Saturday, November 25, 2017

Police film 15 sharks near paddle-boarders

Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2017 | Comment icon 22 comments

Sharks are particularly numerous along the Californian coast. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Elias Levy
A police helicopter moved in to warn the group who had unwittingly ended up surrounded by great whites.
Footage of the close encounter, which was posted by the Orange County Sheriff's Department, shows how near the oblivious paddle-boarders were to becoming a shark's dinner.

"You are paddle-boarding next to approximately 15 great white sharks," Deputy Brian Stockbridge shouted over the loudspeaker. "They are advising you exit the water in a calm manner."

The Southern California coast is a particularly bad place for sharks, especially at this time of year.

Only last month, a woman was badly wounded after being bitten off San Onofre State Beach. Another woman was also bitten by a 10ft shark last year while swimming off Corona del Mar.

Fortunately in this case though the paddle-boarders all made it safely back to dry land.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (22)

Tags: Shark, California

Comment icon #13 Posted by Claire. on 12 May, 2017, 21:41
How cute! A group of adorable great white babies keeping safe in shallow waters and looking for a few stingrays to snack on.
Comment icon #14 Posted by ChaosRose on 13 May, 2017, 0:23
Yeah, that's a whole lotta nope right there. Nope to ever being past my ankles again.
Comment icon #15 Posted by DanL on 14 May, 2017, 0:32
LOL, small sharks, those under 7', live in the shallows and in the surf areas especially. I had a friend that was in the coast guard and they patrolled the beaches around Galveston in helicopters. He had pictures of the beaches and in many of them there were as many sharks in the surf as there were swimmers and on holidays that is a LOT of people and sharks. YET, shark bites are extremely rare. In all truth you are more likely to die from a lightning strike on a beach than a shark bite. About the only time anyone had a problem with a shark was when a fisherman tied his stringer to his belt and... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by trevorhbj on 14 May, 2017, 0:45
They say don't swim with sharks but I can't deny those paddle boards sure look kick a**. I remember when we used to run with our boards and skid out as far as we could before a wave would knock us down. "Shark!" we'd yell if someone slid into one.They were cool though.
Comment icon #17 Posted by DanL on 14 May, 2017, 2:48
I backed into a 6' or 7' sand shark one night when I was surf fishing. I had just cast and was going back to the beach. It was sort of a draw exactly who was most upset but when he slapped me in the butt with his tail I did a good imitation of Jesus walking on the water! I can cast over a hundred yards but when I stopped running my bait was on the beach. In general sharks are pretty nice critters. Cows kill more people than sharks.
Comment icon #18 Posted by BeastieRunner on 15 May, 2017, 17:08
Or was it more like a Looney Toons character?
Comment icon #19 Posted by WoIverine on 15 May, 2017, 17:52
Check this guy out: Now that's how it's done.
Comment icon #20 Posted by quiXilver on 15 May, 2017, 17:57
I've swum with thousands of sharks and never once been nervous around them, but backing into one? I would have veritably levitated out of that water... yikes! I've had a few intense encounters underwater. Like I said, I've swum with countless sharks and not felt threatened, but I still vividly recall encountering the menacing stare of one lone 'cuda in Cayman waters. That cuda stared at me and kept her nose pointed at me from the time I noticed her, until I was out of view... in those waters, visibility is about 100 meters, I gave her very, very wide berth and much respect. Pure menace seem... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by DanL on 15 May, 2017, 21:05
Like so many things, ignorance breeds fear and a little informationbrings interest and understanding.
Comment icon #22 Posted by third_eye on 15 May, 2017, 22:44
I think that's the rope ladder variation of Muhammad Ali's Rope a Dope ... ~

Unique moth species looks like a hummingbird
11-24-2017
Sightings of a particularly unusual type of moth are becoming increasingly common across the British Isles.
Mysterious loud booms heard across the world
11-24-2017
The deafening sounds, which have been heard in dozens of locations this year, remain unexplained.
Dolly the sheep had no health abnormalities
11-23-2017
A new study has indicated that the famous cloned sheep had not suffered from any abnormal health issues.
Mars liquid water discovery cast in to doubt
11-23-2017
Dark streaks on the Martian surface thought to be evidence of water may actually be little more than sand.
The rainbow turkey
Posted 11-23-2017 | 1 comment
This turkey has gorgeous iridescent feathers but you won't be eating it for Thanksgiving.

What do we know of the giant squid ?
Posted 11-20-2017 | 1 comment
The giant squid is so elusive that it took until 2004 for someone to photograph a live specimen.

Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia