Sunday, April 30, 2017

Real-life 'Jaws' closes beach in Australia

Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 | Comment icon 31 comments

Shark attacks have been on the rise in recent years. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Terry Goss
A massive shark measuring over 7 meters in length has been spotted off the coast of southern Australia.
The enormous great white, which is almost as big as the iconic shark from the classic Steven Spielberg horror movie 'Jaws', was spotted by the crew of a patrolling helicopter off Adelaide's Marino Rocks on Sunday afternoon.

"It's the biggest I've ever seen as a crew member in the Westpac chopper," one of the men was reported as saying. "We put it down as 7 meters the photo really doesn't do it justice."

Nearby beaches were evacuated and a junior Surf Life Saving event cancelled.

Helicopter crews are now working to herd the huge shark back out to sea.

Source: Sky News | Comments (31)

Tags: Shark, Jaws, Australia

Comment icon #22 Posted by ChrLzs on 25 January, 2016, 0:40
Reports exist for great whites as big as 11 metres*, and while there is some argument about how the lengths were measured, some photographic evidence apparently exists that supports those claims - I'll try to dig it up online. Given that largest *caught* was 6.4m, it is fair to speculate that the largest ones are somewhat larger than that.. * Klimley, Peter; Ainley, David (1996), Great White Sharks: The Biology of Carcharodon carcharias and Mollet, H. F. (2008), White Shark Summary Carcharodon carcharias
Comment icon #23 Posted by seax on 25 January, 2016, 3:00
Comment icon #24 Posted by ChrLzs on 25 January, 2016, 3:58
Check this out. This movie was taken by the Brazilian Coast Guard. I am not saying this is a Megaladon or even a shark, but it is impressive.... Hmmm. Another Youtube video that reinforces my opinion of that brothel. Note that they don't cite the footage. No names... Note that they also rule out a whale. As a bit of a marine biology nut, I'd love to hear them elaborate on how they did that.. (as for the lame bit about the fin allegedly being horizontal, gee, whales NEVER swim at a side angle.. oh wait yes they do). It's very low-res footage and adding that in would be dead easy. I'd like to kn... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by seax on 25 January, 2016, 21:01
Hmmm. Another Youtube video that reinforces my opinion of that brothel. Note that they don't cite the footage. No names... Note that they also rule out a whale. As a bit of a marine biology nut, I'd love to hear them elaborate on how they did that.. (as for the lame bit about the fin allegedly being horizontal, gee, whales NEVER swim at a side angle.. oh wait yes they do). It's very low-res footage and adding that in would be dead easy. I'd like to know more about it's source, and perhaps hear the testimony of those involved in the rescue.. BTW, the footage looks an awful lot like other footag... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by Misanthropic on 27 January, 2016, 5:41
LOL...sorry...my mistake....I need to put my glasses on....it said seven not seventeen....I will stand in the corner for 30 minutes to make up for my blunder... i'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.. seax Yikes, you're right. That's what i get for trying to speed read when i clearly don't have that ability. M'eh either way, big damn shark!
Comment icon #27 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 27 January, 2016, 6:30
Check this out. This movie was taken by the Brazilian Coast Guard. I am not saying this is a Megaladon or even a shark, but it is impressive....See for yourself. seax That's from the discovery channel mockumentry Megalodon: The monster shark lives. 45:16 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1c51na_shark-week-2013-megalodon-the-monster-shark-lives-discovery-animals-nature-documentary_animals
Comment icon #28 Posted by ChrLzs on 27 January, 2016, 11:44
Well done, IN1.. And here is the public reaction: http://www.thewire.c...ing-them/68028/ The Discovery channel should be taken off air for this sort of utter crap - this ain't the first time. How can they live with themselves creating this bull excrement??? It is clearly intended to deceive, gets eagerly swallowed up by the gullible and then repeated far and wide, wasting our bloody time. I feel like sending these effin' morons a bill for my wasted time.. Did they really think this was just a funny joke? This sort of stuff makes me LIVID. May I suggest that anyone who feels similarly, sends a ... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by DieChecker on 28 January, 2016, 6:48
Check this out. This movie was taken by the Brazilian Coast Guard. I am not saying this is a Megaladon or even a shark, but it is impressive....See for yourself. seax That's from the discovery channel mockumentry Megalodon: The monster shark lives. 45:16 http://www.dailymoti...mentary_animals Yeah. I thought I rememebered seeing that the video seax linked to was a fake. Just like those mermaid videos. Parts of those mocumentaries get onto the net and confuse a great number of people.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 28 January, 2016, 6:53
Yeah. I thought I rememebered seeing that the video seax linked to was a fake. Just like those mermaid videos. Parts of those mocumentaries get onto the net and confuse a great number of people. At least the one on dragons they did first almost everybody understood to be fake. ALMOST everybody....
Comment icon #31 Posted by seax on 30 January, 2016, 13:27
The discovery Channels seems to be working hard to lose a lot of credibility. I saw part of the Megaladon video where they were fishing and jaws sunk the ship and when I realized it was a bunch of hype I switched channels, I never saw all the 'documentary' wink ....wink...and I guess that video I posted was in that movie. Thanks for the correction. seax

Virgin Galactic to initiate flights in 2018
4-30-2017
Richard Branson's fledgling space tourism firm is aiming to begin flying tourists in to space next year.
Joint life-seeking Europa mission proposed
4-30-2017
A new proposal has been put forward to send a spacecraft to look for signs of alien life on Europa.
Did Vikings bury, cremate 'dead' houses ?
4-30-2017
There is evidence to suggest that Viking longhouses were 'buried' by being covered in mounds of Earth.
Real-life Iron Man shows off suit in Vancouver
4-29-2017
The inventor of the impressive flying suit demonstrated his creation at this week's TED conference.
Slow motion destruction
Posted 4-30-2017 | 0 comments
Gav returns with a video showing wanton destruction in glorious slow motion.

Giant Rolo
Posted 4-29-2017 | 1 comment
Barry and James create the world's largest Rolo using piles and piles of chocolate.

Gliding leaf frogs
Posted 4-28-2017 | 0 comments
These remarkable amphibians use their webbed feet to help them glide through the air.

Venus flytrap anemone
Posted 4-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at one particularly unusual creature which lives down at the bottom of the ocean.

Lightning seen from space
Posted 4-26-2017 | 0 comments
Astronaut Thomas Pesquet captured this footage from the International Space Station.

Is the Boar Man real ?
4-26-2017 | Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Possessed boom box 1988
4-26-2017 | Santa Ana

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles