Monday, February 20, 2017

Mysterious red glow spotted over the Pacific

Posted on Tuesday, 26 August, 2014 | Comment icon 106 comments

The incident occured over the Atlantic Ocean. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Vix_B
Two pilots reported seeing a strange but beautiful underwater light show while flying near Kamchatka.
The pair first spotted the phenomenon around five hours in to their flight from Hong Kong to Alaska. It began with a sudden intense flash like a lightning bolt in the distance before a red and orange glow could be seen permeating the ocean about 20 minutes later.

There were no storms in the region at the time of the sighting and neither of the men had ever seen anything like it before.

"Last night over the Pacific Ocean, somewhere South of the Russian peninsula Kamchatka I experienced the creepiest thing so far in my flying career," one of the pilots, van Heijst, later explained in a report about the incident. "The closer we got, the more intense the glow became, illuminating the clouds and sky below us in a scary orange glow, in a part of the world where there was supposed to be nothing but water."

One possible explanation for the spectacle is that it could have been an underwater volcano.

Both pilots admitted to feeling "anything but comfortable" for the rest of the flight but despite their encounter with the unknown they made it to their destination safe and well.

Photographs that they took of the anomaly during the trip can be viewed - here.

Source: Mail Online | Comments (106)

Tags: Pacific, Lights

Comment icon #97 Posted by MidnightLady on 9 November, 2014, 1:45
I give credence to pilots especially commercial airline pilots. It take years of training and education to fly a jet and make sure the people on your flight get to their destination in one piece. To operate a huge jumbo jet one has to be very skilled and alert. When they report something. I take notice. I never doubt the fly-boys. I also know when it's time to pass the mash potatoes and move along.
Comment icon #98 Posted by Hawkin on 9 November, 2014, 2:51
I never doubt the fly-boys. I also know when it's time to pass the mash potatoes and move along. People go about there daily lives doing their thing. But when they hear of this phenomena it's taboo to them. There are even cultures around the world that are in disbelieve that the human race lives on a sphere floating in space. I better eat my chicken tenders and fries before they get cold.
Comment icon #99 Posted by SolarPlexus on 9 November, 2014, 3:29
I thought cherenkov radiation, but after seeing the pics im not so sure....
Comment icon #100 Posted by MidnightLady on 13 November, 2014, 4:12
People go about there daily lives doing their thing. But when they hear of this phenomena it's taboo to them. There are even cultures around the world that are in disbelieve that the human race lives on a sphere floating in space. I better eat my chicken tenders and fries before they get cold. Ah, a giant Frisbee in space? Or perhaps a marble inside a small bottle attached to a cats collar! I rather fancy the latter since I have often thought we live on a large chessboard and the controllers are both humorous and deadly.
Comment icon #101 Posted by MrBene on 19 May, 2015, 1:21
Sorry for bumping but I'm still interested.
Comment icon #102 Posted by Shouldthisexist on 20 May, 2015, 15:49
I agree mrbene I just read this entire thread and realized how before I had never heard anything about it. There are so many good theories put fourth. I am dissapointed by the lack of investigating that followed this mystery. I am to the point where I feel like um should make it's own teams to investigate. There are plenty of well educated skeptics and free thinkers that we could do no worse than ancient aliens or that show fact or faked. In regards to the original thread is this a isolated incident or has this happened before like even similar event that we couldn't easily or reliably explain... [More]
Comment icon #103 Posted by aearluin on 20 May, 2015, 16:23
I am sure there is a perfectly natural explanation for these "lights" but they remind me of a personal experience i had with a "misterious light" last year. I am a biologist and was doing field work in the bijagós islands in Guinea-Bissau. These islands are sparcely populated and have virtually no electricity a part from a few rusty old engines. One night we were sitting by the sea and we just saw an enourmous light, something like a massive explosion far away in the distance. There was no sound associated with the light. This light, which started out yelow/whitish and then turned red as it di... [More]
Comment icon #104 Posted by stereologist on 20 May, 2015, 19:26
Comment icon #105 Posted by Catti-Brie on 22 May, 2015, 13:56
I've been periodically checking the pilot's personal site at www.pbase.com/flying_dutchman/pacific_eruption The pilot writes, "Received very interesting emails and information from Russian Kamchatka based scientists from the 'Distant school of Cosmic Meteo Tectonics......They suspect this might have something to do with so called 'earthquake lights' because of a strong electromagnetic interaction between the earths core and atmosphere." This May 10th, 2015 suggestion from a reader, "steve," was also something to think about: 10-May-2015 13:23 tsunami debris field with fukushima fuel on it. whe... [More]
Comment icon #106 Posted by stereologist on 22 May, 2015, 15:55
What sort of an explosion happened at Fukushima? They were hydrogen explosions right? The fuel was a gas. What is this person talking about? I think this person gets the idea that what the pilot saw was radioactivity at work. How odd!

SpaceX Cape Canaveral launch is a success
2-19-2017
The private space firm has successfully launched a Falcon 9 rocket from NASA's Kennedy Space Center.
Fed up single woman decides to marry herself
2-19-2017
Singleton Lynne Gollogly made the decision following years of failed attempts to find 'Mr Right'.
Mars may be slowly forming a ring system
2-19-2017
Mars may not be the most obvious place to look for rings, but that could soon be set to change.
Scientists aim to harness power of volcanoes
2-18-2017
Efforts are underway in Iceland to find ways of turning the heat from volcanoes in to usable electricity.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Slow motion football explosion
Posted 2-19-2017 | 0 comments
What happens when you over-inflate a football ? The Slo Mo Guys investigate.

Long-term space travel and isolation
Posted 2-18-2017 | 1 comment
Not everyone is cut out for the isolation of traveling long distances through space.

Humphead parrotfish
Posted 2-17-2017 | 1 comment
These bizarre-looking 1.5-meter-long fish can use their teeth to turn coral in to a fine sand.

Catching lightning in a bottle
Posted 2-16-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to catch lightning in a bottle ? Adam Savage investigates.

Most finger snaps in one minute
Posted 2-15-2017 | 3 comments
Japanese university student Satoyuki Fujimura managed 296 fingers snaps in 60 seconds.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.