Saturday, August 19, 2017

Woman stung by bees over 1,000 times

Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2014 | Comment icon 31 comments

The bees can be both aggressive and deadly. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Hola Mundo
A huge swarm of Africanized honey bees attacked an elderly woman and two firefighters in California.
The dangers posed by killer bees were laid bare once again this week when a 71-year-old woman was attacked by a large swarm of the insects after she approached an otherwise innocuous looking Verizon cable box in which they had made their home.

Local firefighters battled to save her from the bees and ended up being stung multiple times themselves as they pulled her to safety. Despite suffering more than 1,000 stings, the woman managed to survive the ordeal and is now recovering in hospital.

"They just went into her car and attacked her, they were mad", said Lance Davis who owns a local extermination company called Killer Bee Inc. "We do these jobs all the time, where someone has gotten the bees all excited. Sometimes it doesn’t take much to get these guys angry."

In total more than 75,000 bees were found to have been living inside the cable box.

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (31)

Tags: Bees

Comment icon #22 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 11 March, 2014, 18:03
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 11 March, 2014, 18:11
You know, something just doesn't seem right. Perhaps an estimated 1000 bee's were swarming her, but, perhaps only got stung by ten or so. After all, each bees dies after stinging(the process rips-out their abdomen) and use the least amount of "stinging" to chase-off the threat yet maintain a healthy defensive colony. 1000 bees stinging seems like "overkill" for the bees. As they will die. I don't know. This just confuses me. Both on the supposed amount of bee stings, and why a colony would do such a massive suicide mission in this type of case. Not to mention the 71-year survived, which is str... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by JGirl on 11 March, 2014, 20:53
Get Well Soon why is it that this woman survived such a major ordeal, and someone somewhere dies from such a little minor incident??? it just wasn't time for her to go yet.
Comment icon #25 Posted by AZDZ on 11 March, 2014, 21:40
I hope she fully recovers. I have had several recent encounters with a bee I feel was actually stalking me. The past week I am sitting on my porch as is usual for me when suddenly this elongated abdomened bee comes swooping down over the eve directly above me aiming for my head. I manage to see it in time and yell and swat at it till it retreats only to attack again a day or so later. Well I got the last word when I armed myself with a bee killing spray and kept it at the ready. His next attack brought him a world of hurt when he got a face full of my wrath. He flew out away from me and I had ... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by JGirl on 12 March, 2014, 2:07
Comment icon #27 Posted by AZDZ on 12 March, 2014, 2:36
Comment icon #28 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 March, 2014, 9:29
I know. True story... I once smashed what appeared to be a spider crawling up my headboard but when I turned on the light to find and remove the corpse, nothing ,nada, zilch. 'Must a been a ghost', I thought. Couple days later I got a mysterious bite on my collar bone. A large knot grew which took a few weeks to go down but then, I developed Frozen Shoulder on that side, which I am only now recovering from. I guess i didn't learn my lesson. Somewhere nearby a hive is drawing its plans against me. The Frozen Shoulder may have been you body slowly changing... Have you started to developed spider... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by AZDZ on 12 March, 2014, 17:37
I wish. Familiar with FS, are you? Endured many painful things in my life but, man, that took the cake. Aging could be the reason but there was a little more to the story than I went into detail about above. The pain at the bite area seemed to flow or creep slowly towards my shoulder as if being swept in that direction and after FZ set in I continued to feel the same pain slowly progressing down my bicep (which made my FS therapy even worse.) The venom had weakened signifacantly by the time it reached my elbow but not enough to add more discomfort to my day to day. When it reached my wrist it ... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 March, 2014, 17:53
Comment icon #31 Posted by JGirl on 14 March, 2014, 2:54
The Frozen Shoulder may have been you body slowly changing... Have you started to developed spider like abilities since obtaining this mysterious spider bite, like being able to climb walls, super human strength, shoot webs from your wrists and the uncanny ability to sense danger? !!

Cryptozoology, Myths and Legends
  In search of the Yeti
  Sasquatch nests eDNA study
  Meet the squonk
 Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Death
  Gnosticism
  Any LaVey Fans Here?
Can the Yellowstone supervolcano be stopped ?
8-19-2017
NASA has come up with an ambitious new plan to cool down the supervolcano by using it as an energy source.
Mars rovers to focus on the search for life
8-18-2017
Two upcoming Mars rover missions will attempt to determine if the Red Planet was once home to life.
Thieves in Germany steal 20 tons of chocolate
8-18-2017
The unusual heist saw a trailer loaded with confectionery being driven away in the town of Neustadt.
Mystery of distant Kuiper Belt object deepens
8-17-2017
The next target of NASA's New Horizons probe is a space rock with some rather intriguing properties.
Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia