Friday, July 28, 2017

Paraplegic with robot suit to open World Cup

Posted on Wednesday, 11 June, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

Scientists have been developing the exoskeleton for years. Image Credit: YouTube / The Guardian
A paralysed person wearing an advanced exoskeleton will kick off the world's biggest football event.
During the World Cup opening ceremony in Sao Paulo a paraplegic, whose name has yet to be revealed, will stand up from their wheelchair and kick the ball using an Iron Man-like robotic suit controlled directly by signals from their brain.

"It's the first time an exoskeleton has been controlled by brain activity," said Dr Miguel Nicolelis. "Doing a demonstration in a stadium is something very much outside our routine in robotics. It's never been done before."

The exoskeleton works by picking up the wearer's brain signals and translating them in to physical movements. In the future suits like this could allow people with paralysis to leave their wheelchairs behind on a permanent basis.

"In 2009, after we learned Brazil was hosting the World Cup, they asked me for ideas to show Brazil in a different way than the world usually sees it," said Dr Nicolelis. "That's when I suggested doing a scientific demonstration to teach people that Brazil is investing and has human potential to do things beyond football."

Source: Sydney Morning Herald | Comments (15)

Tags: Football, World Cup, Exoskeleton, Robot

Comment icon #6 Posted by Junior Chubb on 11 June, 2014, 18:56
The future is now. A disabled man is walking on the field because he has robotic legs You couldn't make this stuff up 100 years ago Imagine 100 years from now, the technology may allow a paraplegic man to play in the World Cup. I hope they pull this off. Personally, this would be akin to the moon landings. What, you mean people will label it as a hoax!!!
Comment icon #7 Posted by Vox on 11 June, 2014, 22:24
I like what you did there Chubb!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Whatsinausername on 12 June, 2014, 4:49
If this exoskeleton can be made practically, what a boon! I can see some scientist trying to make a set of "Doc Oct" arms http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=267380
Comment icon #9 Posted by Rose-Red Howler on 12 June, 2014, 4:56
This is really futuristic and exciting!
Comment icon #10 Posted by Talion78 on 12 June, 2014, 5:59
They are already making "Doc Oc" arms http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/267380/mit-designs-dr-octopus-robotic-limbs
Comment icon #11 Posted by maximusnow on 12 June, 2014, 13:14
The future will have paraplegic robots wearing human exoskeletons.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Junior Chubb on 12 June, 2014, 23:17
Comment icon #13 Posted by Silent Trinity on 13 June, 2014, 9:09
Very inspiring, these are the advancements in research we want....not 'we have proved beer goggles exist' ffs
Comment icon #14 Posted by Rose-Red Howler on 13 June, 2014, 9:58
Well that was a let down, I saw him warming up at the edge of the pitch.... Was that it, did he make an entrance, did I miss anything? I only saw him for a second and that was it
Comment icon #15 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 June, 2014, 11:12
I only saw him for a second and that was it Not a great advert for the hardware, maybe there was a technical hiccup. Glad you backed me up though, I was wondering if I fell asleep during the boredom of the Opening Ceremony and missed it.

5952086

Rare full circle rainbow filmed over Russia
7-28-2017
A crane operator working on a construction site has recorded footage of a 360-degree rainbow.
First extrasolar moon potentially discovered
7-28-2017
Astronomers believe that they may have found, for the first time, a moon orbiting an extrasolar planet.
Conjoined bat twins discovered in rainforest
7-28-2017
The extremely rare find is one of only a few examples of conjoined twins ever seen outside of humans.
California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Hyperloop test
Posted 7-28-2017 | 1 comment
A look at the first successful test ride of the Hyperloop - a futuristic transportation system.

Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI