Saturday, September 23, 2017

Scottish police baffled by 'poltergeist' case

Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2016 | Comment icon 22 comments

What could explain the mysterious events occurring at the property ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
A series of paranormal disturbances at a house in South Lanarkshire have been investigated by the police.
According to reports, a mother and her teenage son had been left "extremely distressed" after a series of "violent and unexplained" events at their house had forced them to reach out for help.

Police officers attending the scene had initially believed the case to be a mental health issue, but after experiencing the phenomenon for themselves they were so flabbergasted that they actually ended up calling the Catholic Church for assistance.

"The officers attended expecting it to be a mental health issue but they witnessed the lights going off, clothes flying across the room and the dog [the family's Chihuahua] sitting on top of a hedge," said a police source. "The officers called their superiors, who also attended, thinking the cops were perhaps being a bit silly. But it's being taken very seriously."

The mother and son have since left the house to go and stay with relatives while reports indicate that a priest has also visited the property to conduct a blessing.

"Officers with more than 20 years' service are saying they've never seen anything like this," said the police source. "It really is something that down-to-earth police officers are having trouble getting their heads round."

"How do you handle what, despite us liking to use the word, has been described as a poltergeist ?"

Source: Telegraph | Comments (22)

Tags: Poltergeist, Ghost

Comment icon #13 Posted by Calibeliever on 18 August, 2016, 13:23
I would say there is a TON of evidence. What we don't have is proof:repeatable, scientificexperimentation that produces consistent results. After nearly 30 years ofavocational study I'm not so inclined as you to label everyone who's had experiences as "gullible", though I remain askeptic.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Atheist Pope on 19 August, 2016, 3:08
Evidence isn't the right word to use in these cases as they're never repeatable empirically under strict conditions; hence, real scientists won't even waste their time on this pseudo-science garbage. As we all intuitively know, ghosts don't exist anywhere except for in Hollywood movies. However, I'm open to shifting my viewpoint should actual evidence arise and convice me of my ignorance.
Comment icon #15 Posted by highdesert50 on 19 August, 2016, 17:51
A mean spirit or simply a mean prank? Why is it that these spirits are always so messy, tossing things about. Can we not find a spirit who cleans the house?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Calibeliever on 19 August, 2016, 18:37
It's a matter of semantics of course, but a verbal story is evidence. It's admissible in a court of law when attempting to "prove" guilt or innocence. Photographs are also evidence even though their authenticity or contentcan be questioned. In a non-scientific setting a "preponderance of evidence" is usually sufficient as "proof" but science is a little more demanding. I don't intuitively know that ghosts don't exist. To me it's more of a question of what a ghost actually is. I believe there are enough unexplained phenomenon that it warrants continued investigation and maybe someday we'll hav... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Myles on 19 August, 2016, 20:06
The lack of video is damning.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Gecks on 19 August, 2016, 23:13
Maybe they should just send Joe Nickell there, I think you will get a scientific explanation pretty quickly
Comment icon #19 Posted by Jungleboogie on 20 August, 2016, 4:59
For ages this idea has been proclaimed in the consummately wise teachings of religion, probably not alone as a means of insuring peace and harmony among men, but as a deeply founded truth. The Buddhist expresses it in one way, the Christian in another, but both say the same: We are all one. Metaphysical proofs are, however, not the only ones which we are able to bring forth in support of this idea. Science, too, recognizes this connectedness of separate individuals, though not quite in the same sense as it admits that the suns, planets, and moons of a constellation are one body, and there can ... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by Mark56 on 21 August, 2016, 3:18
I think I would've had a mixture of fascination andfright if this happened to me;but hey ,when they put the Chihuahua on the hedge, Man,That wasit! You'remessing with family now! (I have 2 Chihuahuas sitting with me as I blog). I would've declared war.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Duck33 on 21 August, 2016, 10:14
So far the only evidence we have of 'paranormal' activity in this story are third hand anecdotes from a newspaper. I looked at the picture of the '7ft' hedge the tiny dog ended up ontop of, pretty sure I could get one up there without raising too much of a fuss.
Comment icon #22 Posted by NiteMarcher on 21 August, 2016, 20:03

Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY