Monday, January 23, 2017

45th anniversary of the first moon landing

Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 | Comment icon 47 comments

One small step. Image Credit: NASA
Today marks exactly 45 years since Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on another world.
When the Saturn V rocket carrying Apollo 11 and its crew first took off from the Kennedy Space Center on July 16th, 1969 the whole world watched with bated breath as three men took to the heavens on the most daring mission ever undertaken.

Four days later Neil Armstrong emerged from the lunar lander, descended the ladder on the outside of the spacecraft and left the first ever footprints in the lunar soil as he uttered the immortal words "it's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

The mission, on which Armstrong was also joined by Buzz Aldrin in the lander and Michael Collins in the orbiting command spacecraft, would go on to be regarded as one of the most significant accomplishments in the history of the world.

"I feel a very special obligation to say, 'Thank you, Neil, Buzz and Mike,'" said NASA administrator Charles Bolden. "We're standing on your shoulders, building on your historic achievements and getting ready to take the next giant leap for humankind."

Source: Space.com | Comments (47)

Tags: Moon, Apollo

Comment icon #38 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 23 July, 2014, 3:08
Watched it with mom and dad after biting my nails off during the landing. Still rings in my ears. "Picking up some dust. Contact lights. Houston, Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed." Roger, Tranquility, we copy you on the ground. You gotta a bunch a guys about to turn blue. We're breathin' again. Thanks a lot." That'a how I remember it after 45 years, and how the mission control guy garbled the word "Tranquility".
Comment icon #39 Posted by taniwha on 23 July, 2014, 9:15
The moon had been conquered already before i was born but im guessing the thrill and excitement i experienced watching the first space shuttle launch live on tv is just as significant, a giant leap of kinds, to a 10year old anyhow. Like who else can remember the date of the first shuttle launch off the top of their heads? April 12th 1981 To be fair I googled it!
Comment icon #40 Posted by Lilly on 23 July, 2014, 20:51
So many OLDDDDDD People!!! Watch out or I will beat you with my cane!
Comment icon #41 Posted by DieChecker on 23 July, 2014, 21:03
Watch out or I will beat you with my cane! Not if I take your granny glasses!!
Comment icon #42 Posted by Lilly on 23 July, 2014, 21:31
Not if I take your granny glasses!! They are called 'trifocals' and I'll simply swing my cane at your blurry form!
Comment icon #43 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 23 July, 2014, 21:37
Not old, just experienced. Actually there is a formula to calculate old age X=W+1 Where: X is old age (in years) W is Waspie's current age (in years).
Comment icon #44 Posted by DecoNoir on 24 July, 2014, 2:19
Man I missed out on some good stuff. Not much in the "Once in a Lifetime Experience" department while I've been alive, nothing good anyway. Of course I plan on another 60 years at least!
Comment icon #45 Posted by Lilly on 24 July, 2014, 9:34
Of course I plan on another 60 years at least! You'll be around for the first man on Mars...maybe even first contact with ET (who knows). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get another 20 years!
Comment icon #46 Posted by DieChecker on 24 July, 2014, 16:48
I plan on living to 150, because my wife says I have to outlive her before I can become a space ranger, or asteroid miner.
Comment icon #47 Posted by DONTEATUS on 27 July, 2014, 16:26
Me too Im good for at least another 100 years ! Come on Magic pills !

Mystery surrounds felling of 200 beech trees
1-23-2017
Authorities in Wales are attempting to work out who chopped down hundreds of beech trees near Caerphilly.
New clue emerges in DB Cooper hijacking case
1-22-2017
An independent investigation in to the long-running mystery has managed to dig up an important new clue.
Did humans wipe out Australia's megafauna ?
1-22-2017
A new study has cast doubt on the idea that climate change wiped out most of Australia's huge beasts.
Some of us are able to 'hear' flashes of light
1-21-2017
Scientists have identified a form of synaesthesia that may affect more than one fifth of the population.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Snapping steel in slow-motion
Posted 1-23-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys film a steel beam being snapped and replay it in extreme slow motion.

Coconut octopus vs crab
Posted 1-22-2017 | 1 comment
A coconut octopus lies in wait for an unsuspecting meal in this Smithsonian Channel clip.

What would happen if you fell 365 meters ?
Posted 1-21-2017 | 2 comments
A look at what would happen if you were unfortunate enough to fall from a great height.

A colorful 'landing' on Pluto
Posted 1-20-2017 | 0 comments
This NASA movie explores would it might be like to land on the dwarf planet Pluto.

The future of warfare
Posted 1-19-2017 | 5 comments
Drone armies and laser cannons may become increasingly common in the near future.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland