Wednesday, September 20, 2017

45th anniversary of the first moon landing

Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 | Comment icon 47 comments

One small step. Image Credit: NASA
Today marks exactly 45 years since Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on another world.
When the Saturn V rocket carrying Apollo 11 and its crew first took off from the Kennedy Space Center on July 16th, 1969 the whole world watched with bated breath as three men took to the heavens on the most daring mission ever undertaken.

Four days later Neil Armstrong emerged from the lunar lander, descended the ladder on the outside of the spacecraft and left the first ever footprints in the lunar soil as he uttered the immortal words "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

The mission, on which Armstrong was also joined by Buzz Aldrin in the lander and Michael Collins in the orbiting command spacecraft, would go on to be regarded as one of the most significant accomplishments in the history of the world.

"I feel a very special obligation to say, 'Thank you, Neil, Buzz and Mike,'" said NASA administrator Charles Bolden. "We're standing on your shoulders, building on your historic achievements and getting ready to take the next giant leap for humankind."

Source: Space.com | Comments (47)

Tags: Moon, Apollo

Comment icon #38 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 23 July, 2014, 3:08
Watched it with mom and dad after biting my nails off during the landing. Still rings in my ears. "Picking up some dust. Contact lights. Houston, Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed." Roger, Tranquility, we copy you on the ground. You gotta a bunch a guys about to turn blue. We're breathin' again. Thanks a lot." That'a how I remember it after 45 years, and how the mission control guy garbled the word "Tranquility".
Comment icon #39 Posted by taniwha on 23 July, 2014, 9:15
The moon had been conquered already before i was born but im guessing the thrill and excitement i experienced watching the first space shuttle launch live on tv is just as significant, a giant leap of kinds, to a 10year old anyhow. Like who else can remember the date of the first shuttle launch off the top of their heads? April 12th 1981 To be fair I googled it!
Comment icon #40 Posted by Lilly on 23 July, 2014, 20:51
So many OLDDDDDD People!!! Watch out or I will beat you with my cane!
Comment icon #41 Posted by DieChecker on 23 July, 2014, 21:03
Watch out or I will beat you with my cane! Not if I take your granny glasses!!
Comment icon #42 Posted by Lilly on 23 July, 2014, 21:31
Not if I take your granny glasses!! They are called 'trifocals' and I'll simply swing my cane at your blurry form!
Comment icon #43 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 23 July, 2014, 21:37
Not old, just experienced. Actually there is a formula to calculate old age X=W+1 Where: X is old age (in years) W is Waspie's current age (in years).
Comment icon #44 Posted by DecoNoir on 24 July, 2014, 2:19
Man I missed out on some good stuff. Not much in the "Once in a Lifetime Experience" department while I've been alive, nothing good anyway. Of course I plan on another 60 years at least!
Comment icon #45 Posted by Lilly on 24 July, 2014, 9:34
Of course I plan on another 60 years at least! You'll be around for the first man on Mars...maybe even first contact with ET (who knows). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get another 20 years!
Comment icon #46 Posted by DieChecker on 24 July, 2014, 16:48
I plan on living to 150, because my wife says I have to outlive her before I can become a space ranger, or asteroid miner.
Comment icon #47 Posted by DONTEATUS on 27 July, 2014, 16:26
Me too Im good for at least another 100 years ! Come on Magic pills !

Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
60 ancient shipwrecks found in the Black Sea
9-19-2017
Marine archaeologists unexpectedly stumbled across a goldmine of shipwrecks during a recent expedition.
Italian supervolcano's magma source found
9-18-2017
Scientists have discovered evidence of a 'hot zone' feeding a supervolcano in southern Italy.
Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

How not to land a rocket booster
Posted 9-15-2017 | 0 comments
It took SpaceX more than a few tries to master the complicated landing process.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY