Thursday, March 22, 2018

World's wooliest sheep found in Tazmania

Posted on Wednesday, 27 August, 2014 | Comment icon 22 comments

Shaun is somewhat overdue for a hair cut. Image Credit: YouTube / The Telegraph
A sheep that hasn't been shorn for six years has so much wool that it can hardly see where it's going.
Discovered by two farmers, the comically overburdened sheep - which has been nicknamed Shaun after the popular children's TV character - is believed to have escaped from a farm in the east of Tasmania before spending six years wandering the wilds.

"He couldn't see very well because of the wool over his face, so I snuck up behind him and grabbed him," said farmer Peter Hazell. "Then Netty and I went and got the ute and put him in the back and brought him into the yard."

There is so much wool on the sheep in fact that its fleece weighs more than 20kg. The fact that it managed to survive for so long on its own with such a heavy coat is quite remarkable.

"It is the heaviest sheep I've ever lifted," said Netty Hazell. "I just couldn't believe it, I just could not believe a sheep could have so much wool."

Source: | Comments (22)

Tags: Sheep, Wool

Comment icon #13 Posted by OverSword on 28 August, 2014, 2:41
So sheep are dependent on humans to shear their wool? I guess I never really thought about it. If born and raised in the wild, sheep will be unable to see and live a rather ugly life. Usually when we think of an animal living without the human touch, we think of a much better lifestyle. But I guess, living blind and uncomfortable in the wild would still be better than becoming a human meal. So it would be better to be eaten alive by wolves or bears?That inner wool really looked nice though didn't it? I'd like a sweater mad from that lil guy.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Still Waters on 28 August, 2014, 11:21
Shaun the shaggy Aussie sheep finally shorn -
Comment icon #15 Posted by Myles on 28 August, 2014, 11:33
So it would be better to be eaten alive by wolves or bears? That inner wool really looked nice though didn't it? I'd like a sweater mad from that lil guy. I think having a chance to live free would be better than just waiting in line to be butchered. But sheep may not mind. I agree on the inner wool. Wow! that looked great.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Myles on 28 August, 2014, 11:35
Shaun the shaggy Aussie sheep finally shorn - Hope they kept the wool separate from other wool. I'm guessing they could sell it for more with the media coverage.
Comment icon #17 Posted by toyomotor on 28 August, 2014, 11:43
Yep, true. Shaun the Sheep has now been shorn and had a check up at the Vets. He's going to be kept as a pet.
Comment icon #18 Posted by seeder on 28 August, 2014, 11:50
Shaun the shaggy Aussie sheep finally shorn - wow 23.5 kilos of wool! I bet thats a weight of his ...back
Comment icon #19 Posted by Mantis914 on 28 August, 2014, 14:18
So now that makes him...
Comment icon #20 Posted by maximusnow on 28 August, 2014, 14:25
Comment icon #21 Posted by Dracona15 on 11 September, 2014, 14:06
I must obtain that wool O_O I shall have the warmest sweater ever!!
Comment icon #22 Posted by Arbenol on 12 September, 2014, 2:14
So Shrek still has the world record. Although I think the real record is how he managed go 6 years in New Zealand without being molested.

Stories, Sightings & Experiences
  Weird sounds on the phone?
 Featured Videos and Media
  Monkeys learn to socialize
  Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Could paint save us from a doomsday asteroid?
Rather than ramming or nuking a large space rock, scientists have suggested simply covering it in paint.
Did Triceratops use its horns to attract a mate ?
Scientists believe that dinosaurs like Triceratops may have used their horns to impress potential partners.
Mystery 'Cotswold cat shaver' strikes again
Several cat owners in Gloucestershire have reported having their pet felines shaved by an unknown individual.
Self-driving car kills pedestrian in Arizona
The accident marks the first time that a pedestrian has ever been killed by an autonomous vehicle.
Posted 3-22-2018 | 1 comment
A look at words that sound alike and are spelt the same, but that have different meanings.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA