Thursday, August 17, 2017

4,000-year-old structure found in Galilee

Posted on Monday, 6 March, 2017 | Comment icon 14 comments

The discovery was made in the hills of Galilee. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 James Emery
Archaeologists have discovered an ancient table-like stone structure inscribed with mysterious artwork.
The intriguing dolmen, which is believed to date back over 4,000 years, was found near Kibbutz Shamir in Upper Galilee by Professor Gonen Sharon of Tel Hai College's Galilee Studies Program.

"What makes this dolmen so unique is its huge dimensions, the structure surrounding it, and most importantly, the artistic decorations engraved in its ceiling," the Antiquities Authority has stated.

Thousands of dolmens ( single-chamber megalithic tombs typically surrounded by piles of stones ) have been discovered across the Middle East over the years.

"The engraved shapes depict a straight line going to the center of an arc," said study partner Uri Berger. "No parallels exist for these shapes in the engraved rock drawings of the Middle East and their significance remains a mystery."

Source: Jerusalem Post | Comments (14)

Tags: Stone, Galilee

Comment icon #5 Posted by Stiff on 6 March, 2017, 20:35

Comment icon #6 Posted by Stiff on 6 March, 2017, 20:36
Couple more pics in this one... http://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel/4000-years-old-mysterious-tomb-with-rock-art-exposed-in-upper-galilee/2017/03/05/
Comment icon #7 Posted by ROGER on 6 March, 2017, 21:13
Strange thing . I used to play inside a similar rock formation when I was a little kid . It's still on our old farm in Southern Wisconsin U.S. As for the so called writings . To me it looks like a crude map . A long river with 14 tree's . As good a guess as any .
Comment icon #8 Posted by docyabut2 on 6 March, 2017, 23:45

Comment icon #9 Posted by lightly on 7 March, 2017, 2:25
Thanks, interesting...  I guess the size makes this one special. I suppose the engravings could have been done longggg after it's erection.   .... ? it's also interesting how  VERY  widespread, and long lived, Dolmen construction was across Europe..Scandinavia, the Middle East, and into Southeast Asia......and many other places I can't remember.
Comment icon #10 Posted by docyabut2 on 7 March, 2017, 2:48
Comment icon #11 Posted by coolguy on 7 March, 2017, 3:37
Very cool find
Comment icon #12 Posted by DieChecker on 7 March, 2017, 4:35
I wonder if dolmens like this one were made in the same way all across Europe and Russia, or with a variety of techniques.
Comment icon #13 Posted by paperdyer on 7 March, 2017, 16:47
What I meant was we don't need one religion's translation of the drawings being the only presented one.  This is the same reason I wish a fresh translation of the Dead Sea Scrolls could happen.  Too many edits of edits.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Silent Trinity on 8 March, 2017, 9:35
A great find! Looking at the full article, the 3d model of the etchings / carvings do look fascinating, they are open to interpretation of course but it could indeed be as the article suggests, representations of the souls of the dead ascending to some heavenly plain, or you could interpret it other ways I guess. These are only what I have seen in it and by no means an educated analysis but it could indicate bows and arrows? Or even a shoal of fish? I don't know perhaps a little Pareidolia creeping in there lol. Fascinating nonetheless!

Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama