Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Scientists have discovered 'grey hair gene'

Posted on Thursday, 3 March, 2016 | Comment icon 21 comments

For most of us, grey hair is a sign that we are getting older. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Jorge Royan
The find could make it possible to slow down or even prevent our hair from going grey as we get older.
Nobody likes going grey, but while a bottle of hair dye can help to mask this inevitable sign of aging, scientists have found something that could eventually lead to a permanent solution to the problem.

The research involved collecting and analyzing DNA samples from 6,000 volunteers spread across several continents in an attempt to find the gene responsible for causing hair to lose its color.

"We already know several genes involved in balding and hair color but this is the first time a gene for greying has been identified in humans, as well as other genes influencing hair shape and density," said lead author Dr Kaustubh Adhikari. "It was only possible because we analyzed a diverse melting pot of people, which hasn't been done before on this scale."

While the gene's discovery is certainly a good start, scientists believe that there are many other genetic and environmental factors responsible for hair turning grey as we age.

"The genes we have identified are unlikely to work in isolation to cause greying hair... but have a role to play along with many other factors yet to be identified," said Dr Adhikari.

Source: BBC News | Comments (21)

Tags: Grey Hair, Aging

Comment icon #12 Posted by White Unicorn on 3 March, 2016, 19:40
Neat. But I'll stick with going grey gracefully. I'm with you. I streaked my hair when young. My genes gave me a beautiful silver. Since I'm frugal and have people say "my, your streaked highlights are amazing and beautiful what hair dresser did it?" I don't fake colors anymore
Comment icon #13 Posted by WoIverine on 3 March, 2016, 19:52
I wouldn't want to be immortal, just let me live 1,000 years and I would be happy with that. You and me both, I could dig living a millennium or two, granted everything else didn't fall apart around me.
Comment icon #14 Posted by gwa125 on 3 March, 2016, 21:12
I've been going grey now for 3 years and am not far from overtaking my mother and father.
Comment icon #15 Posted by DLE on 3 March, 2016, 23:09
A grey horse is as good as a black horse... But there's something wrong with a bald one.
Comment icon #16 Posted by coolguy on 4 March, 2016, 5:49
I hate my grey hair,i hve very little of it i started geting it in my 20's
Comment icon #17 Posted by Morning_Bird on 4 March, 2016, 6:57
I love gray hair and I think it's very cool and beautiful. I would love for my hair to grow out gray or white.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Derek Willis on 4 March, 2016, 9:55
My process of going grey was rather bizarre. When I was young my hair was black. I then started getting streaks of ginger. My wife was horrified (my apologies to any ginger people out there) and then those streaks turned white, leaving my hair grey. I wonder if scientists will discover the wrinkle gene next.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Absinthe on 5 March, 2016, 5:05
My girlfriend keeps yanking mine out
Comment icon #20 Posted by NoNickname90 on 8 March, 2016, 20:41
Comment icon #21 Posted by Aftermath on 10 March, 2016, 18:27
I'm wondering why our hair color isn't as vibrant as I would see in anime (Japanese cartoons). It's like there's this spectrum of possible colors. Why hasn't that changed? I mean, what does grey hair mean for us, as a human? That question is me thinking in the mindset that a gene is there to help, though I know there are some that are 'just there'. Just my mind wondering. I think that is an excellent question. Funnily, perhaps it is an indicator like we see in Logan's Run. I wonder...

Mystery still surrounds UFO over Oregon
11-21-2017
Back in October, aviation authorities investigated an unidentified aircraft flying over the West Coast.
Interstellar visitor is red and very dark
11-21-2017
An asteroid thought to have come from interstellar space is carrying organic carbon-based molecules.
Could dust have carried alien life to Earth ?
11-20-2017
Scientists believe that interstellar dust streams might be able to transfer organisms between planets.
Big earthquakes to occur more often in 2018
11-20-2017
A periodic slowing of the rotation of the Earth is likely to result in an upsurge in earthquakes next year.
What do we know of the giant squid ?
Posted 11-20-2017 | 1 comment
The giant squid is so elusive that it took until 2004 for someone to photograph a live specimen.

Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Caving claustrophobia
Posted 11-10-2017 | 12 comments
A montage of shots from caving in some of the most cramped conditions on Earth.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia