Thursday, July 27, 2017

Two giant pharaoh statues unveiled in Egypt

Posted on Wednesday, 26 March, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

The Colossi of Memnon. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 JMCC1
Two statues of Amenhotep III have been restored to their original spots in the ancient city of Luxor.
Amenhotep was a prominent ruler in ancient Egypt who controlled a vast empire covering the regions between modern day Iraq and Sudan. Having become the empire's ruler at the age of just 12, the celebrated pharaoh was memorialized with several impressive colossi.

Now a team of archaeologists has meticulously restored two more of the statues so that they can be put on public display. At 11m in height, one of the colossi weighs up to 250 tons but is missing a double crown piece that would have seen it weigh as much as 450 tons.

The two restored statues have now joined the two pre-existing 3,400-year-old Colossi of Memnon statues at the funerary temple of the King where they would have been originally located during ancient times.

Source: Russia Today | Comments (21)

Tags: Amenhotep, Egypt, Luxor

Comment icon #12 Posted by Ashotep on 27 March, 2014, 0:49
A lost science buried under tons and tons of sand! Alien in nature of course! The Martians had to go somewhere. Would like to know whats under that Sphinx.
Comment icon #13 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 27 March, 2014, 6:52
I would love to see the pyramids, but like you, I am afraid to go there. I also hope they don't blow them up. Zahi Hawass did say a few year ago, that 60%-70% of ancient egypt is still under the sands.. Theres more chance that the undiscovered be blown up than the ones that are already discovered
Comment icon #14 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch on 27 March, 2014, 7:02
Giants. Giants is the answer everyone is looking for. There are images in and around the pyramids as to how giants of all sizes cut, measured, carried, and placed. However, the technology was also there, as most engineers agree that the great pyramid was used to create energy or a chemical process of some sort. The history of giants has been covered up by the likes of the Smithsonian and other well off historical institutions. One would also ask, where are all of the bones? Well, a good answer to that would be, if we use the bible as a historical reference, that there were a little less than h... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch on 27 March, 2014, 7:08
Would like to know whats under that Sphinx. Your prayers have been answered. Limestone... cracks .... and eventually a little water. There is a room inside the rear end of the Sphinx. I believe they found a tiny bit of trash. There may have been a storage of something in there at one time but it is long since empty. But underneath... drilling and ground penetrating radar shows no cavity of any size and no connecting tunnels. Essentially nothing is under the Sphinx.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch on 27 March, 2014, 7:13
Zahi Hawass did say a few year ago, that 60%-70% of ancient egypt is still under the sands.. Theres more chance that the undiscovered be blown up than the ones that are already discovered How many examples of certain religious extremists blowing monuments up? Ill miss the giant Buddhas .... that was in 2001. Pretty recent .... largest Buddhas ever. 165 ft tall. Or the equivalent of a 16 story highrise give or take a floor. :*( Edit less generalized. Did not want to blanket an entire culture.
Comment icon #17 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 27 March, 2014, 7:58
dont get me going about religious extremists blowing things up..... the country that my ancestors are from is right next door the where majority of talibans operate
Comment icon #18 Posted by mxcx on 27 March, 2014, 18:11
Oh please please please tell me this is sarcasm. Please............... Thats alright. Sarcasm is the usual reaction. Its really not my concern whether or not anyone takes that issue seriously, nor do I really care if they research it themselves. Way to jump in there with some context. I really have no idea what your thoughts are on the matter, so at this point, you put me on the defense with that statement. There is no place for close minded people in an open minded discussion. How were they built again? Ropes and pulleys with copper hammers, right? Also, never was a body found in any pyramid.
Comment icon #19 Posted by taniwha on 28 March, 2014, 21:17
SO the technology was there, but stones have to be cut and placed, and that needs manpower..... They had technology beyond us, and the engineering is there to prove it... Why contradict yourself? It was either manpower or robots.
Comment icon #20 Posted by mxcx on 28 March, 2014, 22:38
Why contradict yourself? It was either manpower or robots. There was no contradiction at all. I was just showing that the technology was there, like everyone knows, and the historical guides that were left by the builders, showing giants. There is proof of high technology and giants, thats all I was saying. What I meant by the engineering is there, is that any engineer will tell you that the great pyramid was meant to operate a chemical process, I wasnt talking about electro-magnetic technology, or anything that might have moved the stones besides actual flesh. I should have been more specific... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by taniwha on 28 March, 2014, 22:44
There was no contradiction at all. I was just showing that the technology was there, like everyone knows, and the historical guides that were left by the builders, showing giants. There is proof of high technology and giants, thats all I was saying. Ok. I have never been to Egypt but from the outside the evidence is of a mathematical, geometric and engineering nature. This is a proof of intelligent life. Humans to be exact.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 3 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI