Monday, September 26, 2016

Virgin Galactic reveals its new spaceship

Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2016 | Comment icon 20 comments

The vehicle was unveiled at a high-profile press event. Image Credit: YouTube / Virgin Galactic
Just 16 months after the loss of its predecessor, Virgin's new spaceship 'VSS Unity' has been revealed.
Virgin Galactic founder Sir Richard Branson was on hand yesterday at an event at the company's factory in Mojave, California to celebrate the unveiling of its latest creation - the VSS Unity - which also happens to be the first spaceship constructed by Virginís own in-house design team.

"Itís almost too good to be true, isnít it ?" Branson said at the event. "Iíve always believed that having the best-looking planes and trains in the world, while not a guarantee, is a good place to start."

The new vehicle replaces Virgin's previous suborbital spaceplane - the VSS Enterprise - which was lost during an ill-fated test flight which resulted in the death of a pilot back in November 2014.

While the VSS Unity will still need to go through several years of testing, its reveal has confirmed Virgin Galactic's continued dedication to offering the world's first commercial space flight service.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (20)

Tags: Virgin Galactic, SpaceShipTwo

Comment icon #11 Posted by skookum on 21 February, 2016, 12:15
Apparently, almost $400 million has been invested in the Virgin space plane. With six passengers per flight and at $0.25 million per ticket, the revenue from each launch will be $1.5 million. Assuming a 20% profit per flight ($0.3 million), there will need to be well over one thousand flights to break even. Obviously more than one space plane will be needed. But I guess it is optimism like that which has made Richard Branson so successful! And ideally 1000 flights free of any major incident.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Goodnite on 21 February, 2016, 14:28
That craft is one sexy beast.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Derek Willis on 21 February, 2016, 16:09
I would love to be a passenger someday, but not on the first, second or even third passenger flights. Maybe the 4th. Have the interest, but kind-of-a weenie with heights. Having no fear of heights is only one of the qualities required to become a Virgin Galactic astronaut - the other is having $0.25 million for a two hour thrill ride.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Derek Willis on 21 February, 2016, 16:14
Comment icon #15 Posted by joonmoon999 on 22 February, 2016, 15:07
Here I go!
Comment icon #16 Posted by DieChecker on 26 February, 2016, 11:42
There are almost 128,000 members of UM. We should crowd fund a flight on the Virgin Galactic space plane. All it would require is $2 each. I can think of one UM member who is very much qualified to be that astronaut ... Except only about 75 of them have over 100 posts and have come back for more then a month. EDIT: Actually there are about 1000 members who have over 1000 posts..... DANG!!!
Comment icon #17 Posted by Derek Willis on 26 February, 2016, 12:42
Except only about 75 of them have over 100 posts and have come back for more then a month. EDIT: Actually there are about 1000 members who have over 1000 posts..... DANG!!! Yeah, unfortunately that means $250 each. I somehow can't see it happening.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 26 February, 2016, 13:22
Comment icon #19 Posted by Derek Willis on 27 February, 2016, 11:05
If I sold my home I could afford a ticket... but I don't think my landlords would like it. You should go for it. You could tell your former landlords how honored they will be to have an astronaut as a former tenant. That may mitigate the sentencing of your fraud trial. Inspired by your suggestion, I have a plan. My wife knows it was a childhood ambition of mine to be an astronaut. I am building up the courage to tell her that if we move into a tent, she will have helped me fulfill my ambition.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 27 February, 2016, 11:45
it was a childhood ambition of mine to be an astronaut. Mine too, once I had decided I didn't want to be a train driver.

We are all living in a directionless universe
9-26-2016
A new study has revealed that, in all likelihood, the universe is expanding equally in all directions.
Is the Voynich manuscript an elaborate hoax ?
9-25-2016
Cryptographers have been attempting to decipher the text's mysterious symbols and diagrams for decades.
Police in Russia 'arrest' activist robot
9-25-2016
Police officers attempted to handcuff the contraption while it was recording data about voter opinions.
Pluto may have an ocean over 100km deep
9-24-2016
Scientists believe that the dwarf planet's interior may be filled with large quantities of liquid water.
Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Meet the human torch
Posted 9-24-2016 | 0 comments
Josef Toedtling from Austria has made a successful career out of setting himself on fire.

Real plutonium
Posted 9-23-2016 | 0 comments
A rare look at some of the different plutonium compounds stored at the National Nuclear Laboratory.

Cute but deadly
Posted 9-22-2016 | 4 comments
A look at some animals which might look cute but can still harm you if you aren't careful.

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL

Blackout? Possession?
9-1-2016 | Canada

Golden ring eyes
8-29-2016 | USA

Shared grief experience
8-29-2016 | Scotland, UK

Sleep paralysis and leaving body
8-29-2016 | California