icon #25 Posted by AZDZ on 11 March, 2014, 21:40
I hope she fully recovers. I have had several recent encounters with a bee I feel was actually stalking me. The past week I am sitting on my porch as is usual for me when suddenly this elongated abdomened bee comes swooping down over the eve directly above me aiming for my head. I manage to see it in time and yell and swat at it till it retreats only to attack again a day or so later. Well I got the last word when I armed myself with a bee killing spray and kept it at the ready. His next attack brought him a world of hurt when he got a face full of my wrath. He flew out away from me and I had ... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by JGirl on 12 March, 2014, 2:07
Comment icon #27 Posted by AZDZ on 12 March, 2014, 2:36
Comment icon #28 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 March, 2014, 9:29
I know. True story... I once smashed what appeared to be a spider crawling up my headboard but when I turned on the light to find and remove the corpse, nothing ,nada, zilch. 'Must a been a ghost', I thought. Couple days later I got a mysterious bite on my collar bone. A large knot grew which took a few weeks to go down but then, I developed Frozen Shoulder on that side, which I am only now recovering from. I guess i didn't learn my lesson. Somewhere nearby a hive is drawing its plans against me. The Frozen Shoulder may have been you body slowly changing... Have you started to developed spider... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by AZDZ on 12 March, 2014, 17:37
I wish. Familiar with FS, are you? Endured many painful things in my life but, man, that took the cake. Aging could be the reason but there was a little more to the story than I went into detail about above. The pain at the bite area seemed to flow or creep slowly towards my shoulder as if being swept in that direction and after FZ set in I continued to feel the same pain slowly progressing down my bicep (which made my FS therapy even worse.) The venom had weakened signifacantly by the time it reached my elbow but not enough to add more discomfort to my day to day. When it reached my wrist it ... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 March, 2014, 17:53
Comment icon #31 Posted by JGirl on 14 March, 2014, 2:54
The Frozen Shoulder may have been you body slowly changing... Have you started to developed spider like abilities since obtaining this mysterious spider bite, like being able to climb walls, super human strength, shoot webs from your wrists and the uncanny ability to sense danger? !!

Namibia fairy circle mystery solved at last ?
1-19-2017
Ecologists believe that they may have finally solved the mystery behind Namibia's mysterious circles.
Yellow-haired moth named after Donald Trump
1-19-2017
A new species of tiny moth with a wingspan of just 0.4 inches has been named after the President-elect.
60% of primate species are facing extinction
1-18-2017
A worrying new study has shown just how vulnerable many of the world's primate species actually are.
CIA uploads millions of declassified files
1-18-2017
The documents cover everything from UFO sightings to government-backed remote viewing experiments.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
The future of warfare
Posted 1-19-2017 | 2 comments
Drone armies and laser cannons may become increasingly common in the near future.

Kowloon Walled City
Posted 1-18-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what was once the most densely populated area on the surface of the planet.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Washing machine throwing
Posted 1-14-2017 | 8 comments
Two strongmen battle it out to see who can throw a washing machine the furthest.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland