Monday, August 8, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Metaphysics & Psychology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Metaphysics & Psychology

Man awoke from coma with foreign accent

March 17, 2010 | Comment icon 14 comments

Image Credit: sxc.hu
A man who was left in a coma for 6 weeks following a car accident woke up to find he had a foreign accent.
Known as Foreign Accent Syndrome the rare condition can cause someone's accent to change completely as the result of brain injury or stroke. In this case Tom Paterson's accent changed from Scottish to something similar to Polish.
After spending his whole life in Largs, Tom Paterson once had an Ayrshire accent. But when a car crash left him in a coma for six weeks he woke up with a different voice. Tom, 39, now speaks with an accent which sounds strangely European. He believes he has the rare condition Foreign Accent Syndrome which can affect sufferers of brain injuries or strokes. He said: I say thats what I have, it gives me an explanation.

Source: Evening Times | Comments (14)

Comment icon #5 Posted by brlesq1 13 years ago
Knowing my luck I'd go from a male south london accent, to an irate chinese womens accent.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Lizardian_guy 13 years ago
Comment icon #7 Posted by emosonic 13 years ago
Thats strange
Comment icon #8 Posted by clyde barrow 13 years ago
I've heard of this before, and it's always baffled doctors. I've even heard of a case of a woman who began speaking a foreign language. It's always amazed me too. I'm thinking that maybe it's a past life coming through to the current life. And the person is simply speaking the language or dialect of who they were in the past life.
Comment icon #9 Posted by April_Rose 13 years ago
I remember reading once about a Scottish woman who woke up out of a coma with a South African accent
Comment icon #10 Posted by Lizardian_guy 13 years ago
It's always amazed me too. I'm thinking that maybe it's a past life coming through to the current life. And the person is simply speaking the language or dialect of who they were in the past life. It's probably more complicated than that. If reincarnation does exist, then the soul is independent from the brain. If so, brain damage should not allow such things.
Comment icon #11 Posted by kobolds 13 years ago
you all watch too much fringe
Comment icon #12 Posted by hetrodoxly 13 years ago
I'd like it to happen to well known or famous people, can you imagine The Queen waking up with a Gordie accent (for those who don't know) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hO1GPGtetw&feature=related Or Nick Griffin with a deep west Indian accent.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Triade 13 years ago
I once saw a docu about someone who had gotten into an accident. For some reason she spoke another language than her mother language. She couldn't remember any word in her mother language, yet she spoke with an accent. One week she spoke in the foreign language, the other week in her mother language (while being unable to speak in the foreign language, nor understand it) .. this shifted, every week for a couple of months until it restored to normal and she could understand/speak both languages at the same time again.
Comment icon #14 Posted by JonathanVonErich 13 years ago
sound like a seinfeld episode...

Total Posts: 7,309,448    Topics: 300,716    Members: 197,950