Friday, July 1, 2016

Real-life 'Jaws' closes beach in Australia

Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 | Comment icon 31 comments

Shark attacks have been on the rise in recent years. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Terry Goss
A massive shark measuring over 7 meters in length has been spotted off the coast of southern Australia.
The enormous great white, which is almost as big as the iconic shark from the classic Steven Spielberg horror movie 'Jaws', was spotted by the crew of a patrolling helicopter off Adelaide's Marino Rocks on Sunday afternoon.

"It's the biggest I've ever seen as a crew member in the Westpac chopper," one of the men was reported as saying. "We put it down as 7 meters the photo really doesn't do it justice."

Nearby beaches were evacuated and a junior Surf Life Saving event cancelled.

Helicopter crews are now working to herd the huge shark back out to sea.

Source: Sky News | Comments (31)

Tags: Shark, Jaws, Australia

Comment icon #22 Posted by ChrLzs on 25 January, 2016, 0:40
Reports exist for great whites as big as 11 metres*, and while there is some argument about how the lengths were measured, some photographic evidence apparently exists that supports those claims - I'll try to dig it up online. Given that largest *caught* was 6.4m, it is fair to speculate that the largest ones are somewhat larger than that.. * Klimley, Peter; Ainley, David (1996), Great White Sharks: The Biology of Carcharodon carcharias and Mollet, H. F. (2008), White Shark Summary Carcharodon carcharias
Comment icon #23 Posted by seax on 25 January, 2016, 3:00
Comment icon #24 Posted by ChrLzs on 25 January, 2016, 3:58
Check this out. This movie was taken by the Brazilian Coast Guard. I am not saying this is a Megaladon or even a shark, but it is impressive.... Hmmm. Another Youtube video that reinforces my opinion of that brothel. Note that they don't cite the footage. No names... Note that they also rule out a whale. As a bit of a marine biology nut, I'd love to hear them elaborate on how they did that.. (as for the lame bit about the fin allegedly being horizontal, gee, whales NEVER swim at a side angle.. oh wait yes they do). It's very low-res footage and adding that in would be dead easy. I'd like to kn... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by seax on 25 January, 2016, 21:01
Hmmm. Another Youtube video that reinforces my opinion of that brothel. Note that they don't cite the footage. No names... Note that they also rule out a whale. As a bit of a marine biology nut, I'd love to hear them elaborate on how they did that.. (as for the lame bit about the fin allegedly being horizontal, gee, whales NEVER swim at a side angle.. oh wait yes they do). It's very low-res footage and adding that in would be dead easy. I'd like to know more about it's source, and perhaps hear the testimony of those involved in the rescue.. BTW, the footage looks an awful lot like other footag... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by Misanthropic on 27 January, 2016, 5:41
LOL...sorry...my mistake....I need to put my glasses on....it said seven not seventeen....I will stand in the corner for 30 minutes to make up for my blunder... i'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.. seax Yikes, you're right. That's what i get for trying to speed read when i clearly don't have that ability. M'eh either way, big damn shark!
Comment icon #27 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 27 January, 2016, 6:30
Check this out. This movie was taken by the Brazilian Coast Guard. I am not saying this is a Megaladon or even a shark, but it is impressive....See for yourself. seax That's from the discovery channel mockumentry Megalodon: The monster shark lives. 45:16 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1c51na_shark-week-2013-megalodon-the-monster-shark-lives-discovery-animals-nature-documentary_animals
Comment icon #28 Posted by ChrLzs on 27 January, 2016, 11:44
Well done, IN1.. And here is the public reaction: http://www.thewire.c...ing-them/68028/ The Discovery channel should be taken off air for this sort of utter crap - this ain't the first time. How can they live with themselves creating this bull excrement??? It is clearly intended to deceive, gets eagerly swallowed up by the gullible and then repeated far and wide, wasting our bloody time. I feel like sending these effin' morons a bill for my wasted time.. Did they really think this was just a funny joke? This sort of stuff makes me LIVID. May I suggest that anyone who feels similarly, sends a ... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by DieChecker on 28 January, 2016, 6:48
Check this out. This movie was taken by the Brazilian Coast Guard. I am not saying this is a Megaladon or even a shark, but it is impressive....See for yourself. seax That's from the discovery channel mockumentry Megalodon: The monster shark lives. 45:16 http://www.dailymoti...mentary_animals Yeah. I thought I rememebered seeing that the video seax linked to was a fake. Just like those mermaid videos. Parts of those mocumentaries get onto the net and confuse a great number of people.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 28 January, 2016, 6:53
Yeah. I thought I rememebered seeing that the video seax linked to was a fake. Just like those mermaid videos. Parts of those mocumentaries get onto the net and confuse a great number of people. At least the one on dragons they did first almost everybody understood to be fake. ALMOST everybody....
Comment icon #31 Posted by seax on 30 January, 2016, 13:27
The discovery Channels seems to be working hard to lose a lot of credibility. I saw part of the Megaladon video where they were fishing and jaws sunk the ship and when I realized it was a bunch of hype I switched channels, I never saw all the 'documentary' wink ....wink...and I guess that video I posted was in that movie. Thanks for the correction. seax

Hole in the ozone layer is starting to heal
7-1-2016
A large hole in the Earth's protective ozone layer is finally starting to show signs of healing up.
Man swims in 1,500-gallon pool of Coca-Cola
6-30-2016
The remarkable stunt saw a man jump in to a pool filled with several thousand bottles of fizzy drink.
Disclosure advocate releases NORAD UFO files
6-30-2016
Victor Viggiani released the documents to the public during the Alien Cosmic Expo event on Saturday.
Scientists succeed in making their own lava
6-29-2016
A team from the State University of New York at Buffalo created their own magma as part of an experiment.
Can supercomputers predict the future ?
Posted 7-1-2016 | 1 comment
What can you actually do with one hundred million billion calculations per second ?

Tim Peake back on Earth
Posted 6-29-2016 | 1 comment
An interview with astronaut Tim Peake about his time aboard the space station.

How MythBusters saved a woman's life
Posted 6-27-2016 | 3 comments
A woman whose car careened in to a lake was saved by an episode of MythBusters.

Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 4 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah