Thursday, January 19, 2017

Virgin Galactic reveals its new spaceship

Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2016 | Comment icon 20 comments

The vehicle was unveiled at a high-profile press event. Image Credit: YouTube / Virgin Galactic
Just 16 months after the loss of its predecessor, Virgin's new spaceship 'VSS Unity' has been revealed.
Virgin Galactic founder Sir Richard Branson was on hand yesterday at an event at the company's factory in Mojave, California to celebrate the unveiling of its latest creation - the VSS Unity - which also happens to be the first spaceship constructed by Virginís own in-house design team.

"Itís almost too good to be true, isnít it ?" Branson said at the event. "Iíve always believed that having the best-looking planes and trains in the world, while not a guarantee, is a good place to start."

The new vehicle replaces Virgin's previous suborbital spaceplane - the VSS Enterprise - which was lost during an ill-fated test flight which resulted in the death of a pilot back in November 2014.

While the VSS Unity will still need to go through several years of testing, its reveal has confirmed Virgin Galactic's continued dedication to offering the world's first commercial space flight service.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (20)

Tags: Virgin Galactic, SpaceShipTwo

Comment icon #11 Posted by skookum on 21 February, 2016, 12:15
Apparently, almost $400 million has been invested in the Virgin space plane. With six passengers per flight and at $0.25 million per ticket, the revenue from each launch will be $1.5 million. Assuming a 20% profit per flight ($0.3 million), there will need to be well over one thousand flights to break even. Obviously more than one space plane will be needed. But I guess it is optimism like that which has made Richard Branson so successful! And ideally 1000 flights free of any major incident.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Goodnite on 21 February, 2016, 14:28
That craft is one sexy beast.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Derek Willis on 21 February, 2016, 16:09
I would love to be a passenger someday, but not on the first, second or even third passenger flights. Maybe the 4th. Have the interest, but kind-of-a weenie with heights. Having no fear of heights is only one of the qualities required to become a Virgin Galactic astronaut - the other is having $0.25 million for a two hour thrill ride.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Derek Willis on 21 February, 2016, 16:14
Comment icon #15 Posted by joonmoon999 on 22 February, 2016, 15:07
Here I go!
Comment icon #16 Posted by DieChecker on 26 February, 2016, 11:42
There are almost 128,000 members of UM. We should crowd fund a flight on the Virgin Galactic space plane. All it would require is $2 each. I can think of one UM member who is very much qualified to be that astronaut ... Except only about 75 of them have over 100 posts and have come back for more then a month. EDIT: Actually there are about 1000 members who have over 1000 posts..... DANG!!!
Comment icon #17 Posted by Derek Willis on 26 February, 2016, 12:42
Except only about 75 of them have over 100 posts and have come back for more then a month. EDIT: Actually there are about 1000 members who have over 1000 posts..... DANG!!! Yeah, unfortunately that means $250 each. I somehow can't see it happening.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 26 February, 2016, 13:22
Comment icon #19 Posted by Derek Willis on 27 February, 2016, 11:05
If I sold my home I could afford a ticket... but I don't think my landlords would like it. You should go for it. You could tell your former landlords how honored they will be to have an astronaut as a former tenant. That may mitigate the sentencing of your fraud trial. Inspired by your suggestion, I have a plan. My wife knows it was a childhood ambition of mine to be an astronaut. I am building up the courage to tell her that if we move into a tent, she will have helped me fulfill my ambition.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 27 February, 2016, 11:45
it was a childhood ambition of mine to be an astronaut. Mine too, once I had decided I didn't want to be a train driver.

Namibia fairy circle mystery solved at last ?
1-19-2017
Ecologists believe that they may have finally solved the mystery behind Namibia's mysterious circles.
Yellow-haired moth named after Donald Trump
1-19-2017
A new species of tiny moth with a wingspan of just 0.4 inches has been named after the President-elect.
60% of primate species are facing extinction
1-18-2017
A worrying new study has shown just how vulnerable many of the world's primate species actually are.
CIA uploads millions of declassified files
1-18-2017
The documents cover everything from UFO sightings to government-backed remote viewing experiments.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
The future of warfare
Posted 1-19-2017 | 2 comments
Drone armies and laser cannons may become increasingly common in the near future.

Kowloon Walled City
Posted 1-18-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what was once the most densely populated area on the surface of the planet.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Washing machine throwing
Posted 1-14-2017 | 8 comments
Two strongmen battle it out to see who can throw a washing machine the furthest.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland