Sunday, September 24, 2017

Is the human tongue able to 'taste' water ?

Posted on Wednesday, 14 June, 2017 | Comment icon 42 comments

What does water actually taste like ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Charity: water
New research has suggested that we can actually taste water and that it has a distinctly sour flavor.
A drink of clean, fresh water will typically taste of nothing at all, a view that has been held for thousands of years with even Aristotle referring to it as "tasteless" as far back as 330 B.C.E.

Some types of animals however, such as insects and amphibians, are known to have nerve cells capable of tasting water and more recently there has been growing evidence to suggest that mammals, including humans, may actually possess this ability as well.

In a series of recent experiments conducted by researchers at Caltech University, California, it was discovered that in mice, the taste sensors for sour were being stimulated when they drank water.

A second experiment using a technique known as optogenetics to stimulate those sour cells using light rather than a liquid also indicated that they had come to associate that taste with water.

"The tongue can detect various key nutrient factors, called tastants - such as sodium, sugar, and amino acids - through taste, however, how we sense water in the mouth was unknown," said Assistant professor of biology, Yuki Oka.

"Many insect species are known to 'taste' water, so we imagined that mammals also might have a machinery in the taste system for water detection."

Source: Science Magazine | Comments (42)

Tags: Water, Tongue

Comment icon #33 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:11
Do you know of Nakusp. I lived west of town. It`s funny the guy in the video is called Jeff, thats my name damn it.
Comment icon #34 Posted by .ZZ. on 16 June, 2017, 16:34
Megs looks like a nice person though.
Comment icon #35 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 17:33
I thought the funny part was when the dog found the source of the hot sping stepped in burnt his foot then tryed drinking from it lol I know that sounds mean but it`s like watching your buddy do something really stupid and gets hurt. Ok that sounds mean too but who doesn`t laugh at first and then go, you ok. Cleanest water ever just don`t fall in it`s berrrr I use to eat alot of snow too.
Comment icon #36 Posted by WoIverine on 16 June, 2017, 17:33
Anyone ever looked into the Ph of bottled waters? It's pretty interesting. I guess some prefer alkaline, while others don't really pay much attention to it. Alkaline water (Fiji water) gives me raging heartburn for some reason, which is really weird.
Comment icon #37 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 17:39
It`s almost like you just can`t trust water anymore. I have read up on bottled water and your right, most of it is just tap water. Hope it`s not from Flint Michigan.
Comment icon #38 Posted by glorybebe on 16 June, 2017, 19:05
I lived in both Nelson and Castlegar. I grew up in the Kootenays. I am now in the Okanagan, but really miss the Kootenays. Best water straight from the ground
Comment icon #39 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 20:28
Oh wow I like Nelson but it`s been awhile. I hear they have a Wallmart now lol. The best water is the water filtered through moss, sure you get bit`s in your mouth but you know it`s clean. Oh and watch out for bear turds, that tastes yucky. Don`t ask how I know that Castlegar that`s on crystal lake right, well not on it but you know what I meen. If I`m right there is some awsome cliff diving there or jumping. I was to scared to dive.
Comment icon #40 Posted by glorybebe on 17 June, 2017, 0:11
The Arrow Lakes. Instead of left to Nelson from the valley, you would turn right. We always had such nice clear water there
Comment icon #41 Posted by The Silver Thong on 17 June, 2017, 5:30
Hey I didn`t know that. I thought Castlegar was closer to Trail. Nakusp is in th upper Arrow Lakes. I know but I hope to live there again one day. My folks still live there. I try to go often as I can but I have a crappy car lol
Comment icon #42 Posted by glorybebe on 17 June, 2017, 5:37
If you haven't been there for a while, Castlegar has really grown. It is before Trail. The loop of three cities: Nelson, Castlegar and Trail. I wouldn't live near Trail with Cominco there dumping intothe river . Nakusp being at the North end is not only quieter, but cleaner. When I would go hiking in the Valley, we would drink right out of the creeks and rivers. They were so fresh

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY