Saturday, December 3, 2016

Humans can smell up to 1 trillion odours

Posted on Saturday, 22 March, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Stopping to smell the roses. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Scientists have determined that the human nose is far more capable than previously believed.
The widely held belief that we can only distinguish up to 10,000 different smells has been blown out of the water in a new report this week that suggests the real number may be closer to 1 trillion.

To reach this figure, researchers conducted a series of experiments in which participants were asked to identify individual smells in a mixture of scents. By analyzing the cases in which participants were unable to distinguish between overlapping scents, the team was able to calculate the number of individual smells that a human nose was capable of detecting.

"My hope is that this helps to dispel the myth that humans have a bad sense of smell," said study co-author Andreas Keller.

Source: Nature.com | Comments (11)

Tags: Nose, Smell

Comment icon #2 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 22 March, 2014, 15:01
U should just walk tru my neighbourhood and this numbers will change very fast, higher ofc by trillions. I am not sure what are some people cooking in their homes but even my dog runs away from some areas.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Mr. ET on 22 March, 2014, 18:51
Id have to say the worst smell ive ever come in contact with was a rotting deer that was stored in a freezer I hauled off for this old man. instant gag reflex Ill never forget that.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 22 March, 2014, 20:00
And out of all of them, 1 million I'll never want to smell in my life again.
Comment icon #5 Posted by taniwha on 22 March, 2014, 21:43
Thats ridiculous, why stop at a trillion?
Comment icon #6 Posted by maximusnow on 23 March, 2014, 17:24
Please list all odours used in this experiment, alphabeticaly please. Maximus
Comment icon #7 Posted by PM3K on 24 March, 2014, 4:36
Please list all odours used in this experiment, alphabeticaly please. Maximus True but it's only suggested.
Comment icon #8 Posted by regeneratia on 25 March, 2014, 1:55
My skin has an odor when my blood sugar gets a little high. I am not diabetic. It does, however, run in the family. I can smell something on my arms, after a night's sleep, that tells me I need to cut down on the carbs for a couple of days. I cut down on the carbs and take chromium and magnesium immediately upon smelling that odor. The worst smell I have ever experienced has happened quite a few times. That smell is when people poop blood. When combined with liver failure, the smell is enough to make you faint.
Comment icon #9 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 25 March, 2014, 11:56
I don't think any human being will be able to smell a trillion different odors in a lifetime anyway. I doubt I reached the initial ten thousand to begin with.
Comment icon #10 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 25 March, 2014, 14:33
how many different odours can a dog smell
Comment icon #11 Posted by lightly on 26 March, 2014, 19:41
My smellier half has produced some that were off the scale !

Man is attempting to swim across the Atlantic
12-2-2016
British swimmer Ben Hooper has embarked on a seemingly impossible feat of strength and endurance.
Global warming 'beyond point of no return'
12-2-2016
A groundbreaking new study suggests that scientists have underestimated the impact of climate change.
'Breakthrough' will make chocolate healthier
12-1-2016
Swiss food giant Nestle has found a way to reduce sugar in chocolate by 40% without affecting the taste.
Road in Siberia ends up coated in green snow
12-1-2016
The bizarre spectacle occurred after a pipe burst and water from a drainage well rose to the surface.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 6 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 4 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Pulling a fire engine
Posted 11-30-2016 | 0 comments
Strongman Kevin Fast and his two sons manage to pull a fire engine over 100ft.

How to jump from the edge of space
Posted 11-29-2016 | 2 comments
In 2014, Alan Eustace donned a special spacesuit and jumped from over 135,000 feet.

Don't mix Coca-Cola with liquid nitrogen
Posted 11-28-2016 | 6 comments
A look at what happens when you add liquid nitrogen to a half-empty bottle of Coke.

Not my daughter