Friday, July 21, 2017

Older galaxies had a lot less dark matter

Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 | Comment icon 10 comments

Why did early galaxies have less dark matter ? Image Credit: NASA/CXC/M. Weiss
Scientists have discovered that dark matter played a much smaller role in galaxies in the early universe.
The study, which was led by astrophysicist Reinhard Genzel from the Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics, saw a team of astronomers using the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope in Chile to observe six large star-forming galaxies from the early universe.

Their findings suggested that dark matter was a lot less prevalent in the past than it is today.

Typical galaxies formed during the current era of the universe (such as the Milky Way) have an effective radius (the bright region from which half a galaxy's light is emitted) made up of 50-80% dark matter, whereas the older galaxies appeared to be comprised of as little as 10%.

Exactly why this should be the case remains unclear, however the scientists have suggested that one reason may be due to the fact that these earlier galaxies were subjected to more continuous inflows of normal matter than later galaxies, thus resulting in a lower proportion of dark matter.

These earlier galaxies were also thought to be lot more turbulent than their recent counterparts.

Source: Scientific American | Comments (10)

Tags: Dark Matter

Comment icon #1 Posted by Claire. on 17 March, 2017, 21:55

Comment icon #2 Posted by fred_mc on 18 March, 2017, 19:26
Interesting. I guess that Erik Verlinde's theory on emergent gravity, which I have found interesting, is wrong then because there would be no reason for dark matter to increase with time with that theory as far as I understand. Dark matter is one of the most fascinating things I know of since it is so ghostlike, invisible and doesn't interact with ordinary matter.
Comment icon #3 Posted by kartikg on 18 March, 2017, 22:44
can it be that dark matter came from a  different big bang?
Comment icon #4 Posted by fred_mc on 19 March, 2017, 7:17
Interesting idea. I think if the extra gravitation we attribute to dark matter would be coming from a parallel universe (perhaps from real matter in a parallel universe), the big bang for that parallel universe would be a separate big bang. I've seen in science documentaries that gravitons can according to string theory possibly pass through the membranes between parallel universes. However, when I google, I can see that scientists have already thought about the idea that the extra gravitation could come from a parallel universe rather than from dark matter in our universe, and discarded that ... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by kartikg on 19 March, 2017, 14:57
I am not aware of the gravitational effects diet to parallel universes, my thinking was like big bang within our own universe spewing out dark matter
Comment icon #6 Posted by fred_mc on 19 March, 2017, 15:16
Hmmm, I don't think it works like that. Big bang gave rise to space-time, which has been expanding since then. I don't think there can be another big bang inside of our universe since space-time is already here, another big bang would in that case give rise to another space-time, which would be another universe, I think. I think you're thinking about an explosion inside of our space-time/universe giving rise to dark matter but big bang is not an explosion inside of space-time but something giving rise to space-time itself, and its expansion.
Comment icon #7 Posted by kartikg on 19 March, 2017, 15:18
Yes I was thinking just like that explosion within an explosion.
Comment icon #8 Posted by aquatus1 on 21 March, 2017, 16:08
Is dark matter even a thing?  I was under the impression it was more or less a placeholder for a force we couldn't figure out.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 March, 2017, 17:59
Or, was it just as prevalent but not as condensed around galaxies yet?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 March, 2017, 18:03
It has always felt a bit like Newton's Aether to me.

Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Australia find 'rewrites the history books'
7-20-2017
Archaeologists now believe that Australia was colonized 18,000 years earlier than previously thought.
Top US general warns against killer robots
7-19-2017
General Paul Selva has spoken out about the dangers of creating fully autonomous weapon systems.
Frozen sausages land on house roof in Florida
7-19-2017
A family in South Florida were left perplexed this week after their house was hit by bags of frozen meat.
Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

The asteroid hunters
Posted 7-16-2017 | 1 comment
A look at ongoing efforts to detect and track potentially dangerous asteroids.

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.