Wednesday, March 29, 2017

45th anniversary of the first moon landing

Posted on Sunday, 20 July, 2014 | Comment icon 47 comments

One small step. Image Credit: NASA
Today marks exactly 45 years since Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on another world.
When the Saturn V rocket carrying Apollo 11 and its crew first took off from the Kennedy Space Center on July 16th, 1969 the whole world watched with bated breath as three men took to the heavens on the most daring mission ever undertaken.

Four days later Neil Armstrong emerged from the lunar lander, descended the ladder on the outside of the spacecraft and left the first ever footprints in the lunar soil as he uttered the immortal words "it's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

The mission, on which Armstrong was also joined by Buzz Aldrin in the lander and Michael Collins in the orbiting command spacecraft, would go on to be regarded as one of the most significant accomplishments in the history of the world.

"I feel a very special obligation to say, 'Thank you, Neil, Buzz and Mike,'" said NASA administrator Charles Bolden. "We're standing on your shoulders, building on your historic achievements and getting ready to take the next giant leap for humankind."

Source: Space.com | Comments (47)

Tags: Moon, Apollo

Comment icon #38 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 23 July, 2014, 3:08
Watched it with mom and dad after biting my nails off during the landing. Still rings in my ears. "Picking up some dust. Contact lights. Houston, Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed." Roger, Tranquility, we copy you on the ground. You gotta a bunch a guys about to turn blue. We're breathin' again. Thanks a lot." That'a how I remember it after 45 years, and how the mission control guy garbled the word "Tranquility".
Comment icon #39 Posted by taniwha on 23 July, 2014, 9:15
The moon had been conquered already before i was born but im guessing the thrill and excitement i experienced watching the first space shuttle launch live on tv is just as significant, a giant leap of kinds, to a 10year old anyhow. Like who else can remember the date of the first shuttle launch off the top of their heads? April 12th 1981 To be fair I googled it!
Comment icon #40 Posted by Lilly on 23 July, 2014, 20:51
So many OLDDDDDD People!!! Watch out or I will beat you with my cane!
Comment icon #41 Posted by DieChecker on 23 July, 2014, 21:03
Watch out or I will beat you with my cane! Not if I take your granny glasses!!
Comment icon #42 Posted by Lilly on 23 July, 2014, 21:31
Not if I take your granny glasses!! They are called 'trifocals' and I'll simply swing my cane at your blurry form!
Comment icon #43 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 23 July, 2014, 21:37
Not old, just experienced. Actually there is a formula to calculate old age X=W+1 Where: X is old age (in years) W is Waspie's current age (in years).
Comment icon #44 Posted by DecoNoir on 24 July, 2014, 2:19
Man I missed out on some good stuff. Not much in the "Once in a Lifetime Experience" department while I've been alive, nothing good anyway. Of course I plan on another 60 years at least!
Comment icon #45 Posted by Lilly on 24 July, 2014, 9:34
Of course I plan on another 60 years at least! You'll be around for the first man on Mars...maybe even first contact with ET (who knows). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get another 20 years!
Comment icon #46 Posted by DieChecker on 24 July, 2014, 16:48
I plan on living to 150, because my wife says I have to outlive her before I can become a space ranger, or asteroid miner.
Comment icon #47 Posted by DONTEATUS on 27 July, 2014, 16:26
Me too Im good for at least another 100 years ! Come on Magic pills !

Woman blames car crash on Bigfoot sighting
3-28-2017
An unidentified motorist ended up hitting a deer in her car after being distracted by a 'hairy beast'.
Apollo astronaut: 'ET has never visited us'
3-28-2017
Alan Bean, one of only 12 people to walk on the Moon, doesn't believe we have ever been visited by aliens.
'Maerdy Monster' is new species of millipede
3-28-2017
Scientists in the UK have discovered a previously unknown species of millipede at an old Welsh coal mine.
Australia's own 'Jurassic Park' discovered
3-27-2017
Scientists have identified a site containing thousands of footprints from 21 different dinosaur species.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Mythical monsters
Posted 3-28-2017 | 1 comment
Jeremy Wade investigates the stories behind some of the world's best known monster myths.

6ft rockets in slow motion
Posted 3-27-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys use their high-speed camera to record some rocket launches.

Most watched animal on YouTube
Posted 3-26-2017 | 2 comments
Maru the cat has accumulated more views than any other animal on the video sharing site.

ALMA's 100-ton antennas
Posted 3-25-2017 | 0 comments
A special vehicle is used to carry ALMA's ultra-heavy antennas in to place in the desert.

How do we find lost satellites ?
Posted 3-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the methods scientists use to locate spacecraft with which contact has been lost.

My nightly occurrences