Tuesday, May 3, 2016   |   5,459 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Woman stung by bees over 1,000 times

Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2014 | Comment icon 31 comments

The bees can be both aggressive and deadly. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Hola Mundo
A huge swarm of Africanized honey bees attacked an elderly woman and two firefighters in California.
The dangers posed by killer bees were laid bare once again this week when a 71-year-old woman was attacked by a large swarm of the insects after she approached an otherwise innocuous looking Verizon cable box in which they had made their home.

Local firefighters battled to save her from the bees and ended up being stung multiple times themselves as they pulled her to safety. Despite suffering more than 1,000 stings, the woman managed to survive the ordeal and is now recovering in hospital.

"They just went into her car and attacked her, they were mad", said Lance Davis who owns a local extermination company called Killer Bee Inc. "We do these jobs all the time, where someone has gotten the bees all excited. Sometimes it doesn’t take much to get these guys angry."

In total more than 75,000 bees were found to have been living inside the cable box.

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (31)

Tags: Bees

Comment icon #22 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 11 March, 2014, 18:03
Get Well Soon why is it that this woman survived such a major ordeal, and someone somewhere dies from such a little minor incident???
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 11 March, 2014, 18:11
strtikes me as a bit exaggerated as well.
Comment icon #24 Posted by JGirl on 11 March, 2014, 20:53
it just wasn't time for her to go yet.
Comment icon #25 Posted by AZDZ on 11 March, 2014, 21:40
I hope she fully recovers. I have had several recent encounters with a bee I feel was actually stalking me. The past week I am sitting on my porch as is usual for me when suddenly this elongated abdomened bee comes swooping down over the eve directly above me aiming for my head. I manage to see it in time and yell and swat at it till it retreats only to attack again a day or so later. Well I got the last word when I armed myself with a bee killing spray and kept it at the ready. His next attack brought him a world of hurt when he got a face full of my wrath. He flew out away from me and I ha... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by JGirl on 12 March, 2014, 2:07
his ghost will come. you are doomed.
Comment icon #27 Posted by AZDZ on 12 March, 2014, 2:36
I know. True story... I once smashed what appeared to be a spider crawling up my headboard but when I turned on the light to find and remove the corpse, nothing ,nada, zilch. 'Must a been a ghost', I thought. Couple days later I got a mysterious bite on my collar bone. A large knot grew which took a few weeks to go down but then, I developed on that side, which I am only now recovering from. I guess i didn't learn my lesson. Somewhere nearby a hive is drawing its plans against me.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 March, 2014, 9:29
The Frozen Shoulder may have been you body slowly changing... Have you started to developed spider like abilities since obtaining this mysterious spider bite, like being able to climb walls, super human strength, shoot webs from your wrists and the uncanny ability to sense danger?
Comment icon #29 Posted by AZDZ on 12 March, 2014, 17:37
I wish. Familiar with FS, are you? Endured many painful things in my life but, man, that took the cake. Aging could be the reason but there was a little more to the story than I went into detail about above. The pain at the bite area seemed to flow or creep slowly towards my shoulder as if being swept in that direction and after FZ set in I continued to feel the same pain slowly progressing down my bicep (which made my FS therapy even worse.) The venom had weakened signifacantly by the time it reached my elbow but not enough to add more discomfort to my day to day. When it reached my wrist ... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 March, 2014, 17:53
No FS experience for me luckily enough. I have known a few sufferers, hopefully I will avoid it. The Spiderman scenario sounds a lot more fun.
Comment icon #31 Posted by JGirl on 14 March, 2014, 2:54
!!

Users online:
5,642,808
257,444
129,114
5,459

Three new Earth-sized planets discovered
5-3-2016
Astronomers have identified three new terrestrial worlds around a relatively close 'ultracool' star.
Scientists build the world's smallest engine
5-3-2016
University of Cambridge physicists have created an engine that is one million times smaller than an ant.
Ancient horse racing rules found in Turkey
5-3-2016
Archaeologists have deciphered a 2,000-year-old tablet inscribed with the rules of a horse racing event.
Elephant is spotted flying over Disneyland
5-2-2016
Visitors to the popular theme park were amazed to see an elephant flying high above the attractions.
Catching a mutated som in Chernobyl
Posted 5-3-2016 | 0 comments
Extreme angler Jeremy Wade ventures to Chernobyl to catch a rather unique specimen.

How does an owl fly so silently ?
Posted 5-2-2016 | 1 comment
Researchers record an owl in flight to determine how it flies without making a sound.

Collecting black mamba venom
Posted 5-1-2016 | 1 comment
Even a single bite from a black mamba delivers enough venom to kill up to twenty people.

A very satisfying video
Posted 4-30-2016 | 1 comment
A compilation of strange, yet extraordinarily satisfying videos of things being made.

Extreme backbending
Posted 4-29-2016 | 1 comment
Contortionist Julia Gunthel sets an eye-watering new record for bending her back.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas