Sunday, September 24, 2017

Cats were first domesticated 9,000 years ago

Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2017 | Comment icon 14 comments

Cats and humans have long lived alongside one another. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A major new study has revealed how cats went from wild animals to one of mankind's closest friends.
The study, which involved extracting mitochondrial DNA from 200 ancient cat remains, determined that domestication began 9,000 years ago and that cats were actually tamed not once, but twice.

"There were two taming events - one in the Near East at the beginning and one in Egypt much later," said lead researcher Eva-Maria Geigl. "And then the cat spread very efficiently all over the ancient world as a ship's cat. Both lineages are now present in modern cats."

"I would say cats chose human company, but it was a commensal relationship - it was profitable to both sides," said Dr Geigl.

A second wave of cat domestication occurred later in Egypt and the animals spread throughout Europe during the Roman era, eventually ending up all across the world.

Intriguingly, tabby cats appeared only in the Middle Ages and there is next to no evidence of selective breeding in domestic cats throughout most of their history.

"There was very little breeding and selection going on in cats up the 19th Century, in contrast with dogs," said Dr Geigl. "The cat was useful from the very beginning - it didn't have to be changed."

Today, there are thought to be between 200 and 600 million cats spread out across the globe.

Source: BBC News | Comments (14)

Tags: Cats

Comment icon #5 Posted by Claire. on 19 June, 2017, 20:40
Figures the little maniacs domesticated themselves, and took their time doing it too.
Comment icon #6 Posted by DanL on 20 June, 2017, 0:19
Horse dufers!!! Cats are never domesticated. They only act civilized once they get YOU domesticated to their wants and needs and even then they do stuff just to annoy you and mess with your head.
Comment icon #7 Posted by strunk64 on 20 June, 2017, 1:17
The article says "Scientists believe that humanity's relationship with felines began when wild cats started hanging around farms to prey on mice which were being attracted by grain stores." 9000 years ago? Thats what it sounds like anyway.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Myles on 20 June, 2017, 13:28
I've had cats around my whole life. Currently I have 3. One is 16 years old, One is mostly an outside cat and the other is a month old kitten. Personally I would have 2 at a maximum, one indoor and one outdoor. But It's just me against my wife and 2 daughters. Anyhoo, I've never seen them protect the home or persons.
Comment icon #9 Posted by rashore on 20 June, 2017, 13:55
Comment icon #10 Posted by highdesert50 on 20 June, 2017, 13:57
About as domesticated as the seamen who brought them on their journeys.
Comment icon #11 Posted by paperdyer on 20 June, 2017, 17:36
The cats figured they had a good thing going. Food when they wanted it. Attention when they wanted. All that staff and so many things to do. I love cats. I don't have one now because my Brittany thinks cats aregood for chasing only. She groups them with squirrels, birds, possums......
Comment icon #12 Posted by DanL on 21 June, 2017, 1:02
I have two little dogs and one big cat that runs things. Whoever said that dogs and cats don't get along is silly. When I brought the little kitten home my Yorkie got excited and started making milk. She raised that cat and I didn't think she was ever going to wean him. He is spoiled rotten and in general acts more like a dog than a cat...as long as he gets his way. My daughter has three big dogs and now two cats. It used to be three but the old Queen died a year ago. That cat had no claws and not many teeth but all dogs feared her. She jumped on top of a big cow dog that messed with one of he... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Future ghost on 21 June, 2017, 1:14
Cats took one look at humans and realized we would make perfect servants for them.
Comment icon #14 Posted by DanL on 21 June, 2017, 3:58
Truthfully my current cat is amazingly affectionate. I think that he sees me more like a favorite pet than just a servant...as long as I get up and do what he wants in a fairly speedy fashion.

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY