Monday, July 25, 2016

45th anniversary of the first moon landing

Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 | Comment icon 47 comments

One small step. Image Credit: NASA
Today marks exactly 45 years since Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on another world.
When the Saturn V rocket carrying Apollo 11 and its crew first took off from the Kennedy Space Center on July 16th, 1969 the whole world watched with bated breath as three men took to the heavens on the most daring mission ever undertaken.

Four days later Neil Armstrong emerged from the lunar lander, descended the ladder on the outside of the spacecraft and left the first ever footprints in the lunar soil as he uttered the immortal words "it's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

The mission, on which Armstrong was also joined by Buzz Aldrin in the lander and Michael Collins in the orbiting command spacecraft, would go on to be regarded as one of the most significant accomplishments in the history of the world.

"I feel a very special obligation to say, 'Thank you, Neil, Buzz and Mike,'" said NASA administrator Charles Bolden. "We're standing on your shoulders, building on your historic achievements and getting ready to take the next giant leap for humankind."

Source: Space.com | Comments (47)

Tags: Moon, Apollo

Comment icon #38 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 23 July, 2014, 3:08
Watched it with mom and dad after biting my nails off during the landing. Still rings in my ears. "Picking up some dust. Contact lights. Houston, Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed." Roger, Tranquility, we copy you on the ground. You gotta a bunch a guys about to turn blue. We're breathin' again. Thanks a lot." That'a how I remember it after 45 years, and how the mission control guy garbled the word "Tranquility".
Comment icon #39 Posted by taniwha on 23 July, 2014, 9:15
The moon had been conquered already before i was born but im guessing the thrill and excitement i experienced watching the first space shuttle launch live on tv is just as significant, a giant leap of kinds, to a 10year old anyhow. Like who else can remember the date of the first shuttle launch off the top of their heads? April 12th 1981 To be fair I googled it!
Comment icon #40 Posted by Lilly on 23 July, 2014, 20:51
So many OLDDDDDD People!!! Watch out or I will beat you with my cane!
Comment icon #41 Posted by DieChecker on 23 July, 2014, 21:03
Watch out or I will beat you with my cane! Not if I take your granny glasses!!
Comment icon #42 Posted by Lilly on 23 July, 2014, 21:31
Not if I take your granny glasses!! They are called 'trifocals' and I'll simply swing my cane at your blurry form!
Comment icon #43 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 23 July, 2014, 21:37
Not old, just experienced. Actually there is a formula to calculate old age X=W+1 Where: X is old age (in years) W is Waspie's current age (in years).
Comment icon #44 Posted by DecoNoir on 24 July, 2014, 2:19
Man I missed out on some good stuff. Not much in the "Once in a Lifetime Experience" department while I've been alive, nothing good anyway. Of course I plan on another 60 years at least!
Comment icon #45 Posted by Lilly on 24 July, 2014, 9:34
Of course I plan on another 60 years at least! You'll be around for the first man on Mars...maybe even first contact with ET (who knows). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get another 20 years!
Comment icon #46 Posted by DieChecker on 24 July, 2014, 16:48
I plan on living to 150, because my wife says I have to outlive her before I can become a space ranger, or asteroid miner.
Comment icon #47 Posted by DONTEATUS on 27 July, 2014, 16:26
Me too Im good for at least another 100 years ! Come on Magic pills !

NASA to digitize data from Viking landers
7-25-2016
The data recorded during the historic Viking Mars missions is set to be archived in digital form.
New Megaraptor dinosaur found in Argentina
7-25-2016
A new species of meat-eating dinosaur dating back to the Late Cretaceous has been unearthed in Patagonia.
Has 'Beast of Bodmin' mystery been solved ?
7-24-2016
A zoo owner has come forward with information that could help to explain the alien big cat phenomenon.
New metal is four times tougher than titanium
7-24-2016
Scientists have created a brand new type of super-metal by melting together titanium and gold.
Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 3 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Real-life Pokemon
Posted 7-24-2016 | 1 comment
Are there any animals in the real world that could be considered actual real-life Pokemon ?

Trans-Atlantic solar powered flight
Posted 7-23-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Solar Impulse 2, the aircraft that crossed the Atlantic using the power of the sun.

The Earth from space
Posted 7-22-2016 | 0 comments
A view of our home planet as seen through the EPIC camera on the NOAA's DSCOVR satellite

How are Oreos made ?
Posted 7-21-2016 | 2 comments
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of Oreo cookies.

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah