Friday, October 20, 2017

Humans can smell up to 1 trillion odours

Posted on Saturday, 22 March, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Stopping to smell the roses. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Scientists have determined that the human nose is far more capable than previously believed.
The widely held belief that we can only distinguish up to 10,000 different smells has been blown out of the water in a new report this week that suggests the real number may be closer to 1 trillion.

To reach this figure, researchers conducted a series of experiments in which participants were asked to identify individual smells in a mixture of scents. By analyzing the cases in which participants were unable to distinguish between overlapping scents, the team was able to calculate the number of individual smells that a human nose was capable of detecting.

"My hope is that this helps to dispel the myth that humans have a bad sense of smell," said study co-author Andreas Keller.

Source: Nature.com | Comments (11)

Tags: Nose, Smell

Comment icon #2 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 22 March, 2014, 15:01
U should just walk tru my neighbourhood and this numbers will change very fast, higher ofc by trillions. I am not sure what are some people cooking in their homes but even my dog runs away from some areas.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Mr. ET on 22 March, 2014, 18:51
Id have to say the worst smell ive ever come in contact with was a rotting deer that was stored in a freezer I hauled off for this old man. instant gag reflex Ill never forget that.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 22 March, 2014, 20:00
And out of all of them, 1 million I'll never want to smell in my life again.
Comment icon #5 Posted by taniwha on 22 March, 2014, 21:43
Thats ridiculous, why stop at a trillion?
Comment icon #6 Posted by maximusnow on 23 March, 2014, 17:24
Please list all odours used in this experiment, alphabeticaly please. Maximus
Comment icon #7 Posted by PM3K on 24 March, 2014, 4:36
Please list all odours used in this experiment, alphabeticaly please. Maximus True but it's only suggested.
Comment icon #8 Posted by regeneratia on 25 March, 2014, 1:55
My skin has an odor when my blood sugar gets a little high. I am not diabetic. It does, however, run in the family. I can smell something on my arms, after a night's sleep, that tells me I need to cut down on the carbs for a couple of days. I cut down on the carbs and take chromium and magnesium immediately upon smelling that odor. The worst smell I have ever experienced has happened quite a few times. That smell is when people poop blood. When combined with liver failure, the smell is enough to make you faint.
Comment icon #9 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 25 March, 2014, 11:56
I don't think any human being will be able to smell a trillion different odors in a lifetime anyway. I doubt I reached the initial ten thousand to begin with.
Comment icon #10 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 25 March, 2014, 14:33
how many different odours can a dog smell
Comment icon #11 Posted by lightly on 26 March, 2014, 19:41
My smellier half has produced some that were off the scale !

9.7 million-year-old hominin teeth discovered
10-20-2017
The surprising find has the potential to completely rewrite everything we know of early human history.
Flying insect numbers drop by 75% in 27 years
10-20-2017
A new study has highlighted a huge reduction in the number of flying insects in Germany's nature reserves.
Car appears out of nowhere in puzzling footage
10-20-2017
An intriguing optical illusion has been leaving social media users scratching their heads this week.
Huge 50km-long cave discovered on the Moon
10-19-2017
The Japanese space agency JAXA has announced the discovery of a cave hidden beneath the lunar surface.
Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland