Sunday, December 11, 2016

Mysterious red glow spotted over the Pacific

Posted on Tuesday, 26 August, 2014 | Comment icon 106 comments

The incident occured over the Atlantic Ocean. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Vix_B
Two pilots reported seeing a strange but beautiful underwater light show while flying near Kamchatka.
The pair first spotted the phenomenon around five hours in to their flight from Hong Kong to Alaska. It began with a sudden intense flash like a lightning bolt in the distance before a red and orange glow could be seen permeating the ocean about 20 minutes later.

There were no storms in the region at the time of the sighting and neither of the men had ever seen anything like it before.

"Last night over the Pacific Ocean, somewhere South of the Russian peninsula Kamchatka I experienced the creepiest thing so far in my flying career," one of the pilots, van Heijst, later explained in a report about the incident. "The closer we got, the more intense the glow became, illuminating the clouds and sky below us in a scary orange glow, in a part of the world where there was supposed to be nothing but water."

One possible explanation for the spectacle is that it could have been an underwater volcano.

Both pilots admitted to feeling "anything but comfortable" for the rest of the flight but despite their encounter with the unknown they made it to their destination safe and well.

Photographs that they took of the anomaly during the trip can be viewed - here.

Source: Mail Online | Comments (106)

Tags: Pacific, Lights

Comment icon #97 Posted by MidnightLady on 9 November, 2014, 1:45
I give credence to pilots especially commercial airline pilots. It take years of training and education to fly a jet and make sure the people on your flight get to their destination in one piece. To operate a huge jumbo jet one has to be very skilled and alert. When they report something. I take notice. I never doubt the fly-boys. I also know when it's time to pass the mash potatoes and move along.
Comment icon #98 Posted by Hawkin on 9 November, 2014, 2:51
I never doubt the fly-boys. I also know when it's time to pass the mash potatoes and move along. People go about there daily lives doing their thing. But when they hear of this phenomena it's taboo to them. There are even cultures around the world that are in disbelieve that the human race lives on a sphere floating in space. I better eat my chicken tenders and fries before they get cold.
Comment icon #99 Posted by SolarPlexus on 9 November, 2014, 3:29
I thought cherenkov radiation, but after seeing the pics im not so sure....
Comment icon #100 Posted by MidnightLady on 13 November, 2014, 4:12
People go about there daily lives doing their thing. But when they hear of this phenomena it's taboo to them. There are even cultures around the world that are in disbelieve that the human race lives on a sphere floating in space. I better eat my chicken tenders and fries before they get cold. Ah, a giant Frisbee in space? Or perhaps a marble inside a small bottle attached to a cats collar! I rather fancy the latter since I have often thought we live on a large chessboard and the controllers are both humorous and deadly.
Comment icon #101 Posted by MrBene on 19 May, 2015, 1:21
Sorry for bumping but I'm still interested.
Comment icon #102 Posted by Shouldthisexist on 20 May, 2015, 15:49
I agree mrbene I just read this entire thread and realized how before I had never heard anything about it. There are so many good theories put fourth. I am dissapointed by the lack of investigating that followed this mystery. I am to the point where I feel like um should make it's own teams to investigate. There are plenty of well educated skeptics and free thinkers that we could do no worse than ancient aliens or that show fact or faked. In regards to the original thread is this a isolated incident or has this happened before like even similar event that we couldn't easily or reliably explain... [More]
Comment icon #103 Posted by aearluin on 20 May, 2015, 16:23
I am sure there is a perfectly natural explanation for these "lights" but they remind me of a personal experience i had with a "misterious light" last year. I am a biologist and was doing field work in the bijagós islands in Guinea-Bissau. These islands are sparcely populated and have virtually no electricity a part from a few rusty old engines. One night we were sitting by the sea and we just saw an enourmous light, something like a massive explosion far away in the distance. There was no sound associated with the light. This light, which started out yelow/whitish and then turned red as it di... [More]
Comment icon #104 Posted by stereologist on 20 May, 2015, 19:26
Comment icon #105 Posted by Catti-Brie on 22 May, 2015, 13:56
I've been periodically checking the pilot's personal site at www.pbase.com/flying_dutchman/pacific_eruption The pilot writes, "Received very interesting emails and information from Russian Kamchatka based scientists from the 'Distant school of Cosmic Meteo Tectonics......They suspect this might have something to do with so called 'earthquake lights' because of a strong electromagnetic interaction between the earths core and atmosphere." This May 10th, 2015 suggestion from a reader, "steve," was also something to think about: 10-May-2015 13:23 tsunami debris field with fukushima fuel on it. whe... [More]
Comment icon #106 Posted by stereologist on 22 May, 2015, 15:55
What sort of an explosion happened at Fukushima? They were hydrogen explosions right? The fuel was a gas. What is this person talking about? I think this person gets the idea that what the pilot saw was radioactivity at work. How odd!

Mystery object found on New Zealand beach
12-11-2016
A shaggy object covered from top to bottom in barnacles has washed up on Muriwai Beach in Auckland.
Face of Robert the Bruce has been revealed
12-10-2016
Scientists have put together a reconstruction of what the famous Scottish king would have looked like.
It is possible to taste garlic with your feet
12-10-2016
A bizarre science experiment has shown that you don't need to actually eat garlic in order to taste it.
What would a talking monkey sound like ?
12-10-2016
Scientists at Princeton University have simulated what an English-speaking macaque would sound like.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
How do urban bees find food ?
Posted 12-11-2016 | 1 comment
How do bees living in built-up areas manage to locate enough food for their hive ?

World's largest Rube Goldberg machine
Posted 12-10-2016 | 1 comment
This ludicrously convoluted contraption was used to turn on Christmas tree lights.

Why do some coins have ridges ?
Posted 12-9-2016 | 2 comments
What is the purpose of the ridges found around the edges of some coins ?

Exploding 6ft water balloon in slow motion
Posted 12-8-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film what happens when you sit inside a giant exploding water balloon.

What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Not my daughter